Summer Advice

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
Dbate

Summer Advice

Postby Dbate » Sun Nov 28, 2010 12:15 am

Hi y'all, I'm an undergrad interested in obtaining some semblance of legal exposure during the summer. Currently, I am a sophomore and I have looked into a number of firms to identify whether or not they have summer internships for undergraduates, and thus far few seem to have them. Surprisingly, the attorney general's office for the District of Columbia offers a summer internship that is voluntary, but given that I need money--like practically everyone else--I would prefer to find positions that offer a modicum of compensation.

Does anyone have any advice regarding your summer experience during undergraduate years? Or any anecdotes relating to your summer internships that were tangentially related to the law?

D-ROCCA

Re: Summer Advice

Postby D-ROCCA » Sun Nov 28, 2010 12:18 am

Apply for government agency internships, congressional internships (for committees, not personal offices), White House, etc. All these gov't agencies and the like are full of lawyers who went to top schools and have prestigious jobs. Also, you might look into working for a state or local court. Finally, try landing a summer paralegal gig.

Dbate

Postby Dbate » Sun Nov 28, 2010 3:22 am

Thanks! I look into that, do you happen to know if any of those are paid?

jbarl1

Postby jbarl1 » Sun Nov 28, 2010 3:27 am

Dbate wrote:Thanks! I look into that, do you happen to know if any of those are paid?

A lot of law students will work for free this summer, so if you really want the experience, you may need to be prepared to do the same.

MrKappus

Postby MrKappus » Sun Nov 28, 2010 3:31 am

"Hi Dbate. 2010 American economy here. You're an undergrad w/ no marketable skills. Nice to meet you. Although you've clearly never heard of me before, we'll be meeting soon enough and seeing a lot more of each other. Until then, I'd suggest you adjust your expectations. You'll be a lot happier."

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”