How to show gap year on resume

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
turnonbrightlights

How to show gap year on resume

Postby turnonbrightlights » Sun Nov 28, 2010 5:57 pm

I've read on numerous applications that schools want you to update them on your post-graduate plans, but haven't found a good format on how to do it. The problem is that I'm doing four different things during my gap year and there's no way to seamlessly add them into my resume. I came up with this format but am not sure if it's appropriate--

EDUCATION blah blah blah

EXPERIENCE job 1

job 2, etc.

ACTIVITIES blah blah blah

POST-GRAD
Backpacking in Europe (May-June) (is this appropriate, or should I just omit the travel?)
Job X (July-Jan)
Study and Completion of Professional Certification Exam (Jan-March)
Job Y (March-May)

Edit--the POST-GRAD section would be formatted like all the others, just can't get it to work on here.

I omitted the exact details of my plans, but hopefully you get the idea. Is this appropriate or should I write an addendum instead? Kind of lost...
Last edited by turnonbrightlights on Sun Nov 28, 2010 6:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

D-ROCCA

Re: How to show gap year on resume

Postby D-ROCCA » Sun Nov 28, 2010 6:03 pm

Seems kind of confusing. I'd just stick to the usual education and work experience. Chronological order should make sure there isn't any ambiguity about what you've been doing. The post-grad thing just seems unnecessary.

turnonbrightlights

Postby turnonbrightlights » Sun Nov 28, 2010 6:24 pm

D-ROCCA wrote:Seems kind of confusing. I'd just stick to the usual education and work experience. Chronological order should make sure there isn't any ambiguity about what you've been doing. The post-grad thing just seems unnecessary.

Well that was what I was hoping to originally do, but I didn't think it made sense with what my plans are. For example, it seems strange to list my job next spring as EXPERIENCE even though I won't work there for like 5 months. Additionally, studying for this big exam wouldn't fit in EXPERIENCE either, and completely omitting it would leave a curious gap in my resume.

D-ROCCA

Postby D-ROCCA » Sun Nov 28, 2010 6:29 pm

Well, I'd put your studying for the certification program thing as education. As for the experience thing-you're right it would be a little weird to list it under there when you haven't done it yet. However, I've seen a ton of academics put future positions in their CVs. Ex. a lot of research fellows are given asst. prof positions for the following year, and they put this under their work experience.
hth.

turnonbrightlights

Postby turnonbrightlights » Sun Nov 28, 2010 8:09 pm

D-ROCCA wrote:Well, I'd put your studying for the certification program thing as education. As for the experience thing-you're right it would be a little weird to list it under there when you haven't done it yet. However, I've seen a ton of academics put future positions in their CVs. Ex. a lot of research fellows are given asst. prof positions for the following year, and they put this under their work experience.
hth.

I would be comfortable doing this if the certification was some kind of study program, but I'm only going to be doing self-study. Additionally, it's not a lock that I pass the exam, so I only really feel comfortable stating that I'm going to study for it and hope to pass.

Postby 09042014 » Sun Nov 28, 2010 8:30 pm

You don't have to, and usually shouldn't put future things on a resume. And definitely don't put hypothetical things on there.

Self study for a certificate shouldn't be on there at all until you get it.

Unless Job X and Job Y are good jobs, I'd just end your resume with what is current today.

LOL at backpacking being on a resume. Are you going to put your wanking habits on there too?

turnonbrightlights

Postby turnonbrightlights » Sun Nov 28, 2010 9:18 pm

Desert Fox wrote:You don't have to, and usually shouldn't put future things on a resume. And definitely don't put hypothetical things on there.

Unless Job X and Job Y are good jobs, I'd just end your resume with what is current today.

LOL at backpacking being on a resume. Are you going to put your wanking habits on there too?

lol well I would never put backpacking on a professional resume, but was just a bit confused about what should be put on a law app resume. I just figured it would be better to list what I did than list nothing and have the committee assume I was playing Black Ops all day.

Is it smart to let the committees' minds wander on what I'm doing this year? The jobs are ok but not life-changing. With your plan, though, I'd have a whole year unaccounted for and unaddressed in the rest of my app package.

D-ROCCA

Postby D-ROCCA » Sun Nov 28, 2010 9:21 pm

Desert Fox wrote:You don't have to, and usually shouldn't put future things on a resume. And definitely don't put hypothetical things on there.

All of this seems reasonable. I don't think they're going to wonder what you're going to be doing from now until next summer. Frankly, they probably don't care much.

turnonbrightlights

Postby turnonbrightlights » Sun Nov 28, 2010 10:15 pm

D-ROCCA wrote:

All of this seems reasonable. I don't think they're going to wonder what you're going to be doing from now until next summer. Frankly, they probably don't care much.

Does anyone disagree with this opinion? I have qualms about this option, but if most agree on it I'll do it.

Postby 09042014 » Sun Nov 28, 2010 10:20 pm

turnonbrightlights wrote:
D-ROCCA wrote:

Does anyone disagree with this opinion? I have qualms about this option, but if most agree on it I'll do it.

Are you still in school now? Or are you working? If you are working they will just assume you will keep working there.

When I applied I just said Job Z Oct. 2008 to current.

I could have quit the day after my application, but they don't really care.

James Bond

Postby James Bond » Sun Nov 28, 2010 10:23 pm

backpacking in europe?

can you possibly get more cliche?

turnonbrightlights

Postby turnonbrightlights » Sun Nov 28, 2010 10:35 pm

James Bond wrote:backpacking in europe?

Damn, perhaps I should've considered that before I took the trip. Great, now it looks like I can't pursue the American Dream either...

Postby 09042014 » Sun Nov 28, 2010 10:38 pm

Damn, perhaps I should've considered that before I took the trip. Great, now it looks like I can't pursue the American Dream either...

Are these things you are planning on doing? Or things you already did?

If you did them, put the jobs and the certificate if you earned it.

James Bond

Postby James Bond » Sun Nov 28, 2010 10:41 pm

Not quite sure how your snark is a reply to my snark, but still...backpacking through europe? do you have a creative bone in your body?

northwood

Postby northwood » Sun Nov 28, 2010 10:46 pm

are you in school? Are you working right now? If you are in school, the admissions people will understand that you will have a gap of time where you wont be doing much. You are continuing on with school. so there isnt really a gap. If you are working, just leave the date as present- and they will assume you will stay on the job.

If you graduated in May- and are applying now. I wouldnt worry too much about it. Admissions people may think that you are taking a break, and working at a menial job ( think best buy, or some other job), doiung non- paid things, or searching for a job in the field of your degree. I wouldnt worry to much about it.

Now, if its been 2 or more years and you havent done anything- then you may come off as lazy, or non committial.

turnonbrightlights

Postby turnonbrightlights » Sun Nov 28, 2010 10:48 pm

James Bond wrote:

Not quite sure how your snark is a reply to my snark, but still...backpacking through europe? do you have a creative bone in your body?

My snark was referencing how perhaps some cliches are popular because they are actually positive experiences. I'm broke and had never been outside the country before. With a few months to burn, I figured that it was a great option to see some places that I've always wanted to see.

mpasi

Postby mpasi » Sun Nov 28, 2010 11:42 pm

James Bond wrote:

You could say that about a lot of people here, given that the law school/lawyer road is over traveled and there aren't enough jobs out there for the "I've always wanted to be a lawyer/I wanna get PAID" crowd. I think we can both agree that the legal field is depressingly saturated.

James Bond

Postby James Bond » Sun Nov 28, 2010 11:44 pm

turnonbrightlights wrote:My snark was referencing how perhaps some cliches are popular because they are actually positive experiences. I'm broke and had never been outside the country before. With a few months to burn, I figured that it was a great option to see some places that I've always wanted to see.

You're quickly redeeming yourself in the face of snark. I like you, mr. mynameistoolongandhasnospaces

:wink:

James Bond

Postby James Bond » Sun Nov 28, 2010 11:44 pm

mpasi wrote: I think we can both agree that the legal field is depressingly saturated.

Aye, I actively try to dissuade people from the profession

JJDancer

Postby JJDancer » Mon Nov 29, 2010 7:15 pm

I'd say keep all the future things off your resume since there are at least 5 months until you do any of them.

If you get waitlisted, include your future plans in a LOCI by saying "I have secured a position at X beginning at my graduation in May 2011" or whatever.

Alternatively (not sure how kosher this is) you can write a short (1 paragraph) addendum about your post grad plans.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”