Saving Teacher Recommendations on LSAC? Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
February1088

New

Saving Teacher Recommendations on LSAC?

Post by February1088 » Mon Nov 29, 2010 12:13 am

Hi, I am going to graduate in a month and I won't be going to law school right away. I'm going to take a year and a half break and then go. I need my teacher recommendations and I was wondering how I "save it" on lsac?

https://os.lsac.org/Release/Apply/LOR/Recommender.aspx

is this the page I go to? whats the difference between a recommender and an evaluator?

it asks for their address and stuff. This means their office address on campus right? Not their home address

What does it mean when it asks "Number of letters from this recommender"? I want to save this teacher's recommendation so I can send it to multiple schools a year from now, not just 1 school.

Can someone help me please?

Pleasye

Platinum

Re: Saving Teacher Recommendations on LSAC?

Post by Pleasye » Mon Nov 29, 2010 12:34 am

1) That link doesn't work because it's probably from your LSAC account which I don't have access to.

2) "Saving" your LORs on LSAC is easy. You have your recommender write your letter and mail it in to LSAC with the LOR form attached. LSAC will upload the letter and it will stay there for as long as your CAS is valid (5 years I believe).

3) The address can be any address you want but yes their office address makes more sense. Unless you have your recommenders home address and their permission to use that address.

4) Sometimes people will have their LOR writers write them more than one letter when they want school-specific letters (so the LOR writer would write a letter specifically for lets say, Stanford and then one that would be sent to all schools). That's why it asks how many letters from your recommender. Don't worry, the one letter that you send to schools will be sent to any schools that you assign it to.

It's smart to get your letters while you are still in school even though you are going to take some time off. Good luck!

February1088

New

Post by February1088 » Mon Nov 29, 2010 1:42 am

so I just give them this form for them to write me one? then they will mail it themselves to that lsac address provided?

do I need to pay a "fee" for the service?

Pleasye

Platinum

Post by Pleasye » Mon Nov 29, 2010 2:13 am

February1088 wrote:so I just give them this form for them to write me one? then they will mail it themselves to that lsac address provided?

In order to have your LOR saved on LSAC (and for LSAC to process it AT ALL) you need to be enrolled in the Credential Assembly Service, and yes you pay a fee for the service. You print out the LOR form and give it to your recommender to send with your LOR. It is also nice to provide them with an envelope that is already addressed and stamped so they don't have to pay for postage.

im_blue

Gold

Post by im_blue » Mon Nov 29, 2010 2:34 am

LSpleaseee wrote:
February1088 wrote:so I just give them this form for them to write me one? then they will mail it themselves to that lsac address provided?

In order to have your LOR saved on LSAC (and for LSAC to process it AT ALL) you need to be enrolled in the Credential Assembly Service, and yes you pay a fee for the service. You print out the LOR form and give it to your recommender to send with your LOR. It is also nice to provide them with an envelope that is already addressed and stamped so they don't have to pay for postage.
+1. CAS costs $124.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

February1088

New

Post by February1088 » Mon Nov 29, 2010 11:29 am

okay I just bought the CAS. If I didn't buy it, would I still have been able to print out the forms for my teacher? Where is the noticable difference that CAS allows? Does it simply let me save my information online?

Pleasye

Platinum

Post by Pleasye » Mon Nov 29, 2010 1:56 pm

February1088 wrote:okay I just bought the CAS. If I didn't buy it, would I still have been able to print out the forms for my teacher? Where is the noticable difference that CAS allows? Does it simply let me save my information online?
I'm pretty sure you wouldn't have been able to print the form if you didn't have CAS (even if you could it wouldn't matter because LSAC wouldn't accept your letter). The noticeable difference is that most of the schools in the US only want you to apply through LSAC and in order to do that you need to have CAS. LSAC basically gathers all of your stuff for you (transcripts (they even calculate your GPA for schools), LORs and applications) all in one place and then when you apply sends copies of everything out to the schools whose applications you send out. This is all on LSAC's website by the way.

February1088

New

Post by February1088 » Tue Nov 30, 2010 8:13 pm

thank you so much!!!
you saved my life :P

i printed out the form, i'm going to give to my teacher along with the envelope tomorrow

Pleasye

Platinum

Post by Pleasye » Tue Nov 30, 2010 8:15 pm

February1088 wrote:thank you so much!!!
you saved my life :P

i printed out the form, i'm going to give to my teacher along with the envelope tomorrow
No problem. Good luck with everything!

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”