Waitlisted Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
elegally

New

Waitlisted

Post by elegally » Mon Nov 29, 2010 4:29 pm

I just got Wait listed. It's embarrassing because the school isn't even ranked high (Stetson). Now I am starting to worry because 1) I don't want to wait around all summer for a school to make their decision, and 2) because I was confident that I would get into all of the law schools I applied to this year since I really applied reasonably (or so I thought).

I have submitted applications to Hawaii PT (I fall w/in the 25-75th), U. of Maine, U. of New Hampshire, and of course Stetson. Where else do you think I should apply? I have been through the list over and over again but nothing is looking too good.

Also- before you say retake- please understand that I cannot take another year off because I have already disappointed my fiance and family enough.

northwood

Platinum

Re: Waitlisted

Post by northwood » Mon Nov 29, 2010 4:31 pm

where do you want to work? Pick that region, and target all of the schools where your gpa and lsat are competitive ( at least one is at the median, or both are above teh 25%)

Pleasye

Platinum

Post by Pleasye » Mon Nov 29, 2010 4:32 pm

Nobody can tell you where else to apply if you don't tell us your numbers.

Also,
elegally wrote:Also- before you say retake- please understand that I cannot take another year off because I have already disappointed my fiance and family enough.
That is not a good reason not to retake. Law school (and the debt that comes with it) is a huge decision and if you decide to do something that is going to put you in a BETTER position than you are in your family and fiance should be supportive of it. If not, fuck them. It's your life not theirs wtf.

Ghost

Silver

Post by Ghost » Mon Nov 29, 2010 4:34 pm

Last edited by Ghost on Tue Aug 30, 2011 1:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

gdane

Diamond

Post by gdane » Mon Nov 29, 2010 4:35 pm

Sorry sweetheart, but maybe this is a sign that law school just isnt for you.

What are your numbers? Have you ever retaken? What kind of "intanglbles" do you bring to the table? Keep in mind that law schools are regional and a law degree from any of the schools you mentioned give you very weak employment prospects. A law degree is not good everywhere. I hope you know that.

If you think you can get a better LSAT score, retake. Forget what other people are saying. Delaying law school for a year and getting a higher LSAT score has the potential to reap great benefits. Don't let other peoples opinions deprive you of the possibility of good things.

Good luck!

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

elegally

New

Post by elegally » Mon Nov 29, 2010 4:39 pm

gdane5 wrote:Sorry sweetheart, but maybe this is a sign that law school just isnt for you.

What are your numbers? Have you ever retaken? What kind of "intanglbles" do you bring to the table? Keep in mind that law schools are regional and a law degree from any of the schools you mentioned give you very weak employment prospects. A law degree is not good everywhere. I hope you know that.

If you think you can get a better LSAT score, retake. Forget what other people are saying. Delaying law school for a year and getting a higher LSAT score has the potential to reap great benefits. Don't let other peoples opinions deprive you of the possibility of good things.

Good luck!

152, 3.44. I did retake but canceled since I felt like I didn't do any better. As far as soft factors- I have worked in a law firm since I was a teenager (my family owns one). I have done a lot of community service (volunteer at a fire dept. and an aquarium). Nothing too solid I guess. I do have international business experience as well. Thanks for the advice though.

gdane

Diamond

Post by gdane » Mon Nov 29, 2010 4:42 pm

I'm of the belief that hitting a 160 is really not that difficult. With the right preparation, you can do it. If you really want to go to law school retake. Your GPA is decent enough that a minumum score of 160 will get you some looks by some decent schools. Your softs, while not amazing, are still laudable and will work for you.

Retake, retake, retake. You can do it.

ATR

Silver

Post by ATR » Mon Nov 29, 2010 4:42 pm

elegally wrote:152, 3.44. I did retake but canceled since I felt like I didn't do any better. As far as soft factors- I have worked in a law firm since I was a teenager (my family owns one). I have done a lot of community service (volunteer at a fire dept. and an aquarium). Nothing too solid I guess. I do have international business experience as well. Thanks for the advice though.
Devote more time and effort to a retake. You can almost certainly score higher than a 152 if you prepare adequately, given your college GPA.

gambelda

Bronze

Post by gambelda » Mon Nov 29, 2010 4:43 pm

Retake. Get a mid 160, get full ride to a lower school. Work while you study for the retake. If your fiance can't handle disappointment, find a new fiance. That's what marriage is about. Supporting each other. You aren't out there gambling away your familys money and your son's college tuition. You're following a dream and putting yourself in a better position to support your family in the long run.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Mike12188

Silver

Post by Mike12188 » Mon Nov 29, 2010 4:43 pm

OP, do you have a guranteed job in your family's law firm upon graduating?

AreJay711

Gold

Post by AreJay711 » Mon Nov 29, 2010 4:44 pm

LSpleaseee wrote:Nobody can tell you where else to apply if you don't tell us your numbers.

Also,
elegally wrote:Also- before you say retake- please understand that I cannot take another year off because I have already disappointed my fiance and family enough.
That is not a good reason not to retake. Law school (and the debt that comes with it) is a huge decision and if you decide to do something that is going to put you in a BETTER position than you are in your family and fiance should be supportive of it. If not, fuck them. It's your life not theirs wtf.
You family is whatever but you should explain to you finance why it is in both of your best interests to take another year off if you decide to do that. This was a point of contention with my SO but I was lucky enough to get into my top choice. Also, I doubt he/she would really say taking another year away from school is a "disappointment" but rather just a delay in raising a family or whatever else you want to do together.

txadv11

Silver

Post by txadv11 » Mon Nov 29, 2010 4:45 pm

elegally wrote:

152, 3.44.
I don't mean this in any rude or offensive way, but lawschoolpredictor.com says you are at 39%. Your GPA is great for Stetson, but the 25th LSAT is a 152, so 3 out of 4 applicants have higher than a 152.. and this is typically the most influential factor.

whymeohgodno

Gold

Post by whymeohgodno » Mon Nov 29, 2010 4:46 pm

Retake or don't go.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

gambelda

Bronze

Post by gambelda » Mon Nov 29, 2010 4:48 pm

AreJay711 wrote:
LSpleaseee wrote:Nobody can tell you where else to apply if you don't tell us your numbers.

Also,
You family is whatever but you should explain to you finance why it is in both of your best interests to take another year off if you decide to do that. This was a point of contention with my SO but I was lucky enough to get into my top choice. Also, I doubt he/she would really say taking another year away from school is a "disappointment" but rather just a delay in raising a family or whatever else you want to do together.
Offtopic - have you found it significantly difficult to maintain a relationship during law school and still provide your full attention to performing well? I have been really putting off the dating scene due to travel for my job and the possibility of law school completely wrecking any relationship I was in when I enrolled.

elegally

New

Post by elegally » Mon Nov 29, 2010 4:49 pm

Mike12188 wrote:OP, do you have a guranteed job in your family's law firm upon graduating?
Yes, I have a guaranteed job. My family has said that once I complete law school, they will start a satellite firm in the city of my choice. Or- if I want to stay in my current location- I can continue to work in this office.

lalalawya

Bronze

Post by lalalawya » Mon Nov 29, 2010 4:53 pm

gdane5 wrote:Sorry sweetheart, but maybe this is a sign that law school just isnt for you.

Good luck!
I think it is ironic you end your post with "don't let other peoples opinions deprive you of the possibility of good things." Yet you start the post with "Sorry sweetheart, but may this is a sign that law school isn't for you."

OP: I say study for the February LSAT. That way, if you get waitlisted from the other schools that you have yet to hear from, you will be able to send them an updated (and hopefully higher) LSAT score ASAP--one that would hopefully change you from "waitlist" to "admit." Or if you are admitted to schools pre Feb. LSAT, a higher score may make you elgible for scholarship money. This is a win-win situation. Also, if you score substantially higher than your current score on the Feb. LSAT, the possibility to apply to higher ranked schools opens up. I know you say that you don't want to wait another year to apply in fear of further disappointing your family/finance, but ultimately you have to decide what is best for YOU. Whatever you decide to do, good luck! This is obviously not a easy decision.

gambelda

Bronze

Post by gambelda » Mon Nov 29, 2010 4:54 pm

Given this information, where you go to law school doesn't even matter. Apply to a few safeties, do well in law school, graduate, get job, do well in job, ditch job for better job after having proven yourself.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

AreJay711

Gold

Post by AreJay711 » Mon Nov 29, 2010 4:56 pm

gambelda wrote:
AreJay711 wrote:

Also,
Offtopic - have you found it significantly difficult to maintain a relationship during law school and still provide your full attention to performing well? I have been really putting off the dating scene due to travel for my job and the possibility of law school completely wrecking any relationship I was in when I enrolled.
Can't help you on that one. I'm a 0L but just got accepted ED. I really wanted t10 or bust but didn't have #s for that to be a guarantee. From what I gained on here LS relationship seem to work out ok for some people. It isn't like LS is full of babes and studs lol.

Grizz

Diamond

Post by Grizz » Mon Nov 29, 2010 4:57 pm

elegally wrote:
Mike12188 wrote:OP, do you have a guranteed job in your family's law firm upon graduating?
Yes, I have a guaranteed job. My family has said that once I complete law school, they will start a satellite firm in the city of my choice. Or- if I want to stay in my current location- I can continue to work in this office.
Then apply to some crappy FL T4s, go wherever gives you the most money, and hope you don't fail out.

YankeesFan

Silver

Post by YankeesFan » Mon Nov 29, 2010 5:07 pm

If you already have a job lined up after graduation then it doesnt matter where you go. You have a good shot, if not auto in at Barry, Florida Coastal, FIU, Nova, St. Thomas and Florida A&M.

Mike12188

Silver

Post by Mike12188 » Mon Nov 29, 2010 5:16 pm

gambelda wrote:Given this information, where you go to law school doesn't even matter. Apply to a few safeties, do well in law school, graduate, get job, do well in job, ditch job for better job after having proven yourself.
Yea, go where there is nice weather and you can get some money. Just make sure you graduate. /thread

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

BriaTharen

Silver

Post by BriaTharen » Mon Nov 29, 2010 5:38 pm

rad law wrote:
elegally wrote:
Then apply to some crappy FL T4s, go wherever gives you the most money, and hope you don't fail out.
This.

Clint Eastwood

Silver

Post by Clint Eastwood » Mon Nov 29, 2010 5:47 pm

--ImageRemoved--

luckyme

Bronze

Post by luckyme » Mon Nov 29, 2010 8:07 pm

gambelda wrote:Given this information, where you go to law school doesn't even matter. Apply to a few safeties, do well in law school, graduate, get job, do well in job, ditch job for better job after having proven yourself.

eternallearner

Bronze

Post by eternallearner » Tue Nov 30, 2010 2:27 am

While I cannot provide a direct answer on your law school route, I can provide the following.

I highly doubt that your family is disappointed with you. You are being too hard on yourself.

Though I have an impressive resume/credentials, I have faced failures before. Who hasn't? The bridge to understanding humanity is to have an open, honest, and direct dialog with those you care about. That's what I do w/my folks and they love me for who I am and they still brag about me to their true friends. I often joke: I have the best PR representatives working for me. My folks.

I hope you find peace with yourself and your folks, especially during this holiday season. I am sure they will understand.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”