Question about law firm experience (or lack thereof) as it a Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
Gotti

Gold

Question about law firm experience (or lack thereof) as it a

Post by Gotti » Wed Dec 01, 2010 2:21 pm

Okay so I know that it’s not absolutely necessary to have had a job at a law firm before you apply, but obviously it looks like you actually give a shit about the field you are choosing as your career if you have had law firm experience. I graduated in June and applying to be class of 2014 and I’ve been working 20+ hours a week since the summer after my freshman year of UG, but I have absolutely no experience at a law firm. I have been a Website Development Intern, a Customer Service Rep, and am currently in the Purchasing Dept at my company (for the past 2.5 yrs). The reason for this is because these jobs have paid well and I’ve been trying to pay rent and my own expenses (outside of tuition), and a law firm job just hasn’t come around. I’ve interviewed and stuff, but nothing happened or they offered me too little money.

My question is, will law schools look at this lack of law firm experience as a negative and like I don’t have a passion for what I do? I’ve submitted all my apps and I’ve written about the area of law I’m passionate about in my DS and my Why X essays, but my resume does not reflect this. Will this come off as me BSing my passion? Should I send them all a letter explaining the reasons I don’t have this experience?

& I have an interview with a NU Alum next Monday and I’m certain he’ll ask me why I haven’t had any experience. Is the honest response (that it wasn’t financially feasible) the right one?

lshamlet

Bronze

Re: Question about law firm experience (or lack thereof) as it a

Post by lshamlet » Wed Dec 01, 2010 2:24 pm

you're mistaken, dude. law schools don't care about law firm experience at all. it could barely, barely help you if you worked in one for a long time, but that's it. they don't care about your internship or the fact taht you're a paralegal or anything. it's not like med school.

tourdeforcex

Bronze

Post by tourdeforcex » Wed Dec 01, 2010 2:26 pm

law schools don't care about law firm experience at all.
+1

just make sure you can answer "why do you want to go to law school? and why do you want to go to NU?" very very well.

gambelda

Bronze

Post by gambelda » Wed Dec 01, 2010 2:29 pm

EDIT: Saw your work experience for 2.5 yrs which I somehow missed the first read through. You're fine, don't worry.
Last edited by gambelda on Wed Dec 01, 2010 2:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

jwaters

Bronze

Post by jwaters » Wed Dec 01, 2010 2:31 pm

Your lack of experience will not hurt you at all. What will hurt you is writing about how "passionate" you are about a field of law you have no experience with.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Gotti

Gold

Post by Gotti » Wed Dec 01, 2010 2:36 pm

gambelda wrote:You should be more worried about your assumed immaturity because of your lack of fulltime consistent WE than your lack of law firm experience. Prepare for the WE question instead.
Oh I was still considered an intern when I was working full time at my old job…and I’m still considered an intern with over 2.5 years of being at my current company…even when I’m working FT, so I don’t think the immaturity thing would be a problem for me. I have definitely been working in and out of school for the past 3.5 years. The companies just happen to CALL me an intern even if I’ve been working for a long time lol

Ratchet Jackson

Gold

Post by Ratchet Jackson » Wed Dec 01, 2010 2:43 pm

Gotti wrote:
gambelda wrote:You should be more worried about your assumed immaturity because of your lack of fulltime consistent WE than your lack of law firm experience. Prepare for the WE question instead.
Oh I was still considered an intern when I was working full time at my old job…and I’m still considered an intern with over 2.5 years of being at my current company…even when I’m working FT, so I don’t think the immaturity thing would be a problem for me. I have definitely been working in and out of school for the past 3.5 years. The companies just happen to CALL me an intern even if I’ve been working for a long time lol
You work in the purchasing dept? Maybe you can get your employer to switch your title from intern to junior buyer or something.

whymeohgodno

Gold

Post by whymeohgodno » Wed Dec 01, 2010 2:48 pm

This isn't med school. They don't care.

Gotti

Gold

Post by Gotti » Wed Dec 01, 2010 3:05 pm

RJ127 wrote:
Gotti wrote:
You work in the purchasing dept? Maybe you can get your employer to switch your title from intern to junior buyer or something.

thanks ryan. very helpful.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

gambelda

Bronze

Post by gambelda » Wed Dec 01, 2010 3:07 pm

Gotti wrote:
Yeah I think you'll be fine. See my EDIT in my above post. Totally missed the 2.5 years you mentioned.

Gold

Post by 094320 » Wed Dec 01, 2010 4:36 pm

krad

Gold

Post by krad » Wed Dec 01, 2010 4:43 pm

jwaters wrote:Your lack of experience will not hurt you at all. What will hurt you is writing about how "passionate" you are about a field of law you have no experience with.
This. If you read through some of the dean interviews here on TLS I believe it's mentioned a few times, especially in regards to PS topics...

Edit: if you have some good reasoning in there (maybe coursework or clubs/some related activities but not necessarily w/e) I think that will help you out.

Gotti

Gold

Post by Gotti » Wed Dec 01, 2010 5:01 pm

krad wrote:
jwaters wrote:Your lack of experience will not hurt you at all. What will hurt you is writing about how "passionate" you are about a field of law you have no experience with.
This. If you read through some of the dean interviews here on TLS I believe it's mentioned a few times, especially in regards to PS topics...

Edit: if you have some good reasoning in there (maybe coursework or clubs/some related activities but not necessarily w/e) I think that will help you out.

My PS doesn’t really state what KIND of law I’m interested in but my DS and my Why X statements (I wrote them for every school) highlight that I want to pursue a career in social justice and it’s because of the classes I’ve took that led me to an interest in law and then all poverty I’ve seen (i’ve lived in different countries and my family is from a very undeveloped country). I said that it really makes me want to help people at a disadvantage in the world due to lack of resources etc etc. so I’ve tied it in with the fact that I want to get a JD/MSW and participate in externships/clinics at the PD’s office and stuff (tied it to specific schools’ programs). I think (hope) I tied my application together well in terms of what I want to do and why…I’m just worried that my lack of experience makes my interest look unfounded/bullshitted.

Idk if that makes sense.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

krad

Gold

Post by krad » Wed Dec 01, 2010 5:11 pm

Gotti wrote:
krad wrote:

My PS doesn’t really state what KIND of law I’m interested in but my DS and my Why X statements (I wrote them for every school) highlight that I want to pursue a career in social justice and it’s because of the classes I’ve took that led me to an interest in law and then all poverty I’ve seen (i’ve lived in different countries and my family is from a very undeveloped country). I said that it really makes me want to help people at a disadvantage in the world due to lack of resources etc etc. so I’ve tied it in with the fact that I want to get a JD/MSW and participate in externships/clinics at the PD’s office and stuff (tied it to specific schools’ programs). I think (hope) I tied my application together well in terms of what I want to do and why…I’m just worried that my lack of experience makes my interest look unfounded/bullshitted.

Idk if that makes sense.
That makes sense to me! Now that you've elaborated a bit, I'd say it sounds like you've got some legit interests and that you've researched the path towards your interests. The family and experience living abroad strengthen it for sure. I don't think that you have to have experience in the form of work experience to be interested in something... So to me it doesn't seem too bs'd by any means.

The schools don't expect you to know what type of law you want to end up in, and I doubt that having an interest in an area and some reasons for that interest will hurt you!

Edit: edited my grammar, whewww.

Gotti

Gold

Post by Gotti » Wed Dec 01, 2010 6:38 pm

krad wrote:
Gotti wrote:
krad wrote:

Idk if that makes sense.
That makes sense to me! Now that you've elaborated a bit, I'd say it sounds like you've got some legit interests and that you've researched the path towards your interests. The family and experience living abroad strengthen it for sure. I don't think that you have to have experience in the form of work experience to be interested in something... So to me it doesn't seem too bs'd by any means.

The schools don't expect you to know what type of law you want to end up in, and I doubt that having an interest in an area and some reasons for that interest will hurt you!

Edit: edited my grammar, whewww.

oh hey lol we just posted on each other's profiles on lsn.

krad

Gold

Post by krad » Thu Dec 02, 2010 2:00 pm

Haha how random! We're really cool 8) , obvi.

I'm still bugging about the LOR deal. I actually contacted a backup writer today that is going to fax one in this week.

Best of luck friend!

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”