really screwed up.

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
mpm5161

really screwed up.

Postby mpm5161 » Tue Nov 30, 2010 3:46 am

So! I really goofed on this one. In all my preparing for everything that was going on, I screwed up the registration timelines with that of the GREs and missed the deadline. I have everything else done. Personal statement, letters of rec, transcripts, even the apps are filled out. If I take the LSAT in feb. Can I still get in to say somewhere like Pitt or PSU? Or should I just wait till next year?

bergg007

Re: really screwed up.

Postby bergg007 » Tue Nov 30, 2010 3:50 am

mpm5161 wrote:So! I really goofed on this one. In all my preparing for everything that was going on, I screwed up the registration timelines with that of the GREs and missed the deadline. I have everything else done. Personal statement, letters of rec, transcripts, even the apps are filled out. If I take the LSAT in feb. Can I still get in to say somewhere like Pitt or PSU? Or should I just wait till next year?

maybe if that's the only school that you want to go to. But you'll screw yourself out of money if you are a good applicant. it would help to know what your UGPA is and maybe your practice LSATs.

whymeohgodno

Postby whymeohgodno » Tue Nov 30, 2010 3:52 am

Wait a cycle.

mpm5161

Postby mpm5161 » Tue Nov 30, 2010 3:55 am

The problem with waiting a cycle is student loan debt. They'll want me to pay off portions of it because I wont be attending a graduate institution within 6 months of graduation. I have a 3.48 coming out of PSU with a bachelors in English.

Postby 09042014 » Tue Nov 30, 2010 3:57 am

mpm5161 wrote:The problem with waiting a cycle is student loan debt. They'll want me to pay off portions of it because I wont be attending a graduate institution within 6 months of graduation. I have a 3.48 coming out of PSU with a bachelors in English.

So get a job.

mpm5161

Postby mpm5161 » Tue Nov 30, 2010 3:59 am

Desert Fox wrote:
mpm5161 wrote:The problem with waiting a cycle is student loan debt. They'll want me to pay off portions of it because I wont be attending a graduate institution within 6 months of graduation. I have a 3.48 coming out of PSU with a bachelors in English.

So get a job.

Easier said than done.

whymeohgodno

Postby whymeohgodno » Tue Nov 30, 2010 3:59 am

Desert Fox wrote:

So get a job.

ITE? Easier said than done I suppose.

bergg007

Postby bergg007 » Tue Nov 30, 2010 4:01 am

Desert Fox wrote:

So get a job.

yeppers. you shouldn't've gone into debt if you didn't want to pay it off. I hear McDonald's is hiring. that's about all an english degree is good for. I have an english degree too (that's why I'm going to law school).

mpm5161

Postby mpm5161 » Tue Nov 30, 2010 4:08 am

I didn't post to have my degree laughed at. I am asking a question that I would like an answer too. For schools with deadlines in late march/ early april, is there a harm in having a late LSAT score submitted?

ahduth

Postby ahduth » Tue Nov 30, 2010 8:07 am

mpm5161 wrote:I didn't post to have my degree laughed at. I am asking a question that I would like an answer too. For schools with deadlines in late march/ early april, is there a harm in having a late LSAT score submitted?

I'd say taking on more debt simply to avoid prior debt is throwing good money after bad. Going to law school when you actually wanted to go to grad school is... an interesting life decision to say the least.

The answer to your original question is yes. Late applications are worse than early ones. I have no idea about those specific schools, you can try http://schools.lawschoolnumbers.com/?&w=P to see how those application dates play out, although I don't see Pitt and I don't know what PSU is.

Lwoods

Postby Lwoods » Tue Nov 30, 2010 8:31 am

mpm5161 wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:

So get a job.

Easier said than done.

Maybe, but it's not necessarily going to get any easier with a law degree from a non-T14 and no FT work experience on your resume. Then you'll also have roughly twice the debt you have now.

I know this economy sucks, but it doesn't seem like you're particularly picky about your field. Do well in undergrad, try to find something... if you are interested in law, look at paralegal and/or legal secretary positions to see if you actually like the field. Sign up with a temp agency. If you have a halfway decent personality, you should be able to find something. Not necessarily a career or a high paycheck, and it may take a few months longer than it took me but something to pay the bills.

Also, look into IBR (http://www.ibrinfo.org/).

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”