Omitted a word in my DS - send each school a revision?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
PrayingforHYS

Omitted a word in my DS - send each school a revision?

Postby PrayingforHYS » Thu Dec 02, 2010 1:45 am

I have like...3 applications that I've yet to submit, and lo and behold, I find a typo. It's not exactly a typo...I actually omitted the word "the" from between two words in a sentence.

Now that I've spotted the error (and I must've missed this on the previous 50 reads), it sticks out like a sore thumb. It's quite obvious that I forgot the word 'the,' so at this point, with 20 applications (yes, 20 ... i'd like options) already submitted (submitted within the last 1-2 weeks, mostly), should I just make the correction for the last few apps and breathe a deep sigh of frustration and hope the 20 schools don't crucify me, or should I insert the missing word into each DS and send the revised version as an attachment to each law school?

Thanks.

bergg007

Re: Omitted a word in my DS - send each school a revision?

Postby bergg007 » Thu Dec 02, 2010 1:48 am

PrayingforHYS wrote:I have like...3 applications that I've yet to submit, and lo and behold, I find a typo. It's not exactly a typo...I actually omitted the word "the" from between two words in a sentence.

Now that I've spotted the error (and I must've missed this on the previous 50 reads), it sticks out like a sore thumb. It's quite obvious that I forgot the word 'the,' so at this point, with 20 applications (yes, 20 ... i'd like options) already submitted (submitted within the last 1-2 weeks, mostly), should I just make the correction for the last few apps and breathe a deep sigh of frustration, or should I insert the missing word into each DS and send the revised version as an attachment to each law school?

Thanks.

unless you forgot the not in i'm (not) a mass murderer as well, i wouldn't worry about. give your ds to a friend and ask them to mark any typos, if they mis it give it to another friend. If a couple of people miss it like you did, odds are the school will miss it too. I don't think they'll reject you for a little typo.

whymeohgodno

Postby whymeohgodno » Thu Dec 02, 2010 3:26 am

bergg007 wrote:
PrayingforHYS wrote:I have like...3 applications that I've yet to submit, and lo and behold, I find a typo. It's not exactly a typo...I actually omitted the word "the" from between two words in a sentence.

Now that I've spotted the error (and I must've missed this on the previous 50 reads), it sticks out like a sore thumb. It's quite obvious that I forgot the word 'the,' so at this point, with 20 applications (yes, 20 ... i'd like options) already submitted (submitted within the last 1-2 weeks, mostly), should I just make the correction for the last few apps and breathe a deep sigh of frustration, or should I insert the missing word into each DS and send the revised version as an attachment to each law school?

Thanks.

unless you forgot the not in i'm (not) a mass murderer as well, i wouldn't worry about. give your ds to a friend and ask them to mark any typos, if they mis it give it to another friend. If a couple of people miss it like you did, odds are the school will miss it too. I don't think they'll reject you for a little typo.

Yale will.

PrayingforHYS

Postby PrayingforHYS » Thu Dec 02, 2010 11:18 am

whymeohgodno wrote:
bergg007 wrote:

Thanks.

Yale will.

While I find that amusing, Yale is not one of the applications that has gone out yet. Now that it's the morning, maybe I'll get a little more feedback. I'm kind of leaning towards just biting the bullet and hoping they don't trash my app, but it really wouldn't be too difficult to add the missing word to each DS and e-mail a revision to each school...not sure.

Postby 2014 » Thu Dec 02, 2010 11:24 am

I don't think it will hurt you. A DS is a supplement to the application anyway and I imagine they read it less carefully than they do the PS or Resume for example. Even if they do notice, if it is the only mistake you made they won't care.

Other than Yale.

dbrddr

Postby dbrddr » Thu Dec 02, 2010 11:33 am

I left out an apostrophe in my résumé and a preposition in my PS. Harvard didn't notice/seem to care.

Good thing I noticed these things before submitting to Yale.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”