Southwestern Optional Essay Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
Judge Philip Banks

Bronze

Southwestern Optional Essay

Post by Judge Philip Banks » Mon Nov 29, 2010 7:41 pm

I want to submit my app to Southwestern today, but am on the fence about doing one of the optional essays... Is there anyone who is applying right now or already has this or any previous cycle that has done the optional essay? What difference would doing it really make?

swilson215

Silver

Re: Southwestern Optional Essay

Post by swilson215 » Mon Nov 29, 2010 11:50 pm

I applied but didn't do the optional essays. I kind of wish I had, but I don't think it will make me an auto-reject because I didn't. I just wanted to get everything off my desk before Thanksgiving.

Judge Philip Banks

Bronze

Post by Judge Philip Banks » Tue Nov 30, 2010 12:57 am

Yeah, that is how I feel, too (minus the pre-Thanksgiving part...). I can't imagine them rejecting someone who would normally get in just because they didn't write one of the essays. I'm feeling somewhat paranoid, however, and just want to write the essay so I can't say later that I didn't do everything possible to get myself in. I would really be angry at myself if I didn't get in and didn't do the essay. Hence, I have been working on it today... :/ It seems rather generic and simple, though, so it isn't too hard or anything, but I just do not get what the school would gain, if anything, from this optional requirement (oxymoron?).

swilson215

Silver

Post by swilson215 » Tue Nov 30, 2010 1:35 pm

Judge Philip Banks wrote:Yeah, that is how I feel, too (minus the pre-Thanksgiving part...). I can't imagine them rejecting someone who would normally get in just because they didn't write one of the essays. I'm feeling somewhat paranoid, however, and just want to write the essay so I can't say later that I didn't do everything possible to get myself in. I would really be angry at myself if I didn't get in and didn't do the essay. Hence, I have been working on it today... :/ It seems rather generic and simple, though, so it isn't too hard or anything, but I just do not get what the school would gain, if anything, from this optional requirement (oxymoron?).

Probably just an increased familiarity with your writing style, as well as a different perception of or angle on who you are and where you're coming from, in a general sense...I'm with you, though.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”