Are merit offers always sent with acceptance letters?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
Frankie55

Are merit offers always sent with acceptance letters?

Postby Frankie55 » Sat Nov 27, 2010 3:25 pm

Or can they come later in the cycle? Somewhat surprised by the "inconsistency" schools I am/am not getting $$ from. Talking about the T14/slightly lower. Information re: people's experiences with specific schools is appreciated. Thanks.

IAFG

Re: Are merit offers always sent with acceptance letters?

Postby IAFG » Sat Nov 27, 2010 3:28 pm

i got my GULC $ about 9 days before the seat deposit deadline, and my NU offer 24 hours after my GULC offer. you could be in for a long wait.

Frankie55

Postby Frankie55 » Sat Nov 27, 2010 3:31 pm

Wooooow. Scary. Thanks for the info, though.

I can offer that Duke asked for supplemental materials. Other than that it's been either in the acceptance letter, or received no mention.

IAFG

Postby IAFG » Sat Nov 27, 2010 3:35 pm

my advice: keep the schools who have not offered you anything briefed on the other offers you're getting (I only got my NU offer by virtue of my GULC leverage) and NEVER EVER WITHDRAW. TLS will tell you to withdraw. people will beg you to. they'll say things like, "you got into Columbia, you're never going to go to Cornell, withdraw, out of kindness to those of us waiting to get into Cornell!"

ignore them. if i'd withdrawn from GULC when i realized i wasn't going to go, i would be paying sticker.

OGR3

Postby OGR3 » Sat Nov 27, 2010 3:37 pm

Many times, schools don't send merit offers at all, even if your numbers would suggest getting money.

They'll often just send the acceptance and hope you'll attend at sticker. Sometimes it works, I know a guy in my year at Pitt who's paying sticker and scored a 170 on the LSAT.

I would suggest waiting a couple weeks, and if you haven't heard anything, just send a letter stating your interest in the school and mentioning that cost is a significant factor in making your decision. It certainly helps to have scholarship offers from other schools. I know there's a couple threads on here that give a great walkthrough of the process.

Frankie55

Postby Frankie55 » Sat Nov 27, 2010 3:39 pm

Thanks for the advice, guys. Links to threads re: politely asking for money would be appreciated--I've tried the search and seemingly fail at it. If I may ask, IAFG, was the GULC offer pretty significant?
Last edited by Frankie55 on Sat Nov 27, 2010 3:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

IAFG

Postby IAFG » Sat Nov 27, 2010 3:40 pm

Frankie55 wrote:Thanks for the advice, guys. I'll certainly look for those threads. If I may ask, IAFG, was the GULC offer pretty significant?

there's a link to my cycle in my profile

canuck

Postby canuck » Sat Nov 27, 2010 3:41 pm

Frankie55 wrote:Thanks for the advice, guys. I'll certainly look for those threads. If I may ask, IAFG, was the GULC offer pretty significant?

If you find a solid thread post it here please

Frankie55

Postby Frankie55 » Sat Nov 27, 2010 3:43 pm

IAFG wrote:

there's a link to my cycle in my profile

D'oh. I always forget about that feature. Thanks again.

canuck wrote:

If you find a solid thread post it here please

Will do. Still searching. I'm sure something to the effect of what OGR3 said plus a polite, understated "I have been offered X from X school" should suffice.

OGR3

Postby OGR3 » Sat Nov 27, 2010 3:46 pm

This is the thread I found most helpful in negotiating aid:

viewtopic.php?f=22&t=79373

I was able to parlay almost no $ anywhere into significant funds at most of the schools which accepted me.

Frankie55

Postby Frankie55 » Sat Nov 27, 2010 3:47 pm

Perfect. Silly me for not seeing that section. Thanks.

dakatz

Postby dakatz » Sat Nov 27, 2010 3:48 pm

No, they don't always give merit money with the acceptance letter. Some schools do. Some schools send it a week or 2 later. Then you have schools with completely dumb systems like BC who can't even confirm for you at any point whether or not you are getting something, so you have to wait until the deposit deadline before you can be sure.

vanwinkle

Postby vanwinkle » Sat Nov 27, 2010 4:01 pm

UVA gives some merit aid with the acceptance, but the bulk of it goes out in March. It was funny for me because my letter from UVA arrived at home while I was away at the UVA ASW, and had to have my sister read it to me to find out they gave me a scholarship.

IAFG wrote:my advice: keep the schools who have not offered you anything briefed on the other offers you're getting (I only got my NU offer by virtue of my GULC leverage) and NEVER EVER WITHDRAW. TLS will tell you to withdraw. people will beg you to. they'll say things like, "you got into Columbia, you're never going to go to Cornell, withdraw, out of kindness to those of us waiting to get into Cornell!"

The TLS wisdom I'd agree with is to withdraw from a school you know you wouldn't attend no matter what aid you get. Holding open 10-15 offers is a little ridiculous when you know you're really only considering the top 4 or 5. But if you're holding out for a scholarship, and you really would go there if they gave you enough money (or it's the one you're holding open for leverage), of course it makes sense to wait.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”