Graduating in Dec with a 1 1/2 yr before law school...

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
azizi

Graduating in Dec with a 1 1/2 yr before law school...

Postby azizi » Tue Nov 30, 2010 2:26 pm

I just booked 2 month backpacking trip to asia and will be back in the states with a year and a half prior to going to law schools. What do you suggest someone in my position to do? I am interested to do work in international business/relations/ development but I'm not sure if a year and a half is enough time to enter that field. I would ideally like to be able to have both a paid position (to save some money and pay off loans) and do something that is valuable towards my career.

Any suggestions? tips?

The Gentleman

Re: Graduating in Dec with a 1 1/2 yr before law school...

Postby The Gentleman » Tue Nov 30, 2010 2:31 pm

Have you taken the LSAT? - That's the first question.

azizi

Postby azizi » Tue Nov 30, 2010 2:33 pm

I will be taking it in June and applying in the fall for 2012 admission.

r6_philly

Postby r6_philly » Tue Nov 30, 2010 2:51 pm

Find an internship or volunteer position in the field if you can't get a paying job. Here or overseas. Having some real world working experience in the field will probably do you wonders when you are trying to launch your legal career. It will probably look better than a mind numbing job anyway for admissions purposes.

While you are in Asia, look for anything interesting to do. Even if it only pays enough to maintain a living while you are there. Would be great experience and lots of fun for a year and a half.

The Gentleman

Postby The Gentleman » Tue Nov 30, 2010 2:54 pm

r6_philly wrote:Find an internship or volunteer position in the field if you can't get a paying job. Here or overseas. Having some real world working experience in the field will probably do you wonders when you are trying to launch your legal career. It will probably look better than a mind numbing job anyway for admissions purposes.

While you are in Asia, look for anything interesting to do. Even if it only pays enough to maintain a living while you are there. Would be great experience and lots of fun for a year and a half.

That's good advice. :D

And start studying for the June LSAT when you return from Asia. Three to four months of prep ought to be sufficient.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”