Scary LSAT

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
NZA

Re: Scary LSAT

Postby NZA » Sun Nov 28, 2010 3:44 pm

To the OP: Just chill out. :) Don't worry about it. The fact that you're taking diagnostics as a sophomore in college is a sign that you are definitely taking this too seriously.

Contrary to the opinions of some of this forum, your LSAT score is not the arbiter of your value as a human being. You're obviously a smart person if you scored a 159 cold (I did, too, and then ended up with a 169), but you need to relax a bit.

And also: don't think that a 159 is a bad score, anyway. There are people who work damn hard preparing for the LSAT and are proud to get a 159. And they should be! They did their best.

So, in conclusion, go have a drink, call your mom and tell her you love her, and keep this all only in the back of your mind for a few years. :) Then you can come back here and be all stressed and obsessive.

rayiner

Postby rayiner » Sun Nov 28, 2010 3:46 pm

Dbate wrote:For a rough evaluation, I recently took a practice LSAT and my score was literally terrible. I scored an abysmal 159. Currently, I am a sophomore in college and I wanted to take it to identify the lowest possible score I could receive and that score almost makes me want to reconsider law as a career path--because I have read several times that if you don't get into a T14 your employment prospects are dismal.

Did anyone else have a similar score at this point in their university experience? And is it possible to improve to a 170+ by the end of junior year, which is--I think--the appropriate time to take the LSAT?

Also, for those who aced the LSAT, do you think that a LSAT course would be the best preparation for the test or would a book and self study be sufficient? Thanks!!!

An 11 point improvement from your diagnostic is entirely possible.

Just keep up your GPA, you'll have no problem getting a 170 and getting into a T14.

EDIT: Missing that many on games puts you in a great spot. Games are the easiest to improve. Likely you just have a bad short-term working memory and need to learn how to diagram properly to compensate.

Games were my weakest section (-13 LG after giving myself 1 hour, -1 RC, -1 LR on my diagnostic) and it took only 10-15 PTs to get me to a -3 on the real thing. Once diagramming "clicks" you'll see a big jump in your score.
Last edited by rayiner on Sun Nov 28, 2010 3:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

username99

Postby username99 » Sun Nov 28, 2010 3:52 pm

Dbate wrote:
leeronalda wrote:
Dbate wrote:For a rough evaluation, I recently took a practice LSAT and my score was literally terrible. I scored an abysmal 159.

Be careful saying stuff like this... it might really offend someone who studied and ended with a score like that. And for your FIRST practice test, it's not that bad. I scored 160 on my first PT and i ended up with a 170. I was getting around 175 on my last PTs before my test though. So I mean seriously CHILL doode.

Oh sorry, I really did not mean to offend at all. Looking through this forum it seemed as if the overall distribution was skewed toward the higher end of the spectrum, so i didn't even think that some people may have been offended. I apologize. Your eventual success does give me some hope that I can do better. If you don't mind me asking, did you take a prep course or study independently?

I'll bet you're really fun to hang out with at parties. But yeah, you will improve. The test isn't about being smart - it's about learning how to take the test. My first practice test was a 141 and I ended up with a 179. That's not true. But two things that might help you: First, you're a sophomore - have fun and wait until next year to worry about this. Second, your first test has no real bearing on how you will do. So relax, study, take a few untimed tests to get your chops down and then get to work on it. You'll be fine.

AreJay711

Postby AreJay711 » Sun Nov 28, 2010 3:54 pm

I think a course on logic will be helpful. On the October LSAT I only got 1 LR wrong and never practiced it besides on PT's (which i took a lot of). Games are learnable but look at different approaches. I stuck with Powerscore's Logic Games Bible and some question types just got me -- like the last question on the Oct test where I suffered a -6 slide. I actually think LG are the one section that really tests mental horsepower.

RC is all about learning what to look for.

LR is so much easier than what you will do in an intro to logic course that has symbolic logic -- though tighter on time of course -- so I think that will help a lot.

robotclubmember

Postby robotclubmember » Sun Nov 28, 2010 4:02 pm

Dbate wrote:For a rough evaluation, I recently took a practice LSAT and my score was literally terrible. I scored an abysmal 159. Currently, I am a sophomore in college and I wanted to take it to identify the lowest possible score I could receive and that score almost makes me want to reconsider law as a career path--because I have read several times that if you don't get into a T14 your employment prospects are dismal.

Did anyone else have a similar score at this point in their university experience? And is it possible to improve to a 170+ by the end of junior year, which is--I think--the appropriate time to take the LSAT?

Also, for those who aced the LSAT, do you think that a LSAT course would be the best preparation for the test or would a book and self study be sufficient? Thanks!!!

Oh hi!!!

Use the search function more please. And get laid.

The Gentleman

Postby The Gentleman » Sun Nov 28, 2010 4:13 pm

- My cold diagnostic was 161 (but I gave myself extra time, so let's call it a 158-159)
- Oct 2010 was 171
- I studied for 4-5 months and was PTing as high as 178

The moral of the story? A 159 is a pretty sweet diagnostic.

ahduth

Postby ahduth » Sun Nov 28, 2010 4:20 pm

So I guess I never did a strict diagnostic? I did a few untimed sections for awhile. Then I did some timed sections. Then I did one big one where I did four sections timed all at once.

When people refer to diagnostic, are they always referring to something through one of these services that soak you for money? Or is that just your first "real" practice test. If it's your first real test, I did mine at 177, but I didn't quite hit that on the actual test the next day.

cortnf

Postby cortnf » Sun Nov 28, 2010 5:11 pm

I did 156 on my cold diagnostic, studied fairly intensely for three months (Powerscore course included), highest PT was 170 (only did like 7 though), scored 172 in October. A 159 cold is VERY solid. You'll be able to crack 170 with no trouble if you put in the time.

username99

Postby username99 » Sun Nov 28, 2010 8:28 pm

cortnf wrote:I did 156 on my cold diagnostic, studied fairly intensely for three months (Powerscore course included), highest PT was 170 (only did like 7 though), scored 172 in October. A 159 cold is VERY solid. You'll be able to crack 170 with no trouble if you put in the time.

You know what I got on my first test? Vomit. I was nervous. But on the second I got a 161 or something and ended up high 160's.

HawksJetsFalcons

Postby HawksJetsFalcons » Sun Nov 28, 2010 8:41 pm

Last edited by HawksJetsFalcons on Wed Jun 22, 2011 3:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Ragged

Postby Ragged » Sun Nov 28, 2010 8:44 pm

OP, 159 is a good diagnostic. Do not waste money on the course. Just do selfstudy for several months before the test and you will get 170+ at least.
Last edited by Ragged on Sun Nov 28, 2010 8:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Postby 2014 » Sun Nov 28, 2010 8:45 pm

Did you strictly time yourself OP? Like not allow yourself to finish a passage or a game that you were still working on at 35 minutes exactly. If not your 159 is probably higher than you are really at right now.

170 is possible though, but certainly not a given. I scored my diagnostic in October after studying for 2 months.

Dbate

Postby Dbate » Sun Nov 28, 2010 11:27 pm

2014 wrote:Did you strictly time yourself OP? Like not allow yourself to finish a passage or a game that you were still working on at 35 minutes exactly. If not your 159 is probably higher than you are really at right now.

170 is possible though, but certainly not a given. I scored my diagnostic in October after studying for 2 months.

Yeah, I used a timer. I messed up the timing on a part though, so I underestimated to adjust.

iskim88

Postby iskim88 » Sun Nov 28, 2010 11:38 pm

one of my best friends started with a 152 in his first PT and ended with a 172 on the actual test.
Last edited by iskim88 on Mon Aug 26, 2013 8:53 am, edited 1 time in total.

ThundercatsRinnocent

Postby ThundercatsRinnocent » Sun Nov 28, 2010 11:42 pm

You need to step your game up, hombre. I'm a sophomore too and I've been pumping out 180s on my PTs with ease. I usually finish with about 5 minutes to spare and make myself some tea.

Postby 005618502 » Sun Nov 28, 2010 11:46 pm

You're an idiot

ahduth

Postby ahduth » Sun Nov 28, 2010 11:48 pm

ThundercatsRinnocent wrote:You need to step your game up, hombre. I'm a sophomore too and I've been pumping out 180s on my PTs with ease. I usually finish with about 5 minutes to spare and make myself some tea.

Was it Nilgiri? God, I've been drinking that stuff by the gallon. These Tamils know their tea.

thecilent

Postby thecilent » Mon Nov 29, 2010 12:51 am

username99 has the two best comments in this thread.

MPeterson

Postby MPeterson » Mon Nov 29, 2010 1:03 am

This was literally my first score on a practice LSAT, and I took it untimed. I ended up scoring a 174, after about two months of preparation taking dozens of old LSATs, so it's definitely possible.

ThundercatsRinnocent

Postby ThundercatsRinnocent » Mon Nov 29, 2010 1:06 am

ahduth wrote:
ThundercatsRinnocent wrote:You need to step your game up, hombre. I'm a sophomore too and I've been pumping out 180s on my PTs with ease. I usually finish with about 5 minutes to spare and make myself some tea.

Was it Nilgiri? God, I've been drinking that stuff by the gallon. These Tamils know their tea.

Nah, just your run of the mill Lipton instant tea.... I'll have to tell my mom to get me some Nilgiri though

username99

Postby username99 » Mon Nov 29, 2010 11:08 am

thecilent wrote:username99 has the two best comments in this thread.

Thanks!

username99

Postby username99 » Mon Nov 29, 2010 11:11 am

HawksJetsFalcons wrote:I guess I don't fit into this thread. My first PT was a 143, and I ended up scoring a 158.

I'm proud of my score BTW.

That's great..congrats! Seriously, it's all about each individual person. You definitely fit in here because it's all a discussion, not a competition. The real competition is in the classroom where the original poster will make mean faces at anyone under a 171. But going up 15 points is a huge achievement and congrats to you!

Postby 005618502 » Mon Nov 29, 2010 11:27 am

username99 wrote:
HawksJetsFalcons wrote:I guess I don't fit into this thread. My first PT was a 143, and I ended up scoring a 158.

I'm proud of my score BTW.

That's great..congrats! Seriously, it's all about each individual person. You definitely fit in here because it's all a discussion, not a competition. The real competition is in the classroom where the original poster will make mean faces at anyone under a 171. But going up 15 points is a huge achievement and congrats to you!

This is true, 15 point increase is huge, congrats

gambelda

Postby gambelda » Mon Nov 29, 2010 1:49 pm

You're a sophmore. Go get laid and spend 3 years figuring out if you might like something better than law. Law right now is not a very open environment with respect to jobs and college is meant for finding yourself. Don't do like me and dive into college under the hard-headed assumption that only business is right for me. Then find that 1 year in the business world nearly pushes you to suicide.

pegger21

Postby pegger21 » Mon Nov 29, 2010 7:11 pm

159 on your first try isn't bad at all. It's really disheartening going into the test the first time with some expectations only to find yourself marking incorrect answer after incorrect answer. In the end though the first test isn't a prediction of what you'll end up with. I scored 156 on my first practice test and took a course before my first real LSAT. I ended up with a 156 for my first official score, that was abysmal and a poor representation of my abilities.

I took the Kaplan course before my second official test, which was a year later, and scored a 172. You're not really going to have a good idea of what your potential is until you learn the methods for the test. If you take a bunch of practice sections and find yourself missing 2-4 after a couple weeks of practice you should be in great shape. The practice sections are great to learn the material but this needs to be buttressed with a number of full tests as well. Most people can answer the easier questions on the LR and RC sections taken individually and with enough time, the difference between being able to answer one question or a section and score well on the entire test is your endurance. It's hard to simulate the environment and stress on your first test day so make sure you have the mental stamina to make it through all 6 sections of the test.

Top 14 schools do give you a great opportunity for work after law school but there are plenty of opportunities elsewhere. The employment prospects for students in the top 10% at a school like Iowa or Illinois are similar to those in the middle range at higher ranked schools. I have an interesting research article that details how school rank, law school gpa, and other factors contribute to income potential as a lawyer, let me know if you want me to send it to you.

Also, you're only a sophomore, chill out. You're going to have plenty of time to worry about law school when you're applying/in law school.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”