Updating Applications?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
wackyjack22

Updating Applications?

Postby wackyjack22 » Wed Dec 01, 2010 1:53 am

Is it worth bothering the admissions staff at this point in the cycle to update my resume with a few more academic/athletic awards? None of these are truly game changing, but Academic All-American is not very common and it seems like it might be worth it. Should I wait to send this in with grades once they are released in late December? Or should I submit a new resume with a note on the new additions? Some schools asked for athletic and academic achievements on the application itself. It is likely that as I submitted incredibly early (September for most schools, October for a few) that some decisions will be made in the very near future so waiting until grades come out could mean these updates won't get noticed at all if I wait. Just wanted some thoughts on this as I don't want to waste anyone's time during this time of year.

edubs003

Re: Updating Applications?

Postby edubs003 » Wed Dec 01, 2010 2:01 am

wackyjack22 wrote:Is it worth bothering the admissions staff at this point in the cycle to update my resume with a few more academic/athletic awards? None of these are truly game changing, but Academic All-American is not very common and it seems like it might be worth it. Should I wait to send this in with grades once they are released in late December? Or should I submit a new resume with a note on the new additions? Some schools asked for athletic and academic achievements on the application itself. It is likely that as I submitted incredibly early (September for most schools, October for a few) that some decisions will be made in the very near future so waiting until grades come out could mean these updates won't get noticed at all if I wait. Just wanted some thoughts on this as I don't want to waste anyone's time during this time of year.

Why weren't they on there in the first place?

wackyjack22

Postby wackyjack22 » Wed Dec 01, 2010 2:07 am

edubs003 wrote:
wackyjack22 wrote:Is it worth bothering the admissions staff at this point in the cycle to update my resume with a few more academic/athletic awards? None of these are truly game changing, but Academic All-American is not very common and it seems like it might be worth it. Should I wait to send this in with grades once they are released in late December? Or should I submit a new resume with a note on the new additions? Some schools asked for athletic and academic achievements on the application itself. It is likely that as I submitted incredibly early (September for most schools, October for a few) that some decisions will be made in the very near future so waiting until grades come out could mean these updates won't get noticed at all if I wait. Just wanted some thoughts on this as I don't want to waste anyone's time during this time of year.

They have all come out in the last week, one way actually today. Sorry I did not make that clear.

edubs003

Postby edubs003 » Wed Dec 01, 2010 2:18 am

wackyjack22 wrote:
edubs003 wrote:

They have all come out in the last week, one way actually today. Sorry I did not make that clear.

Oh, I thought you just somehow forgot about them haha. I don't know where you're applying but I'd say that it might be good to do for reach schools. I wouldn't do it for safety or schools you're sure to get in at. Although, If you've already received these awards earlier in your academic career, don't worry about it. If it's one of those that you did excellent in your senior year, I would try to change my reach schools. But who really knows, they only spend 5-10 minutes on each file and are they really going to notice?

pinkzeppelin

Postby pinkzeppelin » Wed Dec 01, 2010 2:44 am

edubs003 wrote:
wackyjack22 wrote:
edubs003 wrote:

Oh, I thought you just somehow forgot about them haha. I don't know where you're applying but I'd say that it might be good to do for reach schools. I wouldn't do it for safety or schools you're sure to get in at. Although, If you've already received these awards earlier in your academic career, don't worry about it. If it's one of those that you did excellent in your senior year, I would try to change my reach schools. But who really knows, they only spend 5-10 minutes on each file and are they really going to notice?

Your awards sound impressive. I would send the updates to all the schools. Even your safeties and targets can give you scholarships. Although scholarship money is still predominately based on numbers, it sounds like that academic all-american award could easily push you into the next scholarship level (could mean tens of thousands of dollars).

wackyjack22

Postby wackyjack22 » Wed Dec 01, 2010 5:14 am

I went with the idea that this award was impressive and sent in an updated resume with a small note that said something about the specific award that I really wanted them to see. I doubt it will make much of a difference at the reach schools I sent it to but I doubt it will hurt me so in the long run it's not a big deal.

mths

Postby mths » Wed Dec 01, 2010 5:21 am

No harm in sending.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”