Personal Statement Error

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
dvb689

Personal Statement Error

Postby dvb689 » Mon Nov 29, 2010 12:03 am

Hello All,

I just realized that I have a typographical error in my personal statement. Up to this point, I have already submitted a number of applications using this generic statement. Does anyone know if there is any way that I can resubmit a revised version to these schools? I suppose it's not really the end of the world, but it would be nice to have this fixed. Thanks in advance for any input!

superhands

Re: Personal Statement Error

Postby superhands » Mon Nov 29, 2010 12:18 am

Ouch

ThundercatsRinnocent

Postby ThundercatsRinnocent » Mon Nov 29, 2010 12:21 am

Uh oh..... :cry:

kellycane

Postby kellycane » Mon Nov 29, 2010 12:25 am

How serious is the typographical error? Can you give us the sentence(s)?

Even though any error is bad, if it's something that can pass as an artistic use of a colloquial expression, or is something debated such as the Oxford comma, you may not want to call attention to it by sending the schools a revised copy.

dvb689

Postby dvb689 » Mon Nov 29, 2010 12:48 am

No, its something that is glaring. Instead of saying "prospective" clients, i wrote "perspective" clients. I also noticed a your/you're usage error. I'm upset because these are such silly things, but things that I did not catch when I read over it the first 1000 times. I'm sure we've all done it; when you read your work, sometimes things just do not pop out at you. What's even more frustrating is the fact that I brought this essay to be professionally revised. I'm starting to think that maybe I should just call these schools.

BriaTharen

Postby BriaTharen » Mon Nov 29, 2010 12:52 am

Some schools will let you, but it is a headache. If you do this to schools where you have already had your application designated as "complete," they will have to pull your file, and your file will be treated as having been complete on the day that you sent in the revised copy so that will push your application back a bit. Some schools won't let you because this is such a pain.

Also, like a previous poster had stated, it calls attention to the error. If this error is something critical that really needs to be fixed, then go ahead and send it in. But if it is typing "teh" instead of "the," chalk it up as a painful lesson to proofread proofread, then wait a week, and proofread again with fresh eyes.

dvb689

Postby dvb689 » Mon Nov 29, 2010 1:07 am

I definitely hear what you're all saying. Like I said, I wrote perspective client instead of prospective client and misused your/you're. It's a tough call. I still cannot believe that my eye did not catch these things. What's done is done, though. Just for closure, do all schools really analyze these personal statements to death? I mean think about it, they are probably reading hundreds of them over and over again. It must get monotonous!

mandibles

Postby mandibles » Mon Nov 29, 2010 1:09 am

I submitted my PS with a sentence that began "Without An th an agreement" to a t6 school (admit according to LSP). I guess I'll find out if Law schools care more than numbers...

kellycane

Postby kellycane » Mon Nov 29, 2010 1:23 am

For what it's worth, I'm an English major and if I had to read a gazillion essays I might not catch the perspective/prospective error. I wouldn't call attention to it by submitting a revised copy, especially since numbers are almost always the most important factor anyway. Just have a friend or family read your statement over-- and out loud-- one more time before you submit it to any other schools.

Saltqjibo

Postby Saltqjibo » Mon Nov 29, 2010 1:23 am

I have a strict policy of not reading over these things once they go in. I proofread it a few times, send it to my friend who is a copy editor, and then it is up to fate.

BriaTharen

Postby BriaTharen » Mon Nov 29, 2010 1:55 am

dvb689 wrote:I definitely hear what you're all saying. Like I said, I wrote perspective client instead of prospective client and misused your/you're. It's a tough call. I still cannot believe that my eye did not catch these things. What's done is done, though. Just for closure, do all schools really analyze these personal statements to death? I mean think about it, they are probably reading hundreds of them over and over again. It must get monotonous!

Optimistic answer- For the first round, unless you have some stellar PS, DS, etc, the admissions representative that is reading your file spends about 5-7 minutes on it. So there is scanning, and small errors like that aren't going to be as glaring as they may seem right now.

Pessimistic answer- LS Applications are supposed to be your absolute best work. If they catch it, you sent the message that your best work has errors.

The pessimistic approach is the reason why you don't want to call attention to something so minor.

easternstandardtime1

Postby easternstandardtime1 » Mon Nov 29, 2010 2:51 am

Last edited by easternstandardtime1 on Wed Feb 02, 2011 3:45 am, edited 1 time in total.

catsparka

Postby catsparka » Mon Nov 29, 2010 3:30 am

mandibles wrote:I submitted my PS with a sentence that began "Without An th an agreement" to a t6 school (admit according to LSP). I guess I'll find out if Law schools care more than numbers...

Wait, what?

mandibles

Postby mandibles » Mon Nov 29, 2010 4:04 am

mandibles wrote:
I submitted my PS with a sentence that began "Without An th an agreement" to a t6 school (admit according to LSP). I guess I'll find out if Law schools care more than numbers...

Wait, what?

Sorry. In my PS, I began one sentence with "Without An th an agreement." It was supposed to be "Without an agreement." I thought I proofread my PS but obviously I didn't do a good job. For one of the top 6 schools, I submitted this PS. I am considered admit to that school according to LSP (>95%) using just my LSAT and gpa. If I get rejected, I think I know what got me rejected.

catsparka

Postby catsparka » Mon Nov 29, 2010 4:13 am

mandibles wrote:
mandibles wrote:

Wait, what?

Sorry. In my PS, I began one sentence with "Without An th an agreement." It was supposed to be "Without an agreement." I thought I proofread my PS but obviously I didn't do a good job. For one of the top 6 schools, I submitted this PS. I am considered admit to that school according to LSP (>95%) using just my LSAT and gpa. If I get rejected, I think I know what got me rejected.

Oh okay. I was just confused because I couldn't figure out what "Without An th an agreement" was supposed to have said.

Fark-o-vision

Postby Fark-o-vision » Mon Nov 29, 2010 4:19 am

What type of schools are you applying? The lower the better. I sent an atrocious one (I mean, I couldn't believe it) during one round last year and still got in with a significant scholly because my numbers were on target for the school. "You/You're" is going to get passed around the admissions office anyway, because people love to pick on that one. Perspective/prospective probably won't get caught and, really, honest mistakes are made in professional writing every day. You'll find them books, even.

To test this, I applied to a midrange school where my numbers were good. I'd gotten a fee waiver and although they were a school that I would have considered, depending on the offer, they weren't top of the list. I sent a well structured, pretty well thought out essay to them that contained more than a few errors (and these were the ones I knew about). Mostly comma error stuff and one Affect/Effect. Accepted, with a scholly.

Now if you're applying to the big league, where it seems like they've got mroe than enough applicants to make their numbers, you might be out of luck.

BriaTharen

Postby BriaTharen » Mon Nov 29, 2010 9:11 am

easternstandardtime1 wrote:I have a similar problem. I was rushing to get my applications out asap and wrote a subpar DS (I am a URM). I have since written a completely new (and different) DS which I believe is much more effective in its intended purpose.

Does anybody think it would be worth sending the new DS to the schools I had already sent the previous "subpar" statement to?

I don't know why you sent the subpar one it the first place.

jwaters

Postby jwaters » Mon Nov 29, 2010 9:33 am

Last edited by jwaters on Mon Dec 13, 2010 12:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

lharsha

Postby lharsha » Mon Nov 29, 2010 9:40 am

If you've read your essay loads of times and have had other people read it loads of times and these errors still slipped by, it's not likely that others will notice them easily. I'd let it go. They'll probably be skimming your essay. Don't send in your apps unless you've read them over and over, and don't look at it once it is submitted. It's the only way to stay sane! :)

BriaTharen

Postby BriaTharen » Mon Nov 29, 2010 9:45 am

This is why I recommend getting your PS/DS perfect, then taking a break from it for about a week. When you come back, you may find that that line you thought was just brilliant, is actually really cliche and histrionic.

You're probably more likely to also catch the your/you're and other errors when you are looking at it with fresh eyes.

dvb689

Postby dvb689 » Mon Nov 29, 2010 12:53 pm

Thank you all for your input. Based upon what I've heard here, I'm just going to move forward without sending a revised copy. Wish you all the best!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”