LOR not back, what to do?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
ISTAND

LOR not back, what to do?

Postby ISTAND » Tue Nov 30, 2010 11:38 pm

Hi, I'm new here, this is my first post. I am overwhelmed and am glad I found this site, have been on this journey on my own without any guidance and feeling frustrated.

My current dilemma is that lsac has received only 1 of my 4 letters of recommendation. One person was very timely and submitted the letter to them right away. The other person finally sent it yesterday and the two others claim they sent it but it's been two weeks and still it shows not received.

My question is, does the law school put off reviewing my application until they receive all the required documents? Or do they start looking at my transcripts, personal statements etc in the meantime? If a school requires 2 letters and I had assigned 3, can I switch it back to 2 so that 3rd one doesn't hold up my whole file? I have tons of other questions but this one is what I need an answer on the most at the moment. Thanks.

tourdeforcex

Re: LOR not back, what to do?

Postby tourdeforcex » Wed Dec 01, 2010 12:05 am

1. welcome
2. it's cool. don't stress.
3. LSAC might have your LORs. i'm sure they're really busy now so it might take some time for it to show as received. you should definitely call them though, explain the situation, see what they can do
4. as for if the law schools put off reviewing: it's probably school dependent. but generally yes. why would they go through an incomplete application when they have hundreds of complete ones to work on?
5. i think you can you can switch to 2 LOR whenever you want, play around w/ it, schools don't see those details (i think) until you actually hit submit and pay that application fee.

hope this helps.

dextermorgan

Postby dextermorgan » Wed Dec 01, 2010 12:12 am

You can switch to two without any issues.

Quite a few people have had issues with getting LSAC to process LORs this cycle. You are not alone.

ISTAND

Postby ISTAND » Wed Dec 01, 2010 12:18 am

ok, I'll check if I can switch to 2. I have already hit the send button with payment though, so I'll check.

NJcollegestudent

Postby NJcollegestudent » Wed Dec 01, 2010 12:19 am

ISTAND wrote:Hi, I'm new here, this is my first post. I am overwhelmed and am glad I found this site, have been on this journey on my own without any guidance and feeling frustrated.

My current dilemma is that lsac has received only 1 of my 4 letters of recommendation. One person was very timely and submitted the letter to them right away. The other person finally sent it yesterday and the two others claim they sent it but it's been two weeks and still it shows not received.

My question is, does the law school put off reviewing my application until they receive all the required documents? Or do they start looking at my transcripts, personal statements etc in the meantime? If a school requires 2 letters and I had assigned 3, can I switch it back to 2 so that 3rd one doesn't hold up my whole file? I have tons of other questions but this one is what I need an answer on the most at the moment. Thanks.

When it comes to the required letters, your report will be sent as long as the minimum letters of recommendation that are required are met.

Hypothetically:

You assign 3 letters to the school of your choice.

The school requires two to receive the report.

Two letters are in with LSAC and the third is still not there.

Your CAS file will be sent, and the school should put you as complete and under review, and may even make a decision.

If you really want that third letter in before your file is reviewed, you should contact the school.

Pleasye

Postby Pleasye » Wed Dec 01, 2010 12:22 am

NJcollegestudent wrote:When it comes to the required letters, your report will be sent as long as the minimum letters of recommendation that are required are met.

Hypothetically:

You assign 3 letters to the school of your choice.

The school requires two to receive the report.

Two letters are in with LSAC and the third is still not there.

Your CAS file will be sent, and the school should put you as complete and under review, and may even make a decision.

If you really want that third letter in before your file is reviewed, you should contact the school.

TITCR.

ISTAND

Postby ISTAND » Wed Dec 01, 2010 12:35 am

ohhh got it, thanks NJcollegestudent. I hope you are correct.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”