Potential transcript fail?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
gobuffs10

Potential transcript fail?

Postby gobuffs10 » Thu Dec 02, 2010 1:58 am

I was a stupid punk at 18 and went to college unprepared and with poor study skills. I partied, skipped class, and did as little as humanly possible. My grades definitely suffered. After two years of failing, I dropped out, took a year off, and decided to enroll at another school.

I went from Cs, Ds and Fs to straight As and Bs at my new school. Any classes that had equivalents transferred, and so they are represented on my degree-granting institution's transcript. According to LSAC's CAS, I need a transcript from my degree-granting institution. It doesn't say anything about transfer schools or reenrolling, but it does mention needing transcripts from places where I have only incomplete or withdrawn grades. Do I need to send my abysmal transcript from my first school even though all of the relevant courses are on my graduating transcript? I'm hoping beyond hope that it's not necessary, as it would destroy my GPA.

Can I just send the one transcript or am I screwed? If I am screwed, how can I semi-unscrew myself? Addendum? Hemlock? Who knows?

whymeohgodno

Re: Potential transcript fail?

Postby whymeohgodno » Thu Dec 02, 2010 1:59 am

You're fucked. LSAC counts all those fails/d's.

calilaw

Postby calilaw » Thu Dec 02, 2010 2:00 am

Send all transcripts.. I took a single pass/no pass class at a local state university while in high school and still sent in a transcript.
Last edited by calilaw on Thu Dec 02, 2010 2:02 am, edited 3 times in total.

BlueDiamond

Postby BlueDiamond » Thu Dec 02, 2010 2:00 am

Can't really unscrew yourself. Try an addendum, but it is mostly numbers based and they only help to a certain extent. Best advice is probably a 175-plus LSAT. Good luck though.

gobuffs10

Postby gobuffs10 » Thu Dec 02, 2010 2:02 am

I hate my life.

EDIT: Haven't found my old transcripts yet but it's looking like my 3.3, which would have been a 3.5 by the end of this semester, is now going to be a solid 2.8.

Pass the hemlock.

lalalawya

Postby lalalawya » Thu Dec 02, 2010 2:12 am

I feel your pain. Took a couple of college classes in HS that I was totally unprepared for. Did nothing but hurt my GPA.
I would write an addendum emphasizing your dramatic turnaround, including an explanation for the poor grades (if it is a reasonable one) and then reassurance that you will not "relapse."

lalalawya

Postby lalalawya » Thu Dec 02, 2010 2:12 am

do you have a LSAT score yet?

whymeohgodno

Postby whymeohgodno » Thu Dec 02, 2010 2:15 am

The LSAC is unforgiving. :(

gobuffs10

Postby gobuffs10 » Thu Dec 02, 2010 2:17 am

156 with ~10 hours study time. Took a course and more PTs, currently low 160s. Taking next weekend but thinking of skipping until June and applying next cycle when I have more grades to balance this crap out.

Don't really have a reason for the poor performance. Had a 3.2 in high school with a 30 ACT, which is what got me into school. I do have major depressive disorder and generalized anxiety disorder which obviously have an effect on my mood, which in turn affects my desire to do anything at all. Other than that I can't really explain it away.

Er, now that I've disclosed that, I guess I should point out that the hemlock thing is a joke. Oops. I will not an hero on cam.

gobuffs10

Postby gobuffs10 » Thu Dec 02, 2010 2:18 am

whymeohgodno wrote:The LSAC is unforgiving. :(

Yeah really. Oh well. I can't change what's done but I can take steps to strengthen what I can control. Great PS, better LSAT and maybe (probably) waiting until next cycle.

lalalawya

Postby lalalawya » Thu Dec 02, 2010 2:24 am

gobuffs10 wrote:156 with ~10 hours study time. Took a course and more PTs, currently low 160s. Taking next weekend but thinking of skipping until June and applying next cycle when I have more grades to balance this crap out.

Don't really have a reason for the poor performance. Had a 3.2 in high school with a 30 ACT, which is what got me into school. I do have major depressive disorder and generalized anxiety disorder which obviously have an effect on my mood, which in turn affects my desire to do anything at all. Other than that I can't really explain it away.

Er, now that I've disclosed that, I guess I should point out that the hemlock thing is a joke. Oops. I will not an hero on cam.

Have you only taken it once? If so, you should still take it next weekend (if you feel prepared, of course) just to see where you are at. Plus, what is you end up getting a great score and can still apply this cycle?

If not, taking it in June is always a good option. Waiting another cycle will allow you to pad your GPA with a whole other semester.

As bad as it sounds, from what I have gathered here on this site, you probably do not want to explain away poor academic performance with different disorders. Law schools may question your abilitity to perform (I have GAD too, and I was told not to mention it even though it is mild and is well treated). But then again, you can use your poor performance a few years ago as the starting gate and be like "after I received treatment for my various disorders, I was able to begin to perform to my fullest potential, as evident in my most recent six semester...etc. etc."

Good luck!

gobuffs10

Postby gobuffs10 » Thu Dec 02, 2010 2:28 am

Found my old transcript.

It's even better than I thought. LSDAS is going to be a 2.59. Didn't realize they counted repeated courses even though the school does not.

Should I forget this whole law school thing? Honestly? I have no T14 aspirations, but wanted T50. I think I'm fucked.

EDIT: Law School Predictor has me in a few of the places I want to go...if I get a 170.

im_blue

Postby im_blue » Thu Dec 02, 2010 2:32 am

gobuffs10 wrote:After two years of failing, I dropped out, took a year off, and decided to enroll at another school.

I went from Cs, Ds and Fs to straight As and Bs at my new school. Any classes that had equivalents transferred, and so they are represented on my degree-granting institution's transcript.

gobuffs10 wrote:Haven't found my old transcripts yet but it's looking like my 3.3, which would have been a 3.5 by the end of this semester, is now going to be a solid 2.8.

It's very likely that your LSAC GPA will be even lower than a 2.8, because LSAC will count all those C/D/Fs from your "two years of failing" that didn't transfer to your UG transcript. You should really find those old transcripts and calculate it for sure.

EDIT: Yeah that 2.59 hurts. If you're still in UG, delay graduation until you can pull it up to a 3.0+. Otherwise, get a 170+ and apply to splitter-friendly schools like WUSTL, Illinois, and Minnesota. Or get 1-2 years of WE and ED to Northwestern.
Last edited by im_blue on Thu Dec 02, 2010 2:35 am, edited 2 times in total.

$1.99

Postby $1.99 » Thu Dec 02, 2010 2:32 am

get in the 170's and you will be able to get in somewhere with a good PS and some decent softs. Maybe get work experience for a couple years before you apply

Total Litigator

Postby Total Litigator » Thu Dec 02, 2010 2:33 am

Also, if you can get some solid work experience, or at least job that you actually enjoy (an employer might be more forgiving regarding your grades than will LSAC) you can put a buffer between you and your grades, and law schools will give you an easier time when you do apply. I think that's the best option here, unless you are able to get a 170+ on the LSAT. Even then however, work experience is always a good idea when applying to law school, especially if your undergraduate grades are not outstanding (the good kind of outstanding that is).

calilaw

Postby calilaw » Thu Dec 02, 2010 2:34 am

Go for a high LSAT score. Devote yourself to it. And give yourself plenty of time to prepare. That's your only hope - but it is hope.

gobuffs10

Postby gobuffs10 » Thu Dec 02, 2010 2:35 am

calilaw wrote:Go for a high LSAT score. Devote yourself to it. And give yourself plenty of time to prepare. That's your only hope - but it is hope.

Yeah. It is better than nothing.

calilaw

Postby calilaw » Thu Dec 02, 2010 2:36 am

gobuffs10 wrote:
calilaw wrote:Go for a high LSAT score. Devote yourself to it. And give yourself plenty of time to prepare. That's your only hope - but it is hope.

Yeah. It is better than nothing.

And as daunting as it may seem, the LSAT is something you can prepare for and improve on. I improved 14 points over 3 months of steady preparation.

Total Litigator

Postby Total Litigator » Thu Dec 02, 2010 2:37 am

High LSAT score + work experience is the correct answer here. Just a high LSAT score is the working plan if no one will hire you or you can only find jobs you would hate.

whymeohgodno

Postby whymeohgodno » Thu Dec 02, 2010 2:38 am

You can still get T14 with 170+ and WE ed to Northwestern.

I've heard Emory takes anyone with a 166.

gobuffs10

Postby gobuffs10 » Thu Dec 02, 2010 2:42 am

whymeohgodno wrote:You can still get T14 with 170+ and WE ed to Northwestern.

Guess I need to kick the shit out of this test and wait 'til next cycle.

Thank you all for being so kind about this...from lurking these forums I thought I was going to get laughed at. Not going to lie, though, this does feel pretty shitty at the moment.

I have an internship at a firm with a family friend who has hinted at potentially hiring me on, but probably for very little money. Would a year there before I apply make any difference? I assume an internship is not considered WE.

NayBoer

Postby NayBoer » Thu Dec 02, 2010 2:59 am

gobuffs10 wrote:

Thank you all for being so kind about this...from lurking these forums I thought I was going to get laughed at. Not going to lie, though, this does feel pretty shitty at the moment.

I have an internship at a firm with a family friend who has hinted at potentially hiring me on, but probably for very little money. Would a year there before I apply make any difference? I assume an internship is not considered WE.
I'd put a year-long internship under "Experience" on my resume and list the position as "Blankety Blank Intern." Ideally, you would convince this family friend to hire you on as an employee rather than an intern, though.

One year of work experience probably won't make much of a difference at most of the law schools you'll be applying to, except Northwestern where it's essentially mandatory. If you can hit that 170-172+ range with 1-2 years of work experience, you would have a shot with Early Decision.

im_blue

Postby im_blue » Thu Dec 02, 2010 3:00 am

gobuffs10 wrote:

Northwestern considers only full-time post-college WE, so an internship probably counts even though it's unpaid or low-paid.

gobuffs10

Postby gobuffs10 » Thu Dec 02, 2010 3:08 am

Yeah I think I would be an $8.00/hr no benefits employee/bitch. I'll also have to move in with my girlfriend. We'll see what can be done. The dream is now that much further but still not impossible.

Good decision on my part to get a real marketable degree in History. :D

gobuffs10

Postby gobuffs10 » Thu Dec 02, 2010 3:15 am

On the plus side if I can even score 165+ I have shots at the schools I wanted to go to anyway.

Although trying for the 170+, waiting and hoping for ED at NW is semi-tempting.

Must...keep...head...up.

All my whining aside, thanks for the advice everyone.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”