what are "good" softs and how much do they matter?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
cjr1988

Re: what are "good" softs and how much do they matter?

Postby cjr1988 » Thu Dec 02, 2010 5:15 pm

I'm not sure if I am qualified to comment, but I got some positive feedback on my softs from Jason Dugas at Virginia. He commented on my personal statement. I wrote about how a personal experience with sexual assault has affected my relationship to, and work with, people with disabilities (which is what I do now). He said that using a past experience to show how it affects you now is exactly what they're looking for. Anyway, I am not sure if that helps at all... I think the fact that I am currently working and living with people with disabilities helped too, since I want to do some kind of public interest law.

whymeohgodno

Postby whymeohgodno » Thu Dec 02, 2010 5:58 pm

JakeL wrote:
txadv11 wrote:Do you guys think that money is ever awarded upon extras/softs? What about scholarships after admission? -Aside from poor conditions growing up etc.

I would say that in my case it is likely that my softs have been influential. I've been awarded money everywhere I've been accepted thus far. I am non-urm, bad GPA, and ok LSAT. From looking at lawschoolnumbers for this cycle and last, I shouldn't have been admitted, and have received more money at W&M than those closest to me. Far from scientific, but the same can be said about another school admitted me, Alabama, with respect to $.

Do you have a lawschoolnumbers account by any chance?

JakeL

Postby JakeL » Thu Dec 02, 2010 6:19 pm

yea, it's the same.

dbshjb

Postby dbshjb » Thu Dec 02, 2010 6:25 pm

Could anyone answer my questions regarding financial aid? I have post it in the finacial aid section but I ahve not got any response.

I know Ivy League schools and some private colleges provide need-based financial aid based on parental and family information when we are undergraduates. The financial aid will be applied each year through collegeboard, and student and parents' tax returns will be submitted. The financial aid offered from the colleges and universities don't need to payback.

I would like to understand financial aid in law schools. I know some need-based aid actually is kind of loan and need be returned after graduation from law school. I am wondering which law schools provide need-based aid or grants that is the same as the undergraduate education. That means they provide free money to support the education without payback based on family situation. How much such kind of aid could be provided? Should the aid application apply each year or once for three years? Finally, is Need Access. org. the same institute as collegebaord? Because many law school request the need-based aid application through Need Access.org.

I appreciate any of your reply. Thanks.

whymeohgodno

Postby whymeohgodno » Thu Dec 02, 2010 6:34 pm

JakeL wrote:yea, it's the same.

No offense, it doesn't really look like you outperformed your numbers.

JakeL

Postby JakeL » Thu Dec 02, 2010 6:44 pm

whymeohgodno wrote:
JakeL wrote:yea, it's the same.

No offense, it doesn't really look like you outperformed your numbers.

I am just talking about scholarship money w/respect to W&M and UA combining last cycle and this one, not acceptances. Definitely no offense taken as I agree that it's a really small sample size to take from and I'm certainly not getting anything outrageous, just a few thousand more than those that have slightly better numbers.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”