Addendum after campus visit

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
skippy1

Addendum after campus visit

Postby skippy1 » Wed Dec 01, 2010 2:15 am

Last edited by skippy1 on Thu Feb 03, 2011 10:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

pwyoung

Re: Addendum after campus visit

Postby pwyoung » Wed Dec 01, 2010 3:29 am

Unnecessary.

ahduth

Postby ahduth » Wed Dec 01, 2010 8:02 am

skippy1 wrote:If you do a campus visit, will the admissions committee know about this - does it get entered into your folder? This school is my number one choice and the I truly enjoyed the visit. I'd like to write an addendum about my visit - any advice - have others done this? Thanks.

Did you write a "why x" essay originally? If not, this seems like a great opportunity.

whymeohgodno

Postby whymeohgodno » Wed Dec 01, 2010 8:16 am

Sounds like something you should put into a why x

r6_philly

Postby r6_philly » Wed Dec 01, 2010 10:38 am

ahduth wrote:
skippy1 wrote:If you do a campus visit, will the admissions committee know about this - does it get entered into your folder? This school is my number one choice and the I truly enjoyed the visit. I'd like to write an addendum about my visit - any advice - have others done this? Thanks.

Did you write a "why x" essay originally? If not, this seems like a great opportunity.

Even if one was already submitted, you can write a new one incorporating the visit, then email the admissions office to update. Just tell them the visit gave you new found love for the school while reaffirming the existing love. It would accomplish OP's goal to have both version of why x in the folder. Heck they may even write on it "updated due to campus visit".

JJDancer

Postby JJDancer » Wed Dec 01, 2010 3:56 pm

A) incorporate it into a why X addendum

B) if you already sent a why X then update it, or save the school visit info for a LOCI if you get WLed

skippy1

Postby skippy1 » Wed Dec 01, 2010 10:46 pm

I already wrote a why x but it's within my PS. I want the admissions committee to know I stopped by and how much more I love the school now. Updating a PS seems a bit drastic. That's why I was thinking addendum.

oscodasa

Postby oscodasa » Wed Dec 01, 2010 10:48 pm

skippy1 wrote:I already wrote a why x but it's within my PS. I want the admissions committee to know I stopped by and how much more I love the school now. Updating a PS seems a bit drastic. That's why I was thinking addendum.

If you spoke to someone in admissions, I think a hand written thank you or e-mail would be nice, depending on the depth of your interaction.

r6_philly

Postby r6_philly » Wed Dec 01, 2010 10:49 pm

skippy1 wrote:I already wrote a why x but it's within my PS. I want the admissions committee to know I stopped by and how much more I love the school now. Updating a PS seems a bit drastic. That's why I was thinking addendum.

It's anecdotal, but I updated my PS to Berkeley 2 weeks after applying, and Berkeley is the first T14 acceptance I received this cycle. I wrote a better version after some thinking, and I updated it.

r6_philly

Postby r6_philly » Wed Dec 01, 2010 10:50 pm

oscodasa wrote:

If you spoke to someone in admissions, I think a hand written thank you or e-mail would be nice, depending on the depth of your interaction.

This is just simple business etiquette. It will only help you if the person is reviewing your application (and remembers you out of the 8000 applicants). Putting it in your PS or why X ensures that everyone knows you loved the school.

oscodasa

Postby oscodasa » Wed Dec 01, 2010 11:00 pm

r6_philly wrote:
oscodasa wrote:

This is just simple business etiquette. It will only help you if the person is reviewing your application (and remembers you out of the 8000 applicants). Putting it in your PS or why X ensures that everyone knows you loved the school.

I think it depends on the school and the quality of the visit/conversation. I truly believe that a visit to a school assisted in my acceptance 2 days later. I was under review for 1 day, and from what I understand most everyone else there was under review for at least one week.
I'm not arguing that it's better than a tailored PS, but if you did have a meaningful conversation with someone and you can cite specifics of that conversation in writing (substantial specifics, not something like 'thanks for explaining LWR to me'), it may help you.

uci2013

Postby uci2013 » Sat Dec 04, 2010 10:31 am

I think a LOCI would be better than an addendum.

skippy1

Postby skippy1 » Sun Dec 05, 2010 10:47 pm

I sent a thank you already. But that's not going to get into my file. I'm going to send it in as an addendum - is the term LOCI only used for after being put on WL?

JJDancer

Postby JJDancer » Sun Dec 05, 2010 11:05 pm

skippy1 wrote:I sent a thank you already. But that's not going to get into my file. I'm going to send it in as an addendum - is the term LOCI only used for after being put on WL?

No. You can send LOCI before WL. I think LOCI is usually an email correspondence (rather than a word doc/pdf addendum). I could be wrong though.

uci2013

Postby uci2013 » Mon Dec 06, 2010 1:21 am

JJDancer wrote:
skippy1 wrote:I sent a thank you already. But that's not going to get into my file. I'm going to send it in as an addendum - is the term LOCI only used for after being put on WL?

No. You can send LOCI before WL. I think LOCI is usually an email correspondence (rather than a word doc/pdf addendum). I could be wrong though.

I sent some snail mail LOCI's last year. And a LOCI can be sent anytime - you just don't want to send too many of them or use them inappropriately to where you look like a pest. But a LOCI after visiting makes a lot of sense as you can say your visit as increased your enthusiasm about the school and discuss how the visit made you more interested in the school.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”