LOR not back, what to do?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
ISTAND

LOR not back, what to do?

Postby ISTAND » Tue Nov 30, 2010 11:38 pm

Hi, I'm new here, this is my first post. I am overwhelmed and am glad I found this site, have been on this journey on my own without any guidance and feeling frustrated.

My current dilemma is that lsac has received only 1 of my 4 letters of recommendation. One person was very timely and submitted the letter to them right away. The other person finally sent it yesterday and the two others claim they sent it but it's been two weeks and still it shows not received.

My question is, does the law school put off reviewing my application until they receive all the required documents? Or do they start looking at my transcripts, personal statements etc in the meantime? If a school requires 2 letters and I had assigned 3, can I switch it back to 2 so that 3rd one doesn't hold up my whole file? I have tons of other questions but this one is what I need an answer on the most at the moment. Thanks.

(oops I don't know why it duplicate posted, sorry about that)

3|ink

Re: LOR not back, what to do?

Postby 3|ink » Tue Nov 30, 2010 11:42 pm

ISTAND wrote:Hi, I'm new here, this is my first post. I am overwhelmed and am glad I found this site, have been on this journey on my own without any guidance and feeling frustrated.

My current dilemma is that lsac has received only 1 of my 4 letters of recommendation. One person was very timely and submitted the letter to them right away. The other person finally sent it yesterday and the two others claim they sent it but it's been two weeks and still it shows not received.

My question is, does the law school put off reviewing my application until they receive all the required documents? Or do they start looking at my transcripts, personal statements etc in the meantime? If a school requires 2 letters and I had assigned 3, can I switch it back to 2 so that 3rd one doesn't hold up my whole file? I have tons of other questions but this one is what I need an answer on the most at the moment. Thanks.

On most applications, you can tell them to wait for outstanding (as in "not yet received") LoRs.

Were the missing LORs sent by mail?

ISTAND

Postby ISTAND » Tue Nov 30, 2010 11:46 pm

3|ink wrote:
ISTAND wrote:Hi, I'm new here, this is my first post. I am overwhelmed and am glad I found this site, have been on this journey on my own without any guidance and feeling frustrated.

On most applications, you can tell them to wait for outstanding (as in "not yet received") LoRs.

Were the missing LORs sent by mail?

I mailed my signed LOR form to each of the people and asked them to write the letter and mail it to Lsac to the address provided on the form. They claim they've mailed it but it's frustrating waiting and waiting week after week. I don't remember any boxes to check telling them to wait for outstanding LOR's. I'd rather they not wait and start looking at my app, I don't want my file to collect dust. So frustrating relying on others.

3|ink

Postby 3|ink » Tue Nov 30, 2010 11:52 pm

ISTAND wrote:I mailed my signed LOR form to each of the people and asked them to write the letter and mail it to Lsac to the address provided on the form. They claim they've mailed it but it's frustrating waiting and waiting week after week. I don't remember any boxes to check telling them to wait for outstanding LOR's. I'd rather they not wait and start looking at my app, I don't want my file to collect dust. So frustrating relying on others.

It's possible they miswrote the address or something. That's why I sent mine pre-addressed envelopes?

Chances are that they typed-out their recommendations. You should call them to confirm this and tell them that the LSAC hasn't acknowledged receipt. Indicate that it's possible that the LSAC has a lot of volume right now and they could have easily been lost. Surely they'll be willing to send them again. However, you'll have to send them re-signed LOR forms. Send them again, but this time include pre-addressed envelopes with postage with your form.

ahduth

Postby ahduth » Tue Nov 30, 2010 11:54 pm

Fax fax fax. Fax your LoRs. It's easily the way to go. Mail is weaksauce.

It even sounds cool when you say it... fax fax fax fax fax...

ISTAND

Postby ISTAND » Tue Nov 30, 2010 11:59 pm

ahduth wrote:Fax fax fax. Fax your LoRs. It's easily the way to go. Mail is weaksauce.

ugh I should've thought of faxing, actually I did but it's just that lsac discourages it and says if anything is not clear like the bar code on the LOR form they do not process it then you're left wondering if they are processing it or not I'd imagine, but it's better than eating up all this time.

ahduth

Postby ahduth » Wed Dec 01, 2010 12:03 am

ISTAND wrote:
ahduth wrote:Fax fax fax. Fax your LoRs. It's easily the way to go. Mail is weaksauce.

ugh I should've thought of faxing, actually I did but it's just that lsac discourages it and says if anything is not clear like the bar code on the LOR form they do not process it then you're left wondering if they are processing it or not I'd imagine, but it's better than eating up all this time.

No.

Or yes, I'm not sure if there was a question in there. Definitely fax. If the fax is smudged, they'll get in touch and ask you to redo it. Tell the professor or whoever to have their admin do it so it gets done right. Faxing is pro. The USPS hates you and doesn't want you to get into law school. Avoid them at all costs.

ISTAND

Postby ISTAND » Wed Dec 01, 2010 12:22 am

ahduth wrote:

No.

Or yes, I'm not sure if there was a question in there. Definitely fax. If the fax is smudged, they'll get in touch and ask you to redo it. Tell the professor or whoever to have their admin do it so it gets done right. Faxing is pro. The USPS hates you and doesn't want you to get into law school. Avoid them at all costs.

LOL I can feel the hate...ok I will try to reach the prof. it was like pulling teeth to get him to work on the letter in the first place, he's used to getting paid to do nothing basically.

3|ink

Postby 3|ink » Wed Dec 01, 2010 1:22 am

I thought it had to contain your original signature. Doh! Oh well. Mine are done.

ISTAND

Postby ISTAND » Wed Dec 01, 2010 7:06 am

FYI my info has been updated to report 2nd LOR received! Lsac is on top of things, I am new to this so got worried, but just needed to give them some more time! Good timing!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”