Scary LSAT

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
Dbate

Scary LSAT

Postby Dbate » Sun Nov 28, 2010 3:27 am

For a rough evaluation, I recently took a practice LSAT and my score was literally terrible. I scored an abysmal 159. Currently, I am a sophomore in college and I wanted to take it to identify the lowest possible score I could receive and that score almost makes me want to reconsider law as a career path--because I have read several times that if you don't get into a T14 your employment prospects are dismal.

Did anyone else have a similar score at this point in their university experience? And is it possible to improve to a 170+ by the end of junior year, which is--I think--the appropriate time to take the LSAT?

Also, for those who aced the LSAT, do you think that a LSAT course would be the best preparation for the test or would a book and self study be sufficient? Thanks!!!

glitched

Re: Scary LSAT

Postby glitched » Sun Nov 28, 2010 3:37 am

Dbate wrote:For a rough evaluation, I recently took a practice LSAT and my score was literally terrible. I scored an abysmal 159.

Be careful saying stuff like this... it might really offend someone who studied and ended with a score like that. And for your FIRST practice test, it's not that bad. I scored 160 on my first PT and i ended up with a 170. I was getting around 175 on my last PTs before my test though. So I mean seriously CHILL doode.

Grizz

Postby Grizz » Sun Nov 28, 2010 3:42 am

leeronalda wrote:
Dbate wrote:For a rough evaluation, I recently took a practice LSAT and my score was literally terrible. I scored an abysmal 159.

Be careful saying stuff like this... it might really offend someone who studied and ended with a score like that. And for your FIRST practice test, it's not that bad. I scored 160 on my first PT and i ended up with a 170. I was getting around 175 on my last PTs before my test though. So I mean seriously CHILL doode.

Haven't been around here long?

Srsly OP, you're a sophomore, keep your GPA up, party hard, get laid, and practice before it comes time to take the test for real.

Dbate

Postby Dbate » Sun Nov 28, 2010 3:44 am

leeronalda wrote:

Oh sorry, I really did not mean to offend at all. Looking through this forum it seemed as if the overall distribution was skewed toward the higher end of the spectrum, so i didn't even think that some people may have been offended. I apologize. Your eventual success does give me some hope that I can do better. If you don't mind me asking, did you take a prep course or study independently?

calilaw

Postby calilaw » Sun Nov 28, 2010 3:45 am

relax. I bet a majority of people on this site - which is overly representative of high-scoring test-takers - scored lower than that on their first try.

I scored a 156, and ended up with a 170 (after preparing for only 3 months, including taking a course). I could probably bump that up to the mid-170's, but with my GPA I can probably get into some T14's which I'm perfectly happy with.

Basically, don't worry about it. your initial score is not very indicative of where you'll end up, assuming you prepare adequately.

Dbate

Postby Dbate » Sun Nov 28, 2010 3:48 am

calilaw wrote:relax. I bet a majority of people on this site - which is overly representative of high-scoring test-takers - scored lower than that on their first try.

I scored a 156, and ended up with a 170 (after preparing for only 3 months, including taking a course). I could probably bump that up to the mid-170's, but with my GPA I can probably get into some T14's which I'm perfectly happy with.

Basically, don't worry about it. your initial score is not very indicative of where you'll end up, assuming you prepare adequately.

Was the 156 score immediately prior to the prep course or taken a while before? I ask because I assume that due to college I will naturally improve my test taking abilities, so I am wondered if I should plan on taking a prep course eventually. And to assure people that I am not neurotic, I took the test now because I read a study that showed that philosophy majors performed well on the LSAT. So I took the test now to determine the extent I would have to improve to get admitted to a favorable school and whether or not I should take Philosophy classes to boost my logical reasoning skills.

joemoviebuff

Postby joemoviebuff » Sun Nov 28, 2010 3:54 am

Like most tests, you need to study for the LSAT. You will get what you put into it. A 159 cold isn't bad. I had a 155 diagnostic and ended up with a 170 on the actual thing. You have plenty of time. Once you're a senior or something, grab the Powerscore Bibles and a ton of official preptests and study your ass off. In the meantime, as Rad suggested, the best thing to do is get laid and get good grades in your classes.

calilaw

Postby calilaw » Sun Nov 28, 2010 3:55 am

That score was shortly before taking the course, but without any preparation whatsoever. I'm not sure how well college courses/tests will alter your LSAT-taking ability - it's an interesting idea. But honestly, I don't think any final I've ever taken can compare with the LSAT. Maybe over time you'll become more focused/disciplined in test-taking situations?

ArchRoark

Postby ArchRoark » Sun Nov 28, 2010 4:05 am

I scored a 159 as a cold diagnostic, ended up with a 177. If you study hard, you can substantially improve your score.

floppymex

Postby floppymex » Sun Nov 28, 2010 4:09 am

-
Last edited by floppymex on Mon Sep 28, 2015 5:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

birdlaw117

Postby birdlaw117 » Sun Nov 28, 2010 4:14 am

Dbate wrote:
calilaw wrote:relax. I bet a majority of people on this site - which is overly representative of high-scoring test-takers - scored lower than that on their first try.

Was the 156 score immediately prior to the prep course or taken a while before? I ask because I assume that due to college I will naturally improve my test taking abilities, so I am wondered if I should plan on taking a prep course eventually. And to assure people that I am not neurotic, I took the test now because I read a study that showed that philosophy majors performed well on the LSAT. So I took the test now to determine the extent I would have to improve to get admitted to a favorable school and whether or not I should take Philosophy classes to boost my logical reasoning skills.

I'm pretty sure that argument does nothing for saying that you are not neurotic. However, I would suggest taking philosophy courses, or really any course that involves reading and understanding complicated texts. Also, read things like The Economist or WSJ in your free time.

Along the lines of what everyone else has said, a cold diagnostic really says nothing about where you will score. The LSAT is a learnable test. If you put the hours in and you're efficient with your studying, you'll be able to rock it. If you let the neurotic side of you obsess about studying for the LSAT (like what I did), you'll make some good improvements and do well on the test.

Curry

Postby Curry » Sun Nov 28, 2010 4:23 am

I scored a 159 on my first diagnostic and I already knew about sufficient necessary conditions and was familiar with how to solve some of the games. Ended up with a 173. Its possible.

motiontodismiss

Postby motiontodismiss » Sun Nov 28, 2010 6:14 am

I scored a 155. It's no big deal. 15-20 points is not uncommon on TLS.

CanadianWolf

Postby CanadianWolf » Sun Nov 28, 2010 9:26 am

A score of 159 on a truly cold diagnostic LSAT is outstanding. With serious preparation, you should be able to achieve a score in the 170s.

ahduth

Postby ahduth » Sun Nov 28, 2010 9:26 am

birdlaw117 wrote:I'm pretty sure that argument does nothing for saying that you are not neurotic. However, I would suggest taking philosophy courses, or really any course that involves reading and understanding complicated texts. Also, read things like The Economist or WSJ in your free time.

Yeah, the biggest thing this person could do to improve their LSAT score is get laid, but somehow I get the sense that's going to be tougher than taking practice LSATs. I scored a 161 with three months of studying and two thousand dollars worth of prep tests, but at least my blood pressure's doing aight.

Also, have you read the WSJ lately? Is it just my massive anti-Murdoch bias, or is it turning into total rubbish? This whole "use the Journal as a vehicle against the NY Times" angle was cute in a pulp business thriller kind of way, but it's pretty disappointing in practice. They used to have some of the best business coverage around, and now it's just turning into tripe for the "lol I reads about business" crowd, aka these people scoring 159 on their scary LSATs.

But generally speaking - choosing your major, and thereby dedicated roughly three years of your educational career, on the basis of what will help you get the best score on the LSAT? Best decision you'll ever make. The LSAT will be the pinnacle of your undergraduate experience, so make the most of it.

Dbate

Postby Dbate » Sun Nov 28, 2010 2:51 pm

motiontodismiss wrote:I scored a 155. It's no big deal. 15-20 points is not uncommon on TLS.

Do people generally take prep courses for the LSAT? Also, is it really easy to increase by 15-20 points? That seems like a substantial increase.

When do people typically take the LSAT and do extracurriculars matter, as they do in college admissions? I am rather ignorant of the process so I would appreciate any help/advice.

motiontodismiss

Postby motiontodismiss » Sun Nov 28, 2010 2:53 pm

Dbate wrote:
motiontodismiss wrote:I scored a 155. It's no big deal. 15-20 points is not uncommon on TLS.

Do people generally take prep courses for the LSAT? Also, is it really easy to increase by 15-20 points? That seems like a substantial increase.

When do people typically take the LSAT and do extracurriculars matter, as they do in college admissions? I am rather ignorant of the process so I would appreciate any help/advice.

Yes they do. It's not easy, but it's known to happen.

And the general consensus is that softs don't matter.

justadude55

Postby justadude55 » Sun Nov 28, 2010 2:57 pm

a 159 is a very strong first test. anything under a 170 would be a disappointment. if you're at a 159 starting, a course may be a waste depending on where u lost u points.

Dbate

Postby Dbate » Sun Nov 28, 2010 2:59 pm

justadude55 wrote:a 159 is a very strong first test. anything under a 170 would be a disappointment. if you're at a 159 starting, a course may be a waste depending on where u lost u points.

I lost the majority of the points on the games section. I only missed one out of the one's I answered, but I didn't finish and left 8 of them blank. A similar thing happened on one of the logic (I think that's what it is called) sections. I left the last four blank and missed 3 out of the ones I answered.

Curry

Postby Curry » Sun Nov 28, 2010 3:08 pm

Dbate wrote:
justadude55 wrote:a 159 is a very strong first test. anything under a 170 would be a disappointment. if you're at a 159 starting, a course may be a waste depending on where u lost u points.

I lost the majority of the points on the games section. I only missed one out of the one's I answered, but I didn't finish and left 8 of them blank. A similar thing happened on one of the logic (I think that's what it is called) sections. I left the last four blank and missed 3 out of the ones I answered.

You're in great shape. The games are the easiest to learn. Pick up a copy of the power score Logic Games and Logical Reasoning bibles and start working. There is no excuse for you not to score in the 170's. The ball is in your court.

D-ROCCA

Postby D-ROCCA » Sun Nov 28, 2010 3:26 pm

You're fishing for compliments. Don't be a douche. Study hard and you'll break 170.

canuck

Postby canuck » Sun Nov 28, 2010 3:29 pm

OP is without question the kind of person I would never care to have a beer with.

ahduth

Postby ahduth » Sun Nov 28, 2010 3:32 pm

D-ROCCA wrote:You're fishing for compliments. Don't be a douche.

Wrong about the fishing for compliments. This guy didn't need to drink the TLS kool-aid, he was born with it in his veins. He knows his life is over if he's not 178+ on PTs by the time he's a junior.

Right about him being a douche though. See above regarding TLS kool-aid in veins.

He should fit right in once he gets the hang of making snide remarks about the lower portion of the T14.

D-ROCCA

Postby D-ROCCA » Sun Nov 28, 2010 3:34 pm

canuck wrote:OP is without question the kind of person I would never care to have a beer with.

Just another future gunner, lying in wait. His moment to shine will come.

justadude55

Postby justadude55 » Sun Nov 28, 2010 3:38 pm

OP, if you're at a 159 with struggling on games, i would suggest a course or a tutor if you have the money. if not, u can practice, practice, practice but this is a part of the test where a few classes or sessions with the right instructor can speed up your improvement. i can say from experience that i started with the same score, and after a 1 hour session with a tutor, shot up to a 167 (following a bit of practice) all from games. i did better on my actual LSAT than this, but this was the bulk of my score improvement and it came literally 2 weeks later. i think i was naturally strong at games, and just didn't approach them properly but a 159 while struggling with games puts 180 into play if u study daily with a lot of discipline.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”