Frustration with LSAC

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
nsideirish

Frustration with LSAC

Postby nsideirish » Sun Nov 28, 2010 6:42 pm

Okay..one of my professors sent in a letter of recommendation 3 weeks ago and the LSAC still hasn't processed it. So last week, she sent in another copy just in case...and still, NOTHING. I have everything together and ready to be sent out but I need that one more letter (its a very strong one). Has anyone else had to wait a ridiculous amount of time for a letter to be processed? Any advice on what I should do? I wanted to have all my apps in before Thanksgiving, now I will be lucky if its before Christmas. GOD DAMN IT!!

Knock

Re: Frustration with LSAC

Postby Knock » Sun Nov 28, 2010 6:45 pm

nsideirish wrote:Okay..one of my professors sent in a letter of recommendation 3 weeks ago and the LSAC still hasn't processed it. So last week, she sent in another copy just in case...and still, NOTHING. I have everything together and ready to be sent out but I need that one more letter (its a very strong one). Has anyone else had to wait a ridiculous amount of time for a letter to be processed? Any advice on what I should do? I wanted to have all my apps in before Thanksgiving, now I will be lucky if its before Christmas. GOD DAMN IT!!

Call LSAC, explain your situation very politely, and see if they can help you out. Sometimes being nice can go a long way.

NZA

Postby NZA » Sun Nov 28, 2010 6:49 pm

nsideirish wrote:Okay..one of my professors sent in a letter of recommendation 3 weeks ago and the LSAC still hasn't processed it. So last week, she sent in another copy just in case...and still, NOTHING. I have everything together and ready to be sent out but I need that one more letter (its a very strong one). Has anyone else had to wait a ridiculous amount of time for a letter to be processed? Any advice on what I should do? I wanted to have all my apps in before Thanksgiving, now I will be lucky if its before Christmas. GOD DAMN IT!!

Don't some schools allow you to submit the rest of your application while waiting for LORs?

Hell, you might call your top choice schools and just explain the situation and see if your prof can just mail letters direct to them.

nsideirish

Postby nsideirish » Sun Nov 28, 2010 7:02 pm

NZA wrote:

Don't some schools allow you to submit the rest of your application while waiting for LORs?

Hell, you might call your top choice schools and just explain the situation and see if your prof can just mail letters direct to them.

Thats the tricky part. My professor just left to go visit the Middle East to visit family and wont be back until after Christmas so I don't have access to her.

I'll try calling LSAC Monday and explain what's going on to see if there is anything at all they can do. I hate this feeling of the clock just ticking away and my chances at my top choices getting less and less with every passing day.

sarahlawg

Postby sarahlawg » Sun Nov 28, 2010 7:57 pm

I waited a week before being frustrated enough to just send out my apps without the LOR. Three days later I was notified that it came in and they sent it out to where I had applied.

Is it your only LOR? for schools with no requirement you may want to send it out if you have another one already lined up. That way you go complete earlier (don't know if this matters), but the LOR comes in before they actually read it.

nsideirish

Postby nsideirish » Sun Nov 28, 2010 8:25 pm

I have one already in and processed so I can go complete at schools that only require one (which is only 2 schools I am interested in). I don't know what I should do with the other 8 or so schools that require 2.

krad

Postby krad » Mon Nov 29, 2010 10:45 am

Ugh! I am in the same situation and it's driving me crazy! I called LSAC this AM and they said they still have no processed letters from my old boss (who travels internationally all the time).

I submitted my apps last week and emailed the schools that don't hold for LORs explaining the sitch. I have one letter in already, so I'm complete at two schools that only require one (or none). Hopefully my other letter will be processed before they go into review, but there's not much more I can do other than to explain it to the schools; I wanted my apps in by Tgiving...

I hope that helps a little bit! If it's any consolation I had asked my writer to email them by the end of Oct and he mails them mid-Nov. Awesome...

Good luck!

nsideirish

Postby nsideirish » Tue Nov 30, 2010 9:13 am

Well, I got a hold of LSAC. Turns out LSAC did receive the letter but my recommender didn't SIGN THE LETTER!!! Ugh...she is an absolute genius of a professor and very established in the professional world. How can she forget to sign the letter?! I e-mailed her and hopefully can get her to send another letter ASAP and just send my apps in then. kdfjasfadlfjl

jr8966

Postby jr8966 » Tue Nov 30, 2010 9:20 am

Why don't you go ahead and have the prof. also fax the letter? I know LSAC had a fax number that I used when I submitted my LOR's last year. They processed the LOR within 24 hours.

nsideirish

Postby nsideirish » Tue Nov 30, 2010 9:21 am

jr8966 wrote:Why don't you go ahead and have the prof. also fax the letter? I know LSAC had a fax number that I used when I submitted my LOR's last year. They processed the LOR within 24 hours.

She's visiting family in the Middle East and most likely does not have access to a fax machine. I should have done this originally though. :evil:

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”