Why do applicants withdraw applications (after submitting)? Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
ComatoseClown

Bronze

Why do applicants withdraw applications (after submitting)?

Post by ComatoseClown » Wed Dec 01, 2010 5:25 pm

In browsing LawSchoolNumbers, I'm noticing that a decent amount of applicants withdraw their applications to other schools after they get admitted to one of their preferred law school choices. Why do they do this? (Is there some monetary advantage that ensues, such as a refund? I can't reasonably guess there is because a lot of the withdrawals I'm seeing occur more than a month following the application's "complete" status.)

I apologize if the above is a "noob" question; I'm still new to the admissions process.
Last edited by ComatoseClown on Wed Dec 01, 2010 5:26 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Ginj

Silver

Re: Why do applicants withdraw their applications?

Post by Ginj » Wed Dec 01, 2010 5:26 pm

Letting schools know that you've decided not to attend opens up a slot for someone on the waitlist...and possible scholarship money. It's the nice thing to do.

im_blue

Gold

Re: Why do applicants withdraw applications (after submitting)?

Post by im_blue » Wed Dec 01, 2010 5:29 pm

ED admits are required to immediately withdraw all other pending applications. RD admits don't have to withdraw, but it's common courtesy to other applicants who are waiting on decisions or on the waitlist, if one has no further interest in that school.

whymeohgodno

Gold

Post by whymeohgodno » Wed Dec 01, 2010 5:29 pm

Some people ED to certain schools and withdraw from other schools if they get in ED.

Some people just have top choices that they know they will attend if they get in so they withdraw.

4for44

Bronze

Post by 4for44 » Wed Dec 01, 2010 5:33 pm

Ginj wrote:Letting schools know that you've decided not to attend opens up a slot for someone on the waitlist...and possible scholarship money. It's the nice right thing to do.
TITCR

If your not attending, stringing admissions along for the ride not only holds up money and a slot that could go to a deserving TLSer student, it also is really unprofessional. It's only courteous to inform a school that has accepted you and possibly given you money, so they can build their classes with as much info as possible.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

whymeohgodno

Gold

Post by whymeohgodno » Wed Dec 01, 2010 5:40 pm

4for44 wrote:
Ginj wrote:Letting schools know that you've decided not to attend opens up a slot for someone on the waitlist...and possible scholarship money. It's the nice right thing to do.
TITCR

If your not attending, stringing admissions along for the ride not only holds up money and a slot that could go to a deserving TLSer student, it also is really unprofessional. It's only courteous to inform a school that has accepted you and possibly given you money, so they can build their classes with as much info as possible.
To be fair a lot of students use peer schools scholarship money to leverage more $ from schools they would rather attend.

ComatoseClown

Bronze

Post by ComatoseClown » Wed Dec 01, 2010 5:41 pm

Thx, I follow so far -- that's a very humble (and professional) mindset to have, as you guys attest.

1. Wouldn't it be nice to wait it out until all decisions are made, allowing you to see the totality of all law schools you got into? (Couldn't you just kindly deny their offer after they evaluate your paid application and return you a decision?)

2. So is this to say that people who withdraw 7 months before the required notification deadline, are generally mentally fixed on attending their other choice, and wouldn't consider any other options? (My guess is an obvious yes.)

im_blue

Gold

Post by im_blue » Wed Dec 01, 2010 5:51 pm

ComatoseClown wrote:Thx, I follow so far -- that's a very humble (and professional) mindset to have, as you guys attest.

1. Wouldn't it be nice to wait it out until all decisions are made, allowing you to see the totality of all law schools you got into? (Couldn't you just kindly deny their offer after they evaluate your paid application and return you a decision?)

2. So is this to say that people who withdraw 7 months before the required notification deadline, are generally mentally fixed on attending their other choice, and wouldn't consider any other options? (My guess is an obvious yes.)
1) Yes, since you paid the app fee you always have the right to wait for a final decision with scholarship offers, regardless of other acceptances.
2) Yes

HeavenWood

Gold

Post by HeavenWood » Wed Dec 01, 2010 6:15 pm

whymeohgodno wrote: To be fair a lot of students use peer schools scholarship money to leverage more $ from schools they would rather attend.
This.

Bottom line: Avoid burning any bridges until your cycle has run its full course. Even if you wait until the bitter end, your spot will still be filled by someone else.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”