Law School Predictor

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
NJcollegestudent

Law School Predictor

Postby NJcollegestudent » Fri Nov 26, 2010 6:26 pm

I saw something in another thread previously that left me wondering. Is there percentage chance the odds of you getting in, say like 57% percent chance, or rather that 57% of applicants had the same numbers and got in?

camelcrema

Re: Law School Predictor

Postby camelcrema » Fri Nov 26, 2010 6:32 pm

http://www.hourumd.com

uses LSN data, I believe.

jdstl

Postby jdstl » Fri Nov 26, 2010 6:52 pm

On LSP the percentage is not your chance of getting in, but rather the percentile of their class you're in based on their admissions index (either the one they explicitly use or one derived from regression analysis from LSN). So 57% means you're in the 57th percentile of their average class. The verbal categories (Admit, Strong Consider, etc.) express your actual chances of getting in.

The methodology section on their homepage gives the underlying percentages (Admit, for instance, means you have an 87% chance to get in).

I tend to think that Law School Predictor is far better than hourumd, it's simply built on a much more sophisticated statistical model.

IAFG

Postby IAFG » Fri Nov 26, 2010 7:01 pm

It seems like you could do away with all of this by looking at medians. Below both --> unlikely. Above GPA --> possible with above-25th LSAT. At or above LSAT --> decent chance. Above both --> likely admit.

NJcollegestudent

Postby NJcollegestudent » Fri Nov 26, 2010 7:03 pm

Thank you for the response.

The reason i chose the 57 percent, is as that is what it lists me at within a certain school.

I should take it to mean this then:

my numbers are better than 57 percent of admits and worse than 43 percent of admits?

I just saw the last post, and it is remarkable how a few points on gpa and LSAT matter.

YCrevolution

Postby YCrevolution » Sat Nov 27, 2010 12:58 am

NJcollegestudent

Postby NJcollegestudent » Sat Nov 27, 2010 1:03 am

YCrevolution wrote:
NJcollegestudent wrote:Thank you for the response.

The reason i chose the 57 percent, is as that is what it lists me at within a certain school.

I should take it to mean this then:

my numbers are better than 57 percent of admits and worse than 43 percent of admits?

I just saw the last post, and it is remarkable how a few points on gpa and LSAT matter.

For LSP, 57% means that your index score would be roughly in the top 43rd-percentile of matriculant class's (most recent USNWR data) index scores.

Thank you for explaining that to me, as this is for my top choice school.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”