Admitted to T-14--how much do my grades now matter? Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
Cassius Sterling

New

Admitted to T-14--how much do my grades now matter?

Post by Cassius Sterling » Tue Nov 30, 2010 8:38 pm

I'm not sure if this is the right topic for this question, but I decided to choose this one because I deemed it the most relavent.

I'm a senior in undergrad right now and have been admitted to a couple of the T-14. My question is, how much do my grades this semester and next semester matter? Will these schools ask for my transcripts? I'm not going to fail any classes, but if I got say a 3.6 this semester (as compared to a previous 3.8, say), would the schools care at all?

Thanks for the help.

ran12

Silver

Re: Admitted to T-14--how much do my grades now matter?

Post by ran12 » Tue Nov 30, 2010 8:43 pm

Cassius Sterling wrote:I'm not sure if this is the right topic for this question, but I decided to choose this one because I deemed it the most relavent.

I'm a senior in undergrad right now and have been admitted to a couple of the T-14. My question is, how much do my grades this semester and next semester matter? Will these schools ask for my transcripts? I'm not going to fail any classes, but if I got say a 3.6 this semester (as compared to a previous 3.8, say), would the schools care at all?

Thanks for the help.
Some schools will ask for your grades if you're a borderline case for admission. Once you enter the school you need to forward final transcripts. A 0.2 dropoff in GPA won't lead to a rescinded offer. Usually rescinded offers occur if there's a huge dropoff.

kams

New

Post by kams » Tue Nov 30, 2010 8:52 pm

Yeah, you'll be fine. Congratulations!

Platinum

Post by 2014 » Wed Dec 01, 2010 12:10 am

If your grades do drop, do the school you end up attending a favor and don't update LSAC with your transcripts. Might as well help your school's rating if you can.

megaTTTron

Silver

Post by megaTTTron » Wed Dec 01, 2010 12:15 am

Admissions aside, many firms at OCI (and other employers) request undergraduate transcripts (especially top vault firms) so keeping that 3.8, or w/e keeps you magna cum laude, is worth it my friend. Just push through it, we were all there, lol.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

tourdeforcex

Bronze

Post by tourdeforcex » Wed Dec 01, 2010 12:23 am

1. congratulations
2. as mega above me said, might as well keep up the GPA for magna. you've gotten this far. at least keep it up this semester.

dabbadon8

Silver

Post by dabbadon8 » Wed Dec 01, 2010 1:03 am

What about for a splitter... My gpa is already below the 25th lol. Does it matter if it gets a little lower?

AreJay711

Gold

Post by AreJay711 » Wed Dec 01, 2010 1:15 am

megaTTTron wrote:Admissions aside, many firms at OCI (and other employers) request undergraduate transcripts (especially top vault firms) so keeping that 3.8, or w/e keeps you magna cum laude, is worth it my friend. Just push through it, we were all there, lol.
Oh wow I would never have expected this. Thanks for the info.

im_blue

Gold

Post by im_blue » Wed Dec 01, 2010 1:40 am

dabbadon8 wrote:What about for a splitter... My gpa is already below the 25th lol. Does it matter if it gets a little lower?
Hurts if you go below a school's unofficial floor - 3.5, 3.3, and 3.0 seem to be common cutoffs.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

showNprove

Silver

Post by showNprove » Wed Dec 01, 2010 1:53 am

Last edited by showNprove on Sat Feb 26, 2011 6:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

megaTTTron

Silver

Post by megaTTTron » Wed Dec 01, 2010 2:08 am

showNprove wrote:1. If you're already in, the law school will only care whether or not you earned your degree so long as you do not send your updated transcript into LSAC.

2. Very few employers ask for undergrad transcripts, and those that do place very little weight on them.

Just don't let the bottom fall out and you'll be fine.

Oh boy. :roll:

Okay, yes, it's very true that most firms do not ask for UG transcripts (how much weight they give them is certainly up for debate). But every firm asks for your resume, which will have your GPA or at least honors like magna cum laude on it.
And while the bolded is probably true, it's so so so worth it to keep the grades up. Especially ITE! Give employers every reason to give your application a second look.

showNprove

Silver

Post by showNprove » Wed Dec 01, 2010 2:15 am

Last edited by showNprove on Sat Feb 26, 2011 6:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

megaTTTron

Silver

Post by megaTTTron » Wed Dec 01, 2010 3:12 am

showNprove wrote:
megaTTTron wrote:
showNprove wrote:1. If you're already in, the law school will only care whether or not you earned your degree so long as you do not send your updated transcript into LSAC.

2. Very few employers ask for undergrad transcripts, and those that do place very little weight on them.

Oh boy. :roll:

Okay, yes, it's very true that most firms do not ask for UG transcripts (how much weight they give them is certainly up for debate). But every firm asks for your resume, which will have your GPA or at least honors like magna cum laude on it.
And while the bolded is probably true, it's so so so worth it to keep the grades up. Especially ITE! Give employers every reason to give your application a second look.
So many things matter more in the hiring process than undergrad grades. I'm not saying it's never a factor, but it may not even be Top 10--even for firms that specifically request undergrad transcripts. If your #1 concern as a senior in college is 2L OGI, you should probably be medicated. OP should be playing Super Smash Brothers with his friends until 3 AM, not worrying about whether someone will scrutinize a B+ he got two years ago.

Enjoy life while you still can, OP. Wait until you're in law school before you let TLS scare you.
I concede. For all of those reasons.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Grizz

Diamond

Post by Grizz » Wed Dec 01, 2010 3:48 am

showNprove wrote:OP should be playing Super Smash Brothers with his friends until 3 AM, not worrying about whether someone will scrutinize a B+ he got two years ago.
Sounds like your UG experience really sucked.

YCrevolution

Gold

Post by YCrevolution » Wed Dec 01, 2010 1:27 pm

adammac17

Bronze

Post by adammac17 » Wed Dec 01, 2010 1:31 pm

wait, i thought you HAD to send in updated transctripts at the end of the semester/year???
isnt there a bit in all applications about being required to update them if things change?

Mce252

Silver

Post by Mce252 » Wed Dec 01, 2010 1:37 pm

I have a similar question. I have applied to law schools and I'm assuming that most of them will not get back to me before the new year. I am done with undergrad but I am now a graduate student. If I have a 4.0 in all my graduate work, should I request an updated transcript to be sent to LSAC? Does this automatically update my file at schools?

I was planning on just leaving my graduate transcripts out of the application process. Just curious...

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

vanwinkle

Platinum

Post by vanwinkle » Wed Dec 01, 2010 1:40 pm

adammac17 wrote:

wait, i thought you HAD to send in updated transctripts at the end of the semester/year???
isnt there a bit in all applications about being required to update them if things change?
You do, but if you send directly to the school's admissions office instead of LSAC, it doesn't alter your LSDAS GPA. That means your GPA drop won't affect their medians, and they're less likely to even start caring unless it's egregious (Fs or a string of all Ds or something).

pwyoung

Bronze

Post by pwyoung » Wed Dec 01, 2010 1:41 pm

Mce252 wrote:I have a similar question. I have applied to law schools and I'm assuming that most of them will not get back to me before the new year. I am done with undergrad but I am now a graduate student. If I have a 4.0 in all my graduate work, should I request an updated transcript to be sent to LSAC? Does this automatically update my file at schools?

I was planning on just leaving my graduate transcripts out of the application process. Just curious...
They really have very little effect, they might as well be a soft. If you want them in to have them noted, go for it, but it's not going to have an impact as far as your numbers.

whymeohgodno

Gold

Post by whymeohgodno » Wed Dec 01, 2010 2:44 pm

Mce252 wrote:I have a similar question. I have applied to law schools and I'm assuming that most of them will not get back to me before the new year. I am done with undergrad but I am now a graduate student. If I have a 4.0 in all my graduate work, should I request an updated transcript to be sent to LSAC? Does this automatically update my file at schools?

They don't really care about grad gpa but if you have a 4.0 you might as well send it.

RVP11

Gold

Post by RVP11 » Wed Dec 01, 2010 2:47 pm

megaTTTron wrote:many firms at OCI (and other employers) request undergraduate transcripts (especially top vault firms)
No they don't. Firms don't care.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”