LSN, and the letter N next to applicants

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
NJcollegestudent

LSN, and the letter N next to applicants

Postby NJcollegestudent » Sat Nov 27, 2010 12:50 am

What does the "N" next to the applicants name mean? I have tried to figure this out and what it means, however, still it is eluding me.

Sauer Grapes

Re: LSN, and the letter N next to applicants

Postby Sauer Grapes » Sat Nov 27, 2010 12:54 am

NJcollegestudent wrote:What does the "N" next to the applicants name mean? I have tried to figure this out and what it means, however, still it is eluding me.

Non-traditional applicant.

txadv11

Postby txadv11 » Sat Nov 27, 2010 1:38 am

I take this to usually mean someone who is older (like 40+), has an already established career, or has a defining reason not to be considered a typical applicant.

Sauer Grapes

Postby Sauer Grapes » Sun Nov 28, 2010 7:07 pm

txadv11 wrote:I take this to usually mean someone who is older (like 40+), has an already established career, or has a defining reason not to be considered a typical applicant.

I think most people view being out of UG for 4+ years as well as having a family, and/or a career as being sufficient to be a non-trad applicant.

True, there are varying degrees of non-traditionalism, and there are many articles stating that the average age of a law student has been slowly increasing for a while.

Lwoods

Postby Lwoods » Mon Nov 29, 2010 7:59 am

Sauer Grapes wrote:
txadv11 wrote:I take this to usually mean someone who is older (like 40+), has an already established career, or has a defining reason not to be considered a typical applicant.

I think most people view being out of UG for 4+ years as well as having a family, and/or a career as being sufficient to be a non-trad applicant.

True, there are varying degrees of non-traditionalism, and there are many articles stating that the average age of a law student has been slowly increasing for a while.

This is why I put the N there (4+ years out, married with a career), but it feels a bit like a stretch because I'm not that old. :wink:
I still see people who label themselves that way while in undergrad, though... sometimes their profile indicates that they're in the military, which I suppose makes sense, but others aren't clear.

krad

Postby krad » Mon Nov 29, 2010 5:52 pm

Haha :lol: it took me forever to realize what the N meant as well! Smart, I know.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”