Poor driving record - concern? Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
jmatthewo

New

Poor driving record - concern?

Post by jmatthewo » Mon Nov 29, 2010 8:35 pm

Is a poor driving record going to hurt me in the application process? Several schools are asking for details for everything, even moving violations.

I don't have any DUIs or anything, just lots of speeding tickets and a few other minor violations like passing on the shoulder. My record was really poor when I was younger (double-digit tickets) but it has improved in the past few years, although I have had 3 tickets in the past 3 years (last one was over a year ago).

I have no other criminal record other than traffic misdemeanors. How concerned should I be?

James Bond

Gold

Re: Poor driving record - concern?

Post by James Bond » Tue Nov 30, 2010 2:22 am

No, although if you're worried about it, write an addendum

whymeohgodno

Gold

Post by whymeohgodno » Tue Nov 30, 2010 2:28 am

No

whymeohgodno

Gold

Post by whymeohgodno » Tue Nov 30, 2010 2:28 am

I really doubt it.

James Bond

Gold

Post by James Bond » Tue Nov 30, 2010 2:31 am

whymeohgodno wrote:No
whymeohgodno wrote:I really doubt it.
Are you confused?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

edubs003

Bronze

Post by edubs003 » Tue Nov 30, 2010 2:36 am

James Bond wrote:
Are you confused?
Have you ever heard of someone getting in trouble with the state bar if they answer that falsely? Every app I've seen says attach a statement explaining circumstances. Although, would they punish you for saying no and having 1 or 2. I had to answer yes to that question anyways but I didn't list the speeding tickets I've had.

James Bond

Gold

Post by James Bond » Tue Nov 30, 2010 2:37 am

edubs003 wrote:
James Bond wrote:
Are you confused?
Have you ever heard of someone getting in trouble with the state bar if they answer that falsely? Every app I've seen says attach a statement explaining circumstances. Although, would they punish you for saying no and having 1 or 2. I had to answer yes to that question anyways but I didn't list the speeding tickets I've had.
Lol I was laughing more at the back to back posts, the first of which was definitive and the second of which was not as sure. Multiple personality, perhaps

edubs003

Bronze

Post by edubs003 » Tue Nov 30, 2010 2:40 am

James Bond wrote:
edubs003 wrote:
James Bond wrote:
Are you confused?
Lol I was laughing more at the back to back posts, the first of which was definitive and the second of which was not as sure. Multiple personality, perhaps
I realize that but was just wondering about the above. Since you're answered on the subject already haha.

James Bond

Gold

Post by James Bond » Tue Nov 30, 2010 2:41 am

edubs003 wrote:I realize that but was just wondering about the above. Since you're answered on the subject already haha.
It would be a bad idea to lie on the applications. They're not going to hurt you (there are convicted murderers in law school) but lying about them will.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

edubs003

Bronze

Post by edubs003 » Tue Nov 30, 2010 2:43 am

James Bond wrote:
edubs003 wrote:I realize that but was just wondering about the above. Since you're answered on the subject already haha.
It would be a bad idea to lie on the applications. They're not going to hurt you (there are convicted murderers in law school) but lying about them will.
I'm sure the OP will be fine and it won't do much to their app process.

Well I've checked yes. I only have about 3 speeding tickets but didn't include them in my addendum since I've already had criminal charges (which I listed). Will this hurt me? I mean, I checked yes.

omninode

Bronze

Post by omninode » Tue Nov 30, 2010 4:32 am

edubs003 wrote:
James Bond wrote:
I'm sure the OP will be fine and it won't do much to their app process.

Well I've checked yes. I only have about 3 speeding tickets but didn't include them in my addendum since I've already had criminal charges (which I listed). Will this hurt me? I mean, I checked yes.
Depends on the school. Read the application. Some specifically ask you to list every driving offense, some do not. Always follow the instructions.

JesusChrist

Bronze

Post by JesusChrist » Tue Nov 30, 2010 5:08 am

It'll hurt you in the sense that Asians are over-represented in the top law schools, but otherwise I think you're good.

HBK

Bronze

Post by HBK » Tue Nov 30, 2010 6:21 am

I would probably figure the applicant was a douchebag who never paid his own tickets.

/ but I'm not in admissions

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

HowdyYall

Bronze

Post by HowdyYall » Tue Nov 30, 2010 7:43 am

yeah lying on that one is a bad idea. if C & F finds that you didnt report violations on the app they could alert the school and you might lose that JD you worked 3 yrs for

ahduth

Gold

Post by ahduth » Tue Nov 30, 2010 8:34 am

I thought this thread was going to be about the concern we have over people who are bad drivers. Stay off the goddamn road or learn how to drive.

But to your original point, it's certainly not going to help your app that they have to read an addendum discussing how you act like an ass when you're operating heavy machinery. Better than having to report a conviction for large scale mortgage fraud though.

jmatthewo

New

Post by jmatthewo » Tue Nov 30, 2010 2:26 pm

JesusChrist wrote:It'll hurt you in the sense that Asians are over-represented in the top law schools, but otherwise I think you're good.
lol

...thanks but no thanks HBK

thanks for the input everyone. wish i hadn't been such an ass, but what else is youth for but to have fun and learn from your mistakes.

JenDarby

Diamond

Post by JenDarby » Wed Dec 01, 2010 5:44 am

Are your violations still on your driving record? I only ask because I was concerned about hitting an app that asked for speeding tickets, so I got a copy of my driving record from the DMV and it is completely blank. Now I know I got a ticket or two in high school, but when/where/how fast, I certainly don't remember the details of my speeding tickets from 8 years ago, which is the last time I would have gotten one...fortunately I didn't apply anywhere that required reporting minor traffic violations, if I had I suppose for "full disclosure" I would have had to estimate to the best of my ability.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”