For $100 you may be a URM and not even know it

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
iamsinistar

For $100 you may be a URM and not even know it

Postby iamsinistar » Thu Dec 02, 2010 5:33 pm

I am almost tempted to do this and (if appropriate) use it as evidence of being a URM. Anyone else?

--LinkRemoved--

whymeohgodno

Re: For $100 you may be a URM and not even know it

Postby whymeohgodno » Thu Dec 02, 2010 5:35 pm

Lmao.

OGR3

Postby OGR3 » Thu Dec 02, 2010 5:36 pm

Don't.

Chants

Postby Chants » Thu Dec 02, 2010 5:37 pm

Very tempting....haha

krad

Postby krad » Thu Dec 02, 2010 5:40 pm

:lol: lolz

BruceWayne

Postby BruceWayne » Thu Dec 02, 2010 5:40 pm

OP if you find out you are URM, will you be sure to include this when applying for loans, trying to join a country club, applying for jobs, when you try to get our children into prep schools, and will you be sure to notify law enforcement as well?

arism87

Postby arism87 » Thu Dec 02, 2010 5:40 pm

This thread can't be going anywhere good..

ksimon2007

Postby ksimon2007 » Thu Dec 02, 2010 5:41 pm

arism87 wrote:This thread can't be going anywhere good..

+1

JakeL

Postby JakeL » Thu Dec 02, 2010 5:42 pm

Please try this and let me know how it works.

LjakW

Postby LjakW » Thu Dec 02, 2010 5:42 pm

BruceWayne wrote:OP if you find out you are URM, will you be sure to include this when applying for loans, trying to join a country club, applying for jobs, when you try to get our children into prep schools, and will you be sure to notify law enforcement as well?

I'm sure the OP would love to notify employers and schools, they sure love 'diversity,' as do many country clubs nowadays.

krad

Postby krad » Thu Dec 02, 2010 5:43 pm

BruceWayne wrote:OP if you find out you are URM, will you be sure to include this when applying for loans, trying to join a country club, applying for jobs, when you try to get our children into prep schools, and will you be sure to notify law enforcement as well?

This thread can't be going anywhere good..

BrownBears09

Postby BrownBears09 » Thu Dec 02, 2010 5:47 pm

Mad ^

iamsinistar

Postby iamsinistar » Thu Dec 02, 2010 5:52 pm

Country club? Prep school? Dude, please promise me that when you have kids, you won't dress them in the same golf pants and cardigan sweaters you consider fashionable.

iamsinistar

Postby iamsinistar » Thu Dec 02, 2010 5:56 pm

JakeL wrote:Please try this and let me know how it works.

I think I'll let someone else take a crack at it... Just thought it was an interesting project and I could see someone desperate enough to get in to a specific school try it.

Ratchet Jackson

Postby Ratchet Jackson » Thu Dec 02, 2010 6:01 pm

Even though I can't imagine OP is entirely serious...+1

krad

Postby krad » Thu Dec 02, 2010 6:05 pm

iamsinistar wrote:
JakeL wrote:Please try this and let me know how it works.

I think I'll let someone else take a crack at it... Just thought it was an interesting project and I could see someone desperate enough to get in to a specific school try it.

Please if someone does this, let us know how it goes :mrgreen:

Rand M.

Postby Rand M. » Thu Dec 02, 2010 6:08 pm

iamsinistar wrote:

Country club? Prep school? Dude, please promise me that when you have kids, you won't dress them in the same golf pants and cardigan sweaters you consider fashionable.

wow.

ksimon2007 wrote:
arism87 wrote:This thread can't be going anywhere good..

+1

BruceWayne

Postby BruceWayne » Thu Dec 02, 2010 7:55 pm

LjakW wrote:

I'm sure the OP would love to notify employers and schools, they sure love 'diversity,' as do many country clubs nowadays.

http://www.jobbankusa.com/News/Hiring/h ... 0803a.html

"A young, white, male high school graduate with a felony conviction applies in person for entry level jobs as a driver, a dishwasher, a laborer, warehouse worker and production worker that are advertised in the newspaper and admits to employers that he served 18 months in prison for possession of cocaine with intent to sell.

A young black man with similar education, work history and style of presentation, but with no criminal record, applies for the same jobs.

Who do you think is more likely to be called back?

If you picked the white man with the felony conviction, you guessed right.

This study offers evidence that discrimination remains a major factor in the economic lives of black men, and highlights the fear and misunderstanding of black males that permeate the local job market.

Devah Pager, a sociologist at Northwestern University in Evanston, Ill., sent equally matched pairs of testers - two black and two white - to apply for low-skilled jobs at 350 places of employment in the Milwaukee area and found that white ex-offenders were more likely to be called back for an interview than black applicants who had no criminal record."

iamsinistar wrote:

Just how far over your head did that comment go?

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2009/07/0 ... 28013.html

d34d9823

Postby d34d9823 » Thu Dec 02, 2010 8:06 pm

BruceWayne wrote:
LjakW wrote:

http://www.jobbankusa.com/News/Hiring/h ... 0803a.html

"A young, white, male high school graduate with a felony conviction applies in person for entry level jobs as a driver, a dishwasher, a laborer, warehouse worker and production worker that are advertised in the newspaper and admits to employers that he served 18 months in prison for possession of cocaine with intent to sell.

A young black man with similar education, work history and style of presentation, but with no criminal record, applies for the same jobs.

Who do you think is more likely to be called back?

If you picked the white man with the felony conviction, you guessed right.

This study offers evidence that discrimination remains a major factor in the economic lives of black men, and highlights the fear and misunderstanding of black males that permeate the local job market.

Devah Pager, a sociologist at Northwestern University in Evanston, Ill., sent equally matched pairs of testers - two black and two white - to apply for low-skilled jobs at 350 places of employment in the Milwaukee area and found that white ex-offenders were more likely to be called back for an interview than black applicants who had no criminal record."

iamsinistar wrote:

Just how far over your head did that comment go?

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2009/07/0 ... 28013.html

Dude, you have so much of a chip on your shoulder that you might as well be a tree.

vanwinkle

Postby vanwinkle » Thu Dec 02, 2010 8:09 pm

--ImageRemoved--

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”