How important is Why GW essay for ED? 3.55 166

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
jmatthewo
Posts: 5
Joined: Mon Nov 29, 2010 4:54 pm

How important is Why GW essay for ED? 3.55 166

Postby jmatthewo » Mon Nov 29, 2010 4:56 pm

I am applying ED to GW with the above numbers, how important is it that I write a Why GW essay?

User avatar
AreJay711
Posts: 3406
Joined: Tue Jul 20, 2010 8:51 pm

Re: How important is Why GW essay for ED? 3.55 166

Postby AreJay711 » Mon Nov 29, 2010 5:06 pm

Not at all.

jmatthewo
Posts: 5
Joined: Mon Nov 29, 2010 4:54 pm

Re: How important is Why GW essay for ED? 3.55 166

Postby jmatthewo » Mon Nov 29, 2010 6:43 pm

why do you say that?

User avatar
thelaststraw05
Posts: 1028
Joined: Fri Nov 05, 2010 7:47 am

Re: How important is Why GW essay for ED? 3.55 166

Postby thelaststraw05 » Mon Nov 29, 2010 6:44 pm

The Why X essay is to say, "I really really want to come here."

By applying ED you've already said, "I really really want to come here."

whymeohgodno
Posts: 2508
Joined: Mon Jul 19, 2010 8:15 pm

Re: How important is Why GW essay for ED? 3.55 166

Postby whymeohgodno » Mon Nov 29, 2010 6:46 pm

thelaststraw05 wrote:The Why X essay is to say, "I really really want to come here."

By applying ED you've already said, "I really really want to come here."

+1

JJDancer
Posts: 1564
Joined: Sun Jul 26, 2009 7:41 pm

Re: How important is Why GW essay for ED? 3.55 166

Postby JJDancer » Mon Nov 29, 2010 7:09 pm

whymeohgodno wrote:
thelaststraw05 wrote:The Why X essay is to say, "I really really want to come here."

By applying ED you've already said, "I really really want to come here."

+1

+1

User avatar
buckilaw
Posts: 840
Joined: Fri May 07, 2010 1:27 am

Re: How important is Why GW essay for ED? 3.55 166

Postby buckilaw » Mon Nov 29, 2010 7:13 pm

Your numbers put GW at a reach for RD. And GW's ED is far more selective than its RD, since all ED applicants recieve full tuition scholarships. I know this is strange, but you probably have a better shot applying through RD. Although you are past most ED deadlines and if they roll over ED apps to the regular pool instead of making a waitlist / rejection you might as well app ED and hope to get lucky.

User avatar
plenipotentiary
Posts: 616
Joined: Fri Sep 17, 2010 11:13 pm

Re: How important is Why GW essay for ED? 3.55 166

Postby plenipotentiary » Mon Nov 29, 2010 7:15 pm

Retake.

User avatar
AreJay711
Posts: 3406
Joined: Tue Jul 20, 2010 8:51 pm

Re: How important is Why GW essay for ED? 3.55 166

Postby AreJay711 » Mon Nov 29, 2010 7:16 pm

buckilaw wrote:Your numbers put GW at a reach for RD. And GW's ED is far more selective than its RD, since all ED applicants recieve full tuition scholarships. I know this is strange, but you probably have a better shot applying through RD. Although you are past most ED deadlines and if they roll over ED apps to the regular pool instead of making a waitlist / rejection you might as well app ED and hope to get lucky.


This is why I think it doesn't matter. They are giving you a full scholly, they want to get people that they might lose to t14 schools if they defer to RD. If you would go to GW no matter what, they might as well defer you to RD.

User avatar
im_blue
Posts: 3276
Joined: Sun Apr 12, 2009 3:53 am

Re: How important is Why GW essay for ED? 3.55 166

Postby im_blue » Mon Nov 29, 2010 7:54 pm

Not important, it'll be an auto-rejection either way.

JJDancer
Posts: 1564
Joined: Sun Jul 26, 2009 7:41 pm

Re: How important is Why GW essay for ED? 3.55 166

Postby JJDancer » Mon Nov 29, 2010 8:20 pm

I'm not too familiar with GW's ED but you might want to apply RD (and write a why x) to make sure you aren't WLed or rejected outright.

(this doesn't apply if GW policy is to defer over to RD)

User avatar
hipstermafia
Posts: 1053
Joined: Thu Sep 16, 2010 12:45 pm

Re: How important is Why GW essay for ED? 3.55 166

Postby hipstermafia » Mon Nov 29, 2010 8:22 pm

JJDancer wrote:I'm not too familiar with GW's ED but you might want to apply RD (and write a why x) to make sure you aren't WLed or rejected outright.

(this doesn't apply if GW policy is to defer over to RD)

GW's policy is to defer to RD.

Op, there is no harm in applying ED.

jmatthewo
Posts: 5
Joined: Mon Nov 29, 2010 4:54 pm

Re: How important is Why GW essay for ED? 3.55 166

Postby jmatthewo » Mon Nov 29, 2010 8:44 pm

im_blue wrote:Not important, it'll be an auto-rejection either way.


You really think so? To give a complete picture, I have an MBA from UMD, a strong upward trend in UGPA, and a strong PS.

whymeohgodno
Posts: 2508
Joined: Mon Jul 19, 2010 8:15 pm

Re: How important is Why GW essay for ED? 3.55 166

Postby whymeohgodno » Mon Nov 29, 2010 8:45 pm

jmatthewo wrote:
im_blue wrote:Not important, it'll be an auto-rejection either way.


You really think so? To give a complete picture, I have an MBA from UMD, a strong upward trend in UGPA, and a strong PS.


Medians: 3.79 / 167

Below/below. 100% Rejection. Your softs are average at best.

User avatar
im_blue
Posts: 3276
Joined: Sun Apr 12, 2009 3:53 am

Re: How important is Why GW essay for ED? 3.55 166

Postby im_blue » Mon Nov 29, 2010 8:58 pm

whymeohgodno wrote:
jmatthewo wrote:
im_blue wrote:Not important, it'll be an auto-rejection either way.


You really think so? To give a complete picture, I have an MBA from UMD, a strong upward trend in UGPA, and a strong PS.


Medians: 3.79 / 167

Below/below. 100% Rejection. Your softs are average at best.

+1. Jmatthewo, if you want a shot at GW, you should apply for PT instead.

JJDancer
Posts: 1564
Joined: Sun Jul 26, 2009 7:41 pm

Re: How important is Why GW essay for ED? 3.55 166

Postby JJDancer » Mon Nov 29, 2010 9:12 pm

I think this 100% rejection business is too extreme. (WL is more likely)
But looking at the graphs from LSN: http://gw.lawschoolnumbers.com/stats/0910/
there does seem to be a wall at 166 and below, where you would need a 3.8 or higher to get an acceptance.




Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Yahoo [Bot] and 8 guests