.

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
stilles
Posts: 93
Joined: Sun Nov 28, 2010 12:15 am

.

Postby stilles » Sun Nov 28, 2010 12:21 am

.
Last edited by stilles on Wed Dec 21, 2011 6:45 am, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
NU_Jet55
Posts: 977
Joined: Fri Dec 11, 2009 6:54 pm

Re: Does coming from a poor/poverty stricken background help?

Postby NU_Jet55 » Sun Nov 28, 2010 12:25 am

170/3.5/above average softs will give you a shot at the bottom of the T14

whymeohgodno
Posts: 2508
Joined: Mon Jul 19, 2010 8:15 pm

Re: Does coming from a poor/poverty stricken background help?

Postby whymeohgodno » Sun Nov 28, 2010 12:31 am

Not really. Not enough to make up for your numbers anyways. Aim for 170+. With a 170 you can get in to some t14's (UVA, NW with WE, Georgetown), but a 169 or anything below 170 will lock you out.

User avatar
Grizz
Posts: 10583
Joined: Mon Jan 04, 2010 6:31 pm

Re: Does coming from a poor/poverty stricken background help?

Postby Grizz » Sun Nov 28, 2010 12:31 am

Come back with an LSAT score. No one can make predict for you without that.

09042014
Posts: 18282
Joined: Wed Oct 14, 2009 10:47 pm

Re: Does coming from a poor/poverty stricken background help?

Postby 09042014 » Sun Nov 28, 2010 12:32 am

stilles wrote:1st time poster and this forum has invaluable advice.

I'm a non-URM who has come from a very poor background (moved from motel to motel when younger). I was able to graduate from a top 25 school with a 3.5 GPA in poli sci. I'm pting in the 170-175 range, and have decent softs, do I have a chance at top 3?

If not, which T14 schools give the most need based merit?


No shot at HYS or Boalt. Columbia is probably out too unless you rock the LSAT.

User avatar
moopness
Posts: 310
Joined: Fri Jul 16, 2010 8:56 pm

Re: Does coming from a poor/poverty stricken background help?

Postby moopness » Sun Nov 28, 2010 12:48 am

I'm going to diverge from the crowd here and say you're not locked out of YHS, but that's only if a lot of things fall into place. You need 178+ to outweigh your GPA (that is, show that you're smarter than your GPA). While this would get you into Columbia, this still won't be enough to push you into YHS. For that, you'd need to write a masterpiece of a personal statement. Honestly, people say that the PS is worth little, if anything, in the application review, but that's only because the medium isn't being used to its fullest. The PS is the one opportunity you have to talk directly to the adcom, and that can be powerful if used correctly. Problem is that it's far easier said than done. GL

User avatar
Grizz
Posts: 10583
Joined: Mon Jan 04, 2010 6:31 pm

Re: Does coming from a poor/poverty stricken background help?

Postby Grizz » Sun Nov 28, 2010 12:49 am

moopness wrote:Honestly, people say that the PS is worth little, if anything, in the application review, but that's only because the medium isn't being used to its fullest.


It's because most people don't really have anything extraordinary or terribly interesting to say that hasn't been said plenty of times by others.

HTH

whymeohgodno
Posts: 2508
Joined: Mon Jul 19, 2010 8:15 pm

Re: Does coming from a poor/poverty stricken background help?

Postby whymeohgodno » Sun Nov 28, 2010 12:51 am

moopness wrote:I'm going to diverge from the crowd here and say you're not locked out of YHS, but that's only if a lot of things fall into place. You need 178+ to outweigh your GPA (that is, show that you're smarter than your GPA). While this would get you into Columbia, this still won't be enough to push you into YHS. For that, you'd need to write a masterpiece of a personal statement. Honestly, people say that the PS is worth little, if anything, in the application review, but that's only because the medium isn't being used to its fullest. The PS is the one opportunity you have to talk directly to the adcom, and that can be powerful if used correctly. Problem is that it's far easier said than done. GL


While he may sneak into Harvard with a 178+ there is absolutely no way he is getting into Stanford with that gpa.

bdubs
Posts: 3729
Joined: Sat Feb 06, 2010 2:23 pm

Re: Does coming from a poor/poverty stricken background help?

Postby bdubs » Sun Nov 28, 2010 12:54 am

stilles wrote:1st time poster and this forum has invaluable advice.

I'm a non-URM who has come from a very poor background (moved from motel to motel when younger). I was able to graduate from a top 25 school with a 3.5 GPA in poli sci. I'm pting in the 170-175 range, and have decent softs, do I have a chance at top 3?

If not, which T14 schools give the most need based merit?


I don't think anyone answered your original question. Yes, I think coming from a disadvantaged background can help. I would incorporate it into a compelling DS.

The T14 which would give the most merit aid to someone with your potential stats is probably Michigan, but a compelling DS or PS could generate substantial merit aid at a number of schools in the T4-14.

Almost no chance of YHS.

User avatar
moopness
Posts: 310
Joined: Fri Jul 16, 2010 8:56 pm

Re: Does coming from a poor/poverty stricken background help?

Postby moopness » Sun Nov 28, 2010 12:55 am

rad law wrote:
moopness wrote:Honestly, people say that the PS is worth little, if anything, in the application review, but that's only because the medium isn't being used to its fullest.


It's because most people don't really have anything extraordinary or terribly interesting to say that hasn't been said plenty of times by others.

HTH


It's not what you have to say, but how you say it.
HTH

User avatar
NU_Jet55
Posts: 977
Joined: Fri Dec 11, 2009 6:54 pm

Re: Does coming from a poor/poverty stricken background help?

Postby NU_Jet55 » Sun Nov 28, 2010 12:55 am

rad law wrote:
moopness wrote:Honestly, people say that the PS is worth little, if anything, in the application review, but that's only because the medium isn't being used to its fullest.


It's because most people don't really have anything extraordinary or terribly interesting to say that hasn't been said plenty of times by others.

HTH


TITCR

User avatar
NU_Jet55
Posts: 977
Joined: Fri Dec 11, 2009 6:54 pm

Re: Does coming from a poor/poverty stricken background help?

Postby NU_Jet55 » Sun Nov 28, 2010 12:56 am

moopness wrote:It's not what you have to say, but how you say it.
HTH


QFGFS

User avatar
Grizz
Posts: 10583
Joined: Mon Jan 04, 2010 6:31 pm

Re: Does coming from a poor/poverty stricken background help?

Postby Grizz » Sun Nov 28, 2010 12:57 am

moopness wrote:
rad law wrote:
moopness wrote:Honestly, people say that the PS is worth little, if anything, in the application review, but that's only because the medium isn't being used to its fullest.


It's because most people don't really have anything extraordinary or terribly interesting to say that hasn't been said plenty of times by others.

HTH


It's not what you have to say, but how you say it.
HTH


Not when most people don't really have anything extraordinary or terribly interesting to say that hasn't been said plenty of times by others.

User avatar
moopness
Posts: 310
Joined: Fri Jul 16, 2010 8:56 pm

Re: Does coming from a poor/poverty stricken background help?

Postby moopness » Sun Nov 28, 2010 12:59 am

rad law wrote:
moopness wrote:
rad law wrote:
moopness wrote:Honestly, people say that the PS is worth little, if anything, in the application review, but that's only because the medium isn't being used to its fullest.


It's because most people don't really have anything extraordinary or terribly interesting to say that hasn't been said plenty of times by others.

HTH


It's not what you have to say, but how you say it.
HTH


Not when most people don't really have anything extraordinary or terribly interesting to say that hasn't been said plenty of times by others.

When the majority of personal statements are utter crap, then yea, it does matter.

09042014
Posts: 18282
Joined: Wed Oct 14, 2009 10:47 pm

Re: Does coming from a poor/poverty stricken background help?

Postby 09042014 » Sun Nov 28, 2010 1:01 am

Personal statements don't matter.

User avatar
moopness
Posts: 310
Joined: Fri Jul 16, 2010 8:56 pm

Re: Does coming from a poor/poverty stricken background help?

Postby moopness » Sun Nov 28, 2010 1:01 am

Desert Fox wrote:Personal statements don't matter.

Ah, the authority has spoken. Time to shut it down.

User avatar
NU_Jet55
Posts: 977
Joined: Fri Dec 11, 2009 6:54 pm

Re: Does coming from a poor/poverty stricken background help?

Postby NU_Jet55 » Sun Nov 28, 2010 1:02 am

moopness wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:Personal statements don't matter.

Ah, the authority has spoken. Time to shut it down.


I love 0L's.

whymeohgodno
Posts: 2508
Joined: Mon Jul 19, 2010 8:15 pm

Re: Does coming from a poor/poverty stricken background help?

Postby whymeohgodno » Sun Nov 28, 2010 1:03 am

Desert Fox wrote:Personal statements don't matter.


It's very easy to write your way out of a school, while it's nearly impossible to write your way into one.

User avatar
Grizz
Posts: 10583
Joined: Mon Jan 04, 2010 6:31 pm

Re: Does coming from a poor/poverty stricken background help?

Postby Grizz » Sun Nov 28, 2010 1:04 am

NU_Jet55 wrote:
moopness wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:Personal statements don't matter.

Ah, the authority has spoken. Time to shut it down.


I love 0L's.


3 months of law school has given me SO MUCH EXTRA KNOWLEDGEEEEE

User avatar
moopness
Posts: 310
Joined: Fri Jul 16, 2010 8:56 pm

Re: Does coming from a poor/poverty stricken background help?

Postby moopness » Sun Nov 28, 2010 1:07 am

NU_Jet55 wrote:
moopness wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:Personal statements don't matter.

Ah, the authority has spoken. Time to shut it down.


I love 0L's.

--ImageRemoved--


whymeohgodno wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:Personal statements don't matter.


It's very easy to write your way out of a school, while it's nearly impossible to write your way into one.

titcr. While it's nearly impossible, it's not impossible. That's all I'm saying. Likely? God no. But possible? There's always that sliver.

User avatar
ahduth
Posts: 2468
Joined: Wed Sep 29, 2010 10:55 am

Re: Does coming from a poor/poverty stricken background help?

Postby ahduth » Sun Nov 28, 2010 1:11 am

stilles wrote:1st time poster and this forum has invaluable advice.


You're obviously confusing this forum with some other website. Any other website actually.

stilles wrote:I'm a non-URM who has come from a very poor background (moved from motel to motel when younger). I was able to graduate from a top 25 school with a 3.5 GPA in poli sci. I'm pting in the 170-175 range, and have decent softs, do I have a chance at top 3?

If not, which T14 schools give the most need based merit?


It's not really going to help you terribly much, but it is a great personal statement topic. To figure out what your odds on merit money are, I'd take your GPA and your LSAT score and run it through LSN - see what kind of money various people got. Someone more informed than me probably has information on which T14 schools actually give out more or less money in a more general sense.

User avatar
NU_Jet55
Posts: 977
Joined: Fri Dec 11, 2009 6:54 pm

Re: Does coming from a poor/poverty stricken background help?

Postby NU_Jet55 » Sun Nov 28, 2010 1:13 am

moopness wrote:While it's nearly impossible, it's not impossible. That's all I'm saying. Likely? God no. But possible? There's always that sliver.


http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KX5jNnDMfxA

User avatar
Adjudicator
Posts: 1108
Joined: Fri Jul 23, 2010 4:18 am

Re: Does coming from a poor/poverty stricken background help?

Postby Adjudicator » Sun Nov 28, 2010 1:28 am

NU_Jet55 wrote:
moopness wrote:While it's nearly impossible, it's not impossible. That's all I'm saying. Likely? God no. But possible? There's always that sliver.


http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KX5jNnDMfxA



:) Well played!

User avatar
moopness
Posts: 310
Joined: Fri Jul 16, 2010 8:56 pm

Re: Does coming from a poor/poverty stricken background help?

Postby moopness » Sun Nov 28, 2010 1:39 am

NU_Jet55 wrote:
moopness wrote:While it's nearly impossible, it's not impossible. That's all I'm saying. Likely? God no. But possible? There's always that sliver.


http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KX5jNnDMfxA


I'm taking it that you don't gamble? You know what, never mind, you're absolutely right. Let's just tell the guy that there is absolutely nothing he can do to get into YHS. Let's not even bother telling the guy what he'd need to do to build as strong an app as possible, what areas to focus on to maximize his chances at getting in. I mean, no one's ever beaten the odds and gotten into a school that they had no chance at, and certainly no one has ever won the lottery.

09042014
Posts: 18282
Joined: Wed Oct 14, 2009 10:47 pm

Re: Does coming from a poor/poverty stricken background help?

Postby 09042014 » Sun Nov 28, 2010 1:41 am

moopness wrote:
NU_Jet55 wrote:
moopness wrote:While it's nearly impossible, it's not impossible. That's all I'm saying. Likely? God no. But possible? There's always that sliver.


http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KX5jNnDMfxA


I'm taking it that you don't gamble? You know what, never mind, you're absolutely right. Let's just tell the guy that there is absolutely nothing he can do to get into YHS. Let's not even bother telling the guy what he'd need to do to build as strong an app as possible, what areas to focus on to maximize his chances at getting in. I mean, no one's ever beaten the odds and gotten into a school that they had no chance at, and certainly no one has ever won the lottery.


There is nothing this guy can do to get YHS.




Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: BobBoblaw and 4 guests