Inconsistency with my Interviewer's Resume- Ask about it? Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
Arbiter213

Gold

Inconsistency with my Interviewer's Resume- Ask about it?

Post by Arbiter213 » Tue Nov 30, 2010 4:45 pm

So, I have an interview for a law school in the immediate future. Upon receiving my interviewers name, I looked him up. According to his bio on his firm's page and other places, he clerked for a certain supreme court justice (impressive!).

However, that justice had retired about 6 years prior to when my interviewer is listed as having clerked for him. Am I missing something about how clerking works? Or should I ask him about it? Or should I say nothing.

Regardless of this, the man has very impressive credentials, but since I noticed this, I just can't get it out of my head.

Thanks for the input.

D. H2Oman

Platinum

Re: Inconsistency with my Interviewer's Resume- Ask about it?

Post by D. H2Oman » Tue Nov 30, 2010 4:50 pm

Looks like you caught him lying on his resume. That's the only explanation besides the firm misprinting it. I would call him out on it, not directly though. Just so he knows you have something on him and that you mean business. Hello good report on your interview + acceptance.

mrmangs

Silver

Post by mrmangs » Tue Nov 30, 2010 4:51 pm

:lol:

Arbiter213

Gold

Post by Arbiter213 » Tue Nov 30, 2010 4:51 pm

D. H2Oman wrote:Looks like you caught him lying on his resume. That's the only explanation besides the firm misprinting it. I would call him out on it, not directly though. Just so he knows you have something on him and that you mean business. Hello good report on your interview + acceptance.
Sarcasm noted.

D. H2Oman

Platinum

Post by D. H2Oman » Tue Nov 30, 2010 4:53 pm

Arbiter213 wrote:
D. H2Oman wrote:Looks like you caught him lying on his resume. That's the only explanation besides the firm misprinting it. I would call him out on it, not directly though. Just so he knows you have something on him and that you mean business. Hello good report on your interview + acceptance.
Sarcasm noted.

alright fine, supreme court justices get a clerks after they retire. Or maybe not. We can't be sure.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Arbiter213

Gold

Post by Arbiter213 » Tue Nov 30, 2010 4:54 pm

D. H2Oman wrote:
Arbiter213 wrote:
Sarcasm noted.

alright fine, supreme court justices get a clerks after they retire. Or maybe not. We can't be sure.
I should've known better than to even bother asking. Obviously the answer is "say nothing."

3|ink

Platinum

Post by 3|ink » Tue Nov 30, 2010 4:54 pm

Arbiter213 wrote:So, I have an interview for a law school in the immediate future. Upon receiving my interviewers name, I looked him up. According to his bio on his firm's page and other places, he clerked for a certain supreme court justice (impressive!).

However, that justice had retired about 6 years prior to when my interviewer is listed as having clerked for him. Am I missing something about how clerking works? Or should I ask him about it? Or should I say nothing.

Regardless of this, the man has very impressive credentials, but since I noticed this, I just can't get it out of my head.

Thanks for the input.
Chances are good that he didn't type up his own BIO and that a secretary made that typo. There's no way anyone with his 'impressive credentials' would lie about a thing like that because a lie like that would definitely cost him more than he gets from it.

Edit: I'm not certain it is illegal, but his reputation would be ruined.
Last edited by 3|ink on Tue Nov 30, 2010 4:56 pm, edited 2 times in total.

thelaststraw05

Silver

Post by thelaststraw05 » Tue Nov 30, 2010 4:54 pm

What did the justice do after leaving the court? Is it possible he clerked for "Supreme Court Justice XXXXX" when that Justice wasn't still with the court?

I assume the title Supreme Court Justice is just like President - the title follows you for life.

mrmangs

Silver

Post by mrmangs » Tue Nov 30, 2010 4:55 pm

Arbiter213 wrote:
Sarcasm noted.
Yeah. Just remember who is being interviewed. I can see no scenario where you pointing out this inconsistency would work out well for you. If you are merely curious about his experience clerking, just obliquely ask what he did after law school and how he got where he is today. He'll bring it up.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

JazzOne

Gold

Post by JazzOne » Tue Nov 30, 2010 4:56 pm

Ask him if the firm encourages clerking for retired judges or if they made an exception for him.

D. H2Oman

Platinum

Post by D. H2Oman » Tue Nov 30, 2010 4:58 pm

3|ink wrote:
Arbiter213 wrote:So, I have an interview for a law school in the immediate future. Upon receiving my interviewers name, I looked him up. According to his bio on his firm's page and other places, he clerked for a certain supreme court justice (impressive!).

Thanks for the input.
Chances are good that he didn't type up his own BIO and that a secretary made that typo. There's no way anyone with his 'impressive credentials' would lie about a thing like that because a lie like that would definitely cost him more than he gets from it.

Edit: I'm not certain it is illegal, but his reputation would be ruined.

This is surprisingly the worst and most useless answer in the entire thread. good work.

Arbiter213

Gold

Post by Arbiter213 » Tue Nov 30, 2010 4:59 pm

mrmangs wrote:
Arbiter213 wrote:
Sarcasm noted.
Yeah. Just remember who is being interviewed. I can see no scenario where you pointing out this inconsistency would work out well for you. If you are merely curious about his experience clerking, just obliquely ask what he did after law school and how he got where he is today. He'll bring it up.
Actually helpful post on TLS? :shock:

I'm not quite stupid enough to grill him on it- if I were to bring it up at all (which I'm not planning to) I would've just asked about clerking.

Thanks for the help.

bdubs

Gold

Post by bdubs » Tue Nov 30, 2010 5:01 pm

thelaststraw05 wrote:What did the justice do after leaving the court? Is it possible he clerked for "Supreme Court Justice XXXXX" when that Justice wasn't still with the court?

I assume the title Supreme Court Justice is just like President - the title follows you for life.
Have any justices left recently to do anything besides die? The whole appointment for life thing seems like it has encouraged a culture of clinging to your seat until you're totally incapacitated.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

ResolutePear

Platinum

Post by ResolutePear » Tue Nov 30, 2010 5:02 pm

Arbiter213 wrote:
mrmangs wrote:
Arbiter213 wrote:
Sarcasm noted.
Actually helpful post on TLS? :shock:

I'm not quite stupid enough to grill him on it- if I were to bring it up at all (which I'm not planning to) I would've just asked about clerking.

Thanks for the help.
We help all the time! I mean, it's why we want to be lawyers.. amirite?

Arbiter213

Gold

Post by Arbiter213 » Tue Nov 30, 2010 5:06 pm

ResolutePear wrote:
I thought it was the grueling hours and high divorce rate.

paratactical

Platinum

Post by paratactical » Tue Nov 30, 2010 5:07 pm

Arbiter213 wrote:
ResolutePear wrote:
Nah, baby, models and bottles all the way, AMIRITE?

ResolutePear

Platinum

Post by ResolutePear » Tue Nov 30, 2010 5:11 pm

paratactical wrote:
Arbiter213 wrote:
ResolutePear wrote:
Without you Para, I wouldn't be able to keep my objectives in line.

Models and Bottles it is. (Oh, and I also want to incite thoughts of suicide in people... but that's for another thread.)

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

mrmangs

Silver

Post by mrmangs » Tue Nov 30, 2010 5:15 pm

ResolutePear wrote:
paratactical wrote:
Arbiter213 wrote:
ResolutePear wrote:

Models and Bottles it is. (Oh, and I also want to incite thoughts of suicide in people ... but that's for another thread.)
Someone just jumped off the local courthouse's roof. Dunno if it was a lawyer though.

ResolutePear

Platinum

Post by ResolutePear » Tue Nov 30, 2010 5:24 pm

mrmangs wrote:
ResolutePear wrote:
paratactical wrote:
Arbiter213 wrote:

Models and Bottles it is. (Oh, and I also want to incite thoughts of suicide in people ... but that's for another thread.)
Someone just jumped off the local courthouse's roof. Dunno if it was a lawyer though.
--ImageRemoved--

Ignore the cooley, just didn't want to make another pic for arson beetle.

Anonymous Loser

Silver

Post by Anonymous Loser » Tue Nov 30, 2010 5:26 pm

bdubs wrote:
thelaststraw05 wrote:What did the justice do after leaving the court? Is it possible he clerked for "Supreme Court Justice XXXXX" when that Justice wasn't still with the court?

Have any justices left recently to do anything besides die? The whole appointment for life thing seems like it has encouraged a culture of clinging to your seat until you're totally incapacitated.
O'Connor sits in on the COA's pretty frequently. I believe she's been a substitute justice on somewhere around 100 cases since retiring. She stepped down while she was still pretty lively, and is far from incapacitated.

Arbiter213

Gold

Post by Arbiter213 » Tue Nov 30, 2010 5:33 pm

Apparently retired Justices actually have clerks anyway. So that answers that question.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”