Alumni Rec Letter

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
ZSR10

Alumni Rec Letter

Postby ZSR10 » Tue Nov 30, 2010 2:47 pm

Ok so a family friend who is a graduate of a very good law school here in Texas has told me that if I will write out a recomendation letter, he will put it on his letter-head and sign it. I know that this is not advisable but he is currently working on one of the biggest cases to come through the state of Texas and thus does not have time to write it himself.
What would be the suggestions from you fine folks?
Is an alumni rec letter (and this guy is a BIG alum) really worth that much?
Would a call to the Dean be more helpful?
If I go ahead and write it what would you suggest I put in it? I know he will have no problem with whatever I say.
I have neve worked with him or been taught by him, I only know him on a personal basis and even that is not a very strong relationship.

Thanks.

buckilaw

Re: Alumni Rec Letter

Postby buckilaw » Tue Nov 30, 2010 2:54 pm

I think it could help, but you should be careful about writing it yourself.

bdubs

Re: Alumni Rec Letter

Postby bdubs » Tue Nov 30, 2010 2:58 pm

ZSR10 wrote:Ok so a family friend who is a graduate of a very good law school here in Texas has told me that if I will write out a recomendation letter, he will put it on his letter-head and sign it. I know that this is not advisable but he is currently working on one of the biggest cases to come through the state of Texas and thus does not have time to write it himself.
What would be the suggestions from you fine folks?
Is an alumni rec letter (and this guy is a BIG alum) really worth that much?
Would a call to the Dean be more helpful?
If I go ahead and write it what would you suggest I put in it? I know he will have no problem with whatever I say.
I have neve worked with him or been taught by him, I only know him on a personal basis and even that is not a very strong relationship.

Thanks.

Yes

If you have better recommenders (i.e. professors and/or employers) I would use them and try to leverage this guy through a personal call to the dean.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”