December grads, what to do until Law school?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
stefpup

Re: December grads, what to do until Law school?

Postby stefpup » Thu Dec 02, 2010 1:54 pm

Barbie wrote:
stefpup wrote:I would say that it depends on your personality and work ethic. If you are a person who has a hard time sitting still and not doing anything then you might want to look into the legal job or at least something more mentally challenging than waiting tables which is much more of an exercise in patience and social skils. If you prefer relaxation then it might be better to go for the waiting job.
I've worked full-time through my last two years of undergrad, and I'm trying to figure out what to do with all of my free time next year.

My suggestion is find something that won't stress you out for the next few months, and save as much money as possible.

As someone who is currently working at her 2nd legal job and who waitressed for 6 years, this is not only inaccurate-- but backwards! At both legal jobs, I sit on my ass all day. I do paperwork. Waiting tables was constant motion, movement, doing this that and another. Very fast paced.

I was speaking more in terms of mental tasking but my statement was poorly phrased. Waiting tables can be frantic depending on where you are working but not necessarily mentally demanding. I would assume that your paperwork processing is more mentally demanding than waiting tables?

OGR3

Postby OGR3 » Thu Dec 02, 2010 1:56 pm

I managed a movie theater during my year off.

It was 100% mindless drone work, but I got to see all the movies I wanted for free and learned how to run a $40,000 projector.

Also, it was ridiculously low stress, which I really liked.

Barbie

Postby Barbie » Thu Dec 02, 2010 1:59 pm

stefpup wrote:
Barbie wrote:As someone who is currently working at her 2nd legal job and who waitressed for 6 years, this is not only inaccurate-- but backwards! At both legal jobs, I sit on my ass all day. I do paperwork. Waiting tables was constant motion, movement, doing this that and another. Very fast paced.

I was speaking more in terms of mental tasking but my statement was poorly phrased. Waiting tables can be frantic depending on where you are working but not necessarily mentally demanding. I would assume that your paperwork processing is more mentally demanding than waiting tables?

nope. I wish. Until you are an actual attorney, this stuff is pretty cut, dry, and boring. I just play with dockets and pleadings and files all day. YIPPEEEE! (Oh, but I do get to help decorate the office Christmas tree today. Preeeeeeeeetty exciting! lol...)

mrmangs

Postby mrmangs » Thu Dec 02, 2010 2:03 pm

Waiting tables and all that will also help you develop your social skills... Not a trivial thing for most lawyers.

clr2277

Postby clr2277 » Thu Dec 02, 2010 2:07 pm

Barbie wrote:
stefpup wrote:
Barbie wrote:As someone who is currently working at her 2nd legal job and who waitressed for 6 years, this is not only inaccurate-- but backwards! At both legal jobs, I sit on my ass all day. I do paperwork. Waiting tables was constant motion, movement, doing this that and another. Very fast paced.

nope. I wish. Until you are an actual attorney, this stuff is pretty cut, dry, and boring. I just play with dockets and pleadings and files all day. YIPPEEEE! (Oh, but I do get to help decorate the office Christmas tree today. Preeeeeeeeetty exciting! lol...)

I agree with you Barbie. I've worked waiting tables since I was in high school, and I've worked at two different law firms. I plan on going back to the law firm I worked at over the summer just to keep the connections because they've already offered me a FT position for the spring, but it's incredibly boring. I'll probably still work on the weekends waiting tables for the money, though. Hopefully two jobs will keep me busy enough so I won't need to obsessively look at my status checkers like I do now...

txadv11

Postby txadv11 » Thu Dec 02, 2010 4:12 pm

UPS is hiring assistants to work on trucks for 8.50/hr....wahoo thats a +0.50 increase from target!

Come on...I have to find a 9-10$ job....I don't care what I do or where I work (within reason) I just want to put away every penny I earn while I'm still living at home for free, before law school.

and to the people above who suggested a bank, thanks, I will be applying today.

gatorgirl4life

Postby gatorgirl4life » Thu Dec 02, 2010 4:14 pm

bartending on the beach + part-time internship with an attorney + enjoying life before law school

JenDarby

Postby JenDarby » Thu Dec 02, 2010 4:23 pm

:mrgreen:
Last edited by JenDarby on Wed Aug 10, 2011 4:29 am, edited 1 time in total.

Soda Mixer

Postby Soda Mixer » Thu Dec 02, 2010 4:29 pm

txadv11 wrote:UPS is hiring assistants to work on trucks for 8.50/hr....wahoo thats a +0.50 increase from target!

Come on...I have to find a 9-10$ job....I don't care what I do or where I work (within reason) I just want to put away every penny I earn while I'm still living at home for free, before law school.

Do you have a car+clean driving record? If so, you might want to try and get a pizza delivery job. My first work experience was at Papa John's, and I averaged between $12 and $16 an hour. Plus, it's pretty cool to leave with cash in your pocket every night.

txadv11

Postby txadv11 » Thu Dec 02, 2010 4:41 pm

Soda Mixer wrote:
txadv11 wrote:UPS is hiring assistants to work on trucks for 8.50/hr....wahoo thats a +0.50 increase from target!

Do you have a car+clean driving record? If so, you might want to try and get a pizza delivery job. My first work experience was at Papa John's, and I averaged between $12 and $16 an hour. Plus, it's pretty cool to leave with cash in your pocket every night.

100% clean, only problem is I drive a pretty nice SUV that is getting around 65K miles/ big maintenance time. I get around 10 MPG, and am in need of tires and shocks ASAP... I guess it never hurts to apply and see what I can get though. I appreciate the idea.

lolol10

Postby lolol10 » Thu Dec 02, 2010 4:50 pm

i talked to some adcoms about this. they said it doesnt really matter--just do something that you enjoy. i was going to work at a fortune 500 for 9 months then jump ship on them. instead im finishing a book im writing, drinking excessively, traveling, recording music/touring. basically just have fun.

schrizto

Postby schrizto » Sat Dec 04, 2010 4:49 am

txadv11 wrote:
Soda Mixer wrote:

100% clean, only problem is I drive a pretty nice SUV that is getting around 65K miles/ big maintenance time. I get around 10 MPG, and am in need of tires and shocks ASAP... I guess it never hurts to apply and see what I can get though. I appreciate the idea.

You probably wouldn't use your own car to deliver pizza. Not sure about Papa John's but most pizza chains (thinking of Domino's here) have you drive their own cars with their logo on it.

mths

Postby mths » Sat Dec 04, 2010 4:58 am

sleep

sleep as much as you can

trust me

StillHerexxx

Postby StillHerexxx » Sat Dec 04, 2010 2:09 pm

I have been working retail since I started my undergrad, and it is the most boring and mindless job ever. Plus, I get paid virtually nothing. I graduate sunday, so I am going to hold onto the job for now, but a few of my friends have connections with construction companies and wood removal services, so I am working on getting a job with one of those. I have been going to school and thinking for 17 years, I want to do as much manuel labor and think-free work for the next 8 months as possible. It will make thinking much more desirable when august comes around and both pay well.

Also, learning to speak Spanish. Should help the career prospects.

maxm2764

Postby maxm2764 » Sat Dec 04, 2010 8:56 pm

Does anyone know how hard it is to get a retail position at Apple?

StillHerexxx

Postby StillHerexxx » Sun Dec 05, 2010 12:30 am

Not hard. My friend got a job at the huge Boston one out of high school, more lucky to go In at right time. He maid around 12/hr too.

maxm2764

Postby maxm2764 » Sun Dec 05, 2010 10:05 am

StillHerexxx wrote:Not hard. My friend got a job at the huge Boston one out of high school, more lucky to go In at right time. He maid around 12/hr too.

Really? Well I definitely wouldn't mind working there, now just to actually get the job.

sundance95

Postby sundance95 » Sun Dec 05, 2010 10:23 am

tkgrrett wrote:2) I have zero restaurant/table waiting experience.

Yes, you do. See how easy that was?

im_blue wrote:You don't have to tell employers that you're going to law school.

TITMFCR. Here's the thing about employers-they don't tell you they are going to fire you 6-8 months out. Why should you feel obligated to tell them you are quitting?

tkgrrett wrote:I could lie or mislead but I know that for some of these jobs the HR people or managers get evaluated partly on their rate of turnover.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

I needed that this morning, thank you. Once you start working for a living for any decently long period of time, you'll look back on the days when you worried about HR department workers and laugh, oh the laughter. Those innocent halcyon days.

txadv11

Postby txadv11 » Sun Dec 05, 2010 10:31 am

maxm2764 wrote:
StillHerexxx wrote:Not hard. My friend got a job at the huge Boston one out of high school, more lucky to go In at right time. He maid around 12/hr too.

Really? Well I definitely wouldn't mind working there, now just to actually get the job.

I applied last week. I have a year of sales experience at a competitor, my BA, and "open availability" never got a call. :roll:

Working at UPS starting tomorrow

maxm2764

Postby maxm2764 » Sun Dec 05, 2010 10:31 am

sundance95 wrote:I needed that this morning, thank you. Once you start working for a living for any decently long period of time, you'll look back on the days when you worried about HR department workers and laugh, oh the laughter. Those innocent halcyon days.

When I think of HR, this is what I think of:

arism87

Postby arism87 » Sun Dec 05, 2010 10:33 am

Like most people, I would suggest waiting tables or working at a bank- I did both in high school and in college for summer jobs, so they knew it was temporary and I hadn't had prior experience. As far as your resume- you don't need to tell them all that, and I think employers are used to overqualified candidates ITE. In such places, an intelligent employee is more important than turnover, because you won't require much training anyway- and hey, at a bank they won't need to pay you much for it! Lol. They're low stress (at least in the sense that you don't take your work home with you, as I found waiting tables pretty stressful lol) Good way to chill for a few months and save money.

maxm2764

Postby maxm2764 » Sun Dec 05, 2010 10:34 am

txadv11 wrote:I applied last week. I have a year of sales experience at a competitor, my BA, and "open availability" never got a call. :roll:

Working at UPS starting tomorrow

Yeah, I've heard that it's actually pretty tough to get a job there. Who would of thought that getting a job in retail would be so difficult?

Edit: In before ITE.

sundance95

Postby sundance95 » Sun Dec 05, 2010 10:37 am

^arism

Good advice. If you're over-qualified, dumb down your resume. If they require one year of waiting experience-lie, say you worked at Le FrooFroo for a year but they unfortunately shut down so there's no place to call for a reference. I have several friends who now work in fine dining restaurants that started this way.

Trust me, if you can't learn order placing software in a day you probably couldn't have gotten into law school. As other posters have noted, the main thing about waiting is the fast pace and having to be social-both great skills to work on for a future lawyer.

ahduth

Postby ahduth » Sun Dec 05, 2010 10:39 am

sundance95 wrote:
tkgrrett wrote:2) I have zero restaurant/table waiting experience.

Yes, you do. See how easy that was?

im_blue wrote:You don't have to tell employers that you're going to law school.

TITMFCR. Here's the thing about employers-they don't tell you they are going to fire you 6-8 months out. Why should you feel obligated to tell them you are quitting?

tkgrrett wrote:I could lie or mislead but I know that for some of these jobs the HR people or managers get evaluated partly on their rate of turnover.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

I needed that this morning, thank you. Once you start working for a living for any decently long period of time, you'll look back on the days when you worried about HR department workers and laugh, oh the laughter. Those innocent halcyon days.

Your snarkiness is cute, and maybe you're right. I'm skeptical though. This type of stuff sticks out like a sore thumb during an interview. I see 9 months of work on a resume, during which I know the person has to have been accepted into law school since they started school August of 2011. I ask, "what was the nature of this work? You were on a contract?" If you look shifty or I get a bad vibe during the interview, I punt you. There's just no reason for me to give you a pass on a character issue like that, if I think you're going to leave my firm for some better offer at the first opportunity.

Maybe OCI interviewers don't care as much, but I sort of doubt it. The interviews sound like they're entirely about character and fit, since they know your grades already. Anyhow, do whatever makes you feel comfortable.

sundance95

Postby sundance95 » Sun Dec 05, 2010 10:45 am

ahduth wrote:Your snarkiness is cute, and maybe you're right. I'm skeptical though. This type of stuff sticks out like a sore thumb during an interview. I see 9 months of work on a resume, during which I know the person has to have been accepted into law school since they started school August of 2011. I ask, "what was the nature of this work? You were on a contract?" If you look shifty or I get a bad vibe during the interview, I punt you. There's just no reason for me to give you a pass on a character issue like that, if I think you're going to leave my firm for some better offer at the first opportunity.

Maybe OCI interviewers don't care as much, but I sort of doubt it. The interviews sound like they're entirely about character and fit, since they know your grades already. Anyhow, do whatever makes you feel comfortable.

You are assuming we live in a bizarre world where its better to have no WE before LS than having some and having to necessarily leave it. And if someone did ask why you left, I'd say you'd have a prettay prettay good reason: "I started law school." Firms won't know when you were accepted to law school.

Finally, you'd put waiting table work on a resume you are sending to law firms? Volunteer 10 hours a month for something you like and put that during that time period instead.

PS: Not snark. Truf.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”