Scary LSAT

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
kelc213

Re: Scary LSAT

Postby kelc213 » Tue Nov 30, 2010 4:34 pm

Dbate wrote:
motiontodismiss wrote:I scored a 155. It's no big deal. 15-20 points is not uncommon on TLS.

Do people generally take prep courses for the LSAT? Also, is it really easy to increase by 15-20 points? That seems like a substantial increase.

When do people typically take the LSAT and do extracurriculars matter, as they do in college admissions? I am rather ignorant of the process so I would appreciate any help/advice.

OP, what makes you want to go to law school? It seems that you're pretty young and extremely driven and doing all you can to prepare yourself for the admissions process, but what leads you to decide that you want to practice law? You've got years to decide what you want to do, since you're only a sophomore. You ask when people take the LSAT, they take it when the time is right. Some people take it 2+ years out of undergrad.

Don't alter your undergraduate degree path (you mentioned taking philosophy classes) just as a means to doing well on the test. Take the classes that interest you and make you a well-rounded human being. That'll mean more in the long run than fine-tuning your extracurriculars and your classes towards law school, only to perhaps realize that its not what you want.

Arbiter213

Postby Arbiter213 » Tue Nov 30, 2010 4:48 pm

As a counterpoint: I had a 168 cold diagnostic and scored a 168 on the real thing. I was scoring high 170s on all my prep tests (multiple a week) leading up to the test.

So even if you improve, you might not :shock:

But yah, chill. Study some. You'll do better.
Probably.

NZA

Postby NZA » Tue Nov 30, 2010 4:49 pm

Arbiter213 wrote:As a counterpoint: I had a 168 cold diagnostic and scored a 168 on the real thing. I was scoring high 170s on all my prep tests (multiple a week) leading up to the test.

Probably.

Anyone with Omar as his/her avatar is definitely someone to pay attention to. Man got to have a code!

Arbiter213

Postby Arbiter213 » Tue Nov 30, 2010 4:50 pm

NZA wrote:
Arbiter213 wrote:As a counterpoint: I had a 168 cold diagnostic and scored a 168 on the real thing. I was scoring high 170s on all my prep tests (multiple a week) leading up to the test.

Probably.

Anyone with Omar as his/her avatar is definitely someone to pay attention to. Man got to have a code!

Good reference, not Omar though.

Chalky from Boardwalk Empire.

username99

Postby username99 » Tue Nov 30, 2010 4:54 pm

Arbiter213 wrote:
NZA wrote:

Probably.

To me, he'll always be Omar. Come at the king, best not miss.

NZA

Postby NZA » Tue Nov 30, 2010 4:55 pm

Arbiter213 wrote:
NZA wrote:

Probably.

Haven't seen it, yet, alas. Have to wait for the DVD. :)

To me, he'll always be Omar. Come at the king, best not miss.

Haha! No doubt.

Dbate

Postby Dbate » Fri Dec 03, 2010 3:58 am

kelc213 wrote:
Dbate wrote:
motiontodismiss wrote:I scored a 155. It's no big deal. 15-20 points is not uncommon on TLS.

Do people generally take prep courses for the LSAT? Also, is it really easy to increase by 15-20 points? That seems like a substantial increase.

When do people typically take the LSAT and do extracurriculars matter, as they do in college admissions? I am rather ignorant of the process so I would appreciate any help/advice.

OP, what makes you want to go to law school? It seems that you're pretty young and extremely driven and doing all you can to prepare yourself for the admissions process, but what leads you to decide that you want to practice law? You've got years to decide what you want to do, since you're only a sophomore. You ask when people take the LSAT, they take it when the time is right. Some people take it 2+ years out of undergrad.

Don't alter your undergraduate degree path (you mentioned taking philosophy classes) just as a means to doing well on the test. Take the classes that interest you and make you a well-rounded human being. That'll mean more in the long run than fine-tuning your extracurriculars and your classes towards law school, only to perhaps realize that its not what you want.

The reason I want to go to law school is that I am really interested in policy and the political process. However, many careers relating to that area seem to be dubious when it comes to job security. I have no interest in being a politician, but I would like a career that involved the political process in some manner and maybe even one day work in the field of public policy. Law seems like the most financial secure option to achieve those goals. And since financial security is important to me, I don't want to take any chance of not getting into a top law school, hence why I am thinking about this now.

schrizto

Postby schrizto » Fri Dec 03, 2010 5:17 am

Heh OP, your username sounds familiar. I think I may have seen you on another forum, perhaps SDN.

albanach

Postby albanach » Fri Dec 03, 2010 11:12 am

Dbate wrote:
The reason I want to go to law school is that I am really interested in policy and the political process. However, many careers relating to that area seem to be dubious when it comes to job security. I have no interest in being a politician, but I would like a career that involved the political process in some manner and maybe even one day work in the field of public policy. Law seems like the most financial secure option to achieve those goals. And since financial security is important to me, I don't want to take any chance of not getting into a top law school, hence why I am thinking about this now.

Seriously? If you want a career in politics, law school is one very expensive way to get there. you are going to incurr the best part of $200,000 in loans that need repaid. You're possibly facing ten to twenty years working as a lawyer to pay those off before you could afford to work in politics.

Your hours at law school and as a junior associate might not be conducive to maintaining a significant involvement in local politics either.

If you want to be a lawyer, go to law school.

username99

Postby username99 » Fri Dec 03, 2010 11:32 am

Dbate wrote:
kelc213 wrote:
Dbate wrote:

You suffer from a common illness known as The Path. Law school, to most undergrads with an interest in policy, politics, etc, seems like "what's next" on the path. Most of the poli sci majors at my alma mater went right to law school. Most are now miserable and/or dead. Just kidding. None are dead. But most sincerely wish they took time off first to either explore other options or to have a better reason for going than "I'm interested in something tangentially related to law." Dude. Take time off, even if it's a year or two, and explore.

northwood

Postby northwood » Fri Dec 03, 2010 1:05 pm

definately do some exploring. You might be shocked at this, but its pretty common for people to be doing something totally unrelated to their major a few years out of ug. There are a lot of people who work in their field of study for a year or two, realize they hate it, and do something else, either related to their undergrad studies, or totally un related. I would say your best bet is to figure out what you like, give it a try to see if its really for you, then worry about the LSAT and law school. If you know in your heart that you want to go to law school, then do some work at a law firm while you are in school, or right out of school. That way you can tell if its for you, or not, without wasting a lot of time, money, and stress.

whymeohgodno

Postby whymeohgodno » Fri Dec 03, 2010 1:06 pm

Probably.

Lol, this is pretty epic fail. If I scored my cold diagnostic on my real thing I would be so sad.

tipler4213

Postby tipler4213 » Fri Dec 03, 2010 4:34 pm

149-->170. And I was PTing at 175, with a 180 mixed in for giggles.

tipler4213

Postby tipler4213 » Fri Dec 03, 2010 4:35 pm

And as has been stated. Enjoy college.

Arbiter213

Postby Arbiter213 » Fri Dec 03, 2010 10:17 pm

whymeohgodno wrote:

Probably.

Lol, this is pretty epic fail. If I scored my cold diagnostic on my real thing I would be so sad.

:cry: I was. That's why I retook it.

And scored the same again, even with improved practice test scores.

I apparently don't do well on "math tests".

Ragged

Postby Ragged » Fri Dec 03, 2010 11:05 pm

Arbiter213 wrote:
whymeohgodno wrote:

Probably.

:cry: I was. That's why I retook it.

And scored the same again, even with improved practice test scores.

I apparently don't do well on "math tests".

Hey, atleast you didn't do worse on the retake... :roll:

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”