Freaking about LOR

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
bostonlawchick

Freaking about LOR

Postby bostonlawchick » Thu Dec 02, 2010 11:46 am

I have one LOR in right now, still waiting on one more. I don't know what to do about it... I asked on Halloween for this letter and (after I sent her a bulletted list of things to mention and she showed me a first draft) my professor told me she would fax it by November 12th at the latest. I waited until the 19th, still no letter. Went to see her, she forgot all about it. I've been going to her office twice a week since then, and I emailed twice. I told her I had a deadline of December first, still no letter. I don't know what to do... She's my last resort after another write fell through. I feel my chances at UVA ED slowly slipping away, it makes me sick just thinking about it.

Sympathy? Commiseration? Suggestions? :(

Triple_Entendre

Re: Freaking about LOR

Postby Triple_Entendre » Thu Dec 02, 2010 11:53 am

bostonlawchick wrote:I have one LOR in right now, still waiting on one more. I don't know what to do about it... I asked on Halloween for this letter and (after I sent her a bulletted list of things to mention and she showed me a first draft) my professor told me she would fax it by November 12th at the latest. I waited until the 19th, still no letter. Went to see her, she forgot all about it. I've been going to her office twice a week since then, and I emailed twice. I told her I had a deadline of December first, still no letter. I don't know what to do... She's my last resort after another write fell through. I feel my chances at UVA ED slowly slipping away, it makes me sick just thinking about it.

Sympathy? Commiseration? Suggestions? :(

This happened to me, but a little earlier in the game. Go see them in person, explain to them the importance of the deadline you're trying to meet and subtly let them know that they are the only thing holding you up. Give her a deadline by next week, certainly before finals and tell her that you will send her reminders because you know that she is busy and then end with you really appreciate her dedicating time to write the letter. STRESS THE DEADLINES, though. It worked for me, eventually. :) Hope that helps.

Soda Mixer

Postby Soda Mixer » Thu Dec 02, 2010 11:59 am

Dang, that sucks :( .
I had a similar situation about a month ago. I asked one of my recommenders back in early September, and he said he'd fax the letter by October 15. I stopped by a couple times in late October to remind him but ultimately moved on and asked another professor. The new guy wrote and submitted the letter within four days (hopefully it's good), and I was finally able to submit my apps on November 8.
The first professor's letter processed November 9 :|

Yeah, the whole LOR ordeal was definitely my least favorite part of the application process (with Logic Games a strong second).

PinkCow

Postby PinkCow » Thu Dec 02, 2010 1:53 pm

So lame! My sympathies. For that reason I asked 4 different professors for LORs.

I asked all of them in early September. I received one today :D

Just visit them like every day or something.

krad

Postby krad » Thu Dec 02, 2010 1:57 pm

I just flipped out this AM: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=139550

I feel your pain ! I have no idea if my second LOR writer actually has sent it or not. From what LSAC has told me, I'd guess he hasn't mailed it yet. I doubt it would take over 3 weeks :(

edit: Good luck! I just contacted a new LOR writer today for a backup option :roll: . He's going to fax it this week...

queenlizzie13

Postby queenlizzie13 » Fri Dec 03, 2010 3:14 am

I sent all of my letter writers a personal handwritten thank you note as well.

This worked like a charm. Got mine all in by my deadline of November 1st.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”