Criminal Record and Law School

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
edubs003

Criminal Record and Law School

Postby edubs003 » Fri Nov 26, 2010 5:00 am

I want people to read my personal statement and tell me what you think. I don't want to be looked down on for having a criminal record but after reading several posts with similar situations, I thought my statement could use some opinions. I've already applied to schools with this statement. I'm not what you would consider a "good" applicant. My life went to shit in 09' (2010 is way better!), my GPA isn't good (3.0), and my LSAT is disappointing compared to what I was scoring in PT. PM me if you want more info. Thanks for the responses in advance.

Edit:
Last edited by edubs003 on Sat Nov 27, 2010 1:39 pm, edited 2 times in total.

2Serious4Numbers

Re: Criminal Record and Law School

Postby 2Serious4Numbers » Fri Nov 26, 2010 8:43 am

Although this is more addendum-worthy material, you should have followed PS ~rule 4 "never paint yourself in a negative light" -- it doesn't have to be shooting stars and rainbows but this is just doesn't make you look like a solid candidate IMHO. Talk about another experience (legal internship, emotional/life experience, anything that's more consistent with other PS these guys read) you want to be a unique snowflake, but not for this.

RPK34

Postby RPK34 » Fri Nov 26, 2010 8:54 am

In my opinion, scrap the whole thing. Pick another topic.

TommyK

Postby TommyK » Fri Nov 26, 2010 10:13 am

A little off-topic here, but are you confident you would be able to be admitted to the bar, should you get into law school and subsequently graduate and pass the exam?

northwood

Postby northwood » Fri Nov 26, 2010 11:03 am

Scrap it. While the theme of overcoming substance abuse is good, your essay sheds negative light on you. Write an addendum explaining your past and jail time. Use the PS to talk about a positive accomplishment. While overcoming alcohol addiction is a tremendous accomplishment, the fact taht you had to go to jail, and the nature of your charges would put some serious doubt in the admissions officers mind.

edubs003

Postby edubs003 » Fri Nov 26, 2010 12:29 pm

TommyK wrote:A little off-topic here, but are you confident you would be able to be admitted to the bar, should you get into law school and subsequently graduate and pass the exam?

I don't really know. I was going to wait until I'm accepted somewhere and then look or contact the state bar.

Also, I've contacted a couple state bars in my area and they seem to give me the same answer, "its a case by case basis and we really can't let you know until you apply to sit for the bar." I'll probably contact an attorney if I get in anywhere.
Last edited by edubs003 on Fri Nov 26, 2010 12:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

edubs003

Postby edubs003 » Fri Nov 26, 2010 12:32 pm

northwood wrote:Scrap it. While the theme of overcoming substance abuse is good, your essay sheds negative light on you. Write an addendum explaining your past and jail time. Use the PS to talk about a positive accomplishment. While overcoming alcohol addiction is a tremendous accomplishment, the fact taht you had to go to jail, and the nature of your charges would put some serious doubt in the admissions officers mind.

I guess I don't really see the negative light you're talking about. I went to jail, changed my whole lifestyle, quit drinking, went back to school and kicked ass/gave back through community service. What's the negative light? Yes, I understand that going to jail is not such a good thing to write about but as I wrote in my statement, it was the catalyst that started all of these changes.

IAFG

Postby IAFG » Fri Nov 26, 2010 12:38 pm

Law schools are not going to admit you unless they think it is likely you will pass character and fitness. An unapologetic convicted rapist is probably not going to get through.

edubs003

Postby edubs003 » Fri Nov 26, 2010 12:41 pm

IAFG wrote:Law schools are not going to admit you unless they think it is likely you will pass character and fitness. An unapologetic convicted rapist is probably not going to get through.

Well that's not what I was convicted of, check the state statutes. Also, did you even read my PS?

IAFG

Postby IAFG » Fri Nov 26, 2010 12:45 pm

edubs003 wrote:
IAFG wrote:Law schools are not going to admit you unless they think it is likely you will pass character and fitness. An unapologetic convicted rapist is probably not going to get through.

Well that's not what I was convicted of, check the state statutes. Also, did you even read my PS?

I did, and I actually think you're a good writer. I still think you won't pass.

edubs003

Postby edubs003 » Fri Nov 26, 2010 12:54 pm

IAFG wrote:
edubs003 wrote:

Well thanks. I've worried about not passing the character and fitness. I'm just waiting to see if I even get in anywhere. I guess we'll find out soon enough. I don't think it makes much sense to deny me admission but If I can't pass the C&F, then there's no point. Of course I'm not a good candidate but I have heard that people have been admitted with worse. Also, I would be sitting in front of the C&F 5+ years after the conviction.

AsianCurveKiller

Postby AsianCurveKiller » Fri Nov 26, 2010 1:06 pm

edubs003 wrote:
IAFG wrote:
edubs003 wrote:

Well thanks. I've worried about not passing the character and fitness. I'm just waiting to see if I even get in anywhere. I guess we'll find out soon enough. I don't think it makes much sense to deny me admission but If I can't pass the C&F, then there's no point. Of course I'm not a good candidate but I have heard that people have been admitted with worse. Also, I would be sitting in front of the C&F 5+ years after the conviction.

This is a good PS. If you are being truthful about the charges, then it tells a great story.

People have done a lot worse than sexual battery and been admitted to the bar. No doubt you will have trouble, but with five years and a clean record behind you it will probably be okay. Like you said, it is imperative to talk to the state bar where you plan on practicing law.Besides, most lawyers (and the vast majority of professors) at least implicitly believe the justice system and prosecutors in particular are massively corrupt.

eliekedourie

Postby eliekedourie » Fri Nov 26, 2010 9:16 pm

AsianCurveKiller wrote:
This is a good PS. If you are being truthful about the charges, then it tells a great story.

People have done a lot worse than sexual battery and been admitted to the bar. No doubt you will have trouble, but with five years and a clean record behind you it will probably be okay. Like you said, it is imperative to talk to the state bar where you plan on practicing law.Besides, most lawyers (and the vast majority of professors) at least implicitly believe the justice system and prosecutors in particular are massively corrupt.

You're f'ing kidding right?

edubs003

Postby edubs003 » Fri Nov 26, 2010 9:24 pm

eliekedourie wrote:
AsianCurveKiller wrote:

You're f'ing kidding right?

About which part?

eliekedourie

Postby eliekedourie » Fri Nov 26, 2010 9:27 pm

"Besides, most lawyers (and the vast majority of professors) at least implicitly believe the justice system and prosecutors in particular are massively corrupt."

Sorry. Not trying to bum you out. I'm fairly ignorant about your situation in particular and how it'll play out in C&F. This poster, however, is talking out of his a**.

edubs003

Postby edubs003 » Fri Nov 26, 2010 9:44 pm

eliekedourie wrote:"Besides, most lawyers (and the vast majority of professors) at least implicitly believe the justice system and prosecutors in particular are massively corrupt."

Sorry. Not trying to bum you out. I'm fairly ignorant about your situation in particular and how it'll play out in C&F. This poster, however, is talking out of his a**.

Yeah I don't know how it will play out either. It just really sucks because this one incident could derail everything. Like I said, I'll have about 5+ years since the conviction if I do sit for the bar.

justadude55

Postby justadude55 » Fri Nov 26, 2010 9:45 pm

i don't get it. they framed you for sexual battery. why you, and why anybody? what did she have to gain? it was like a 1st date.

edubs003

Postby edubs003 » Fri Nov 26, 2010 9:50 pm

justadude55 wrote:i don't get it. they framed you for sexual battery. why you, and why anybody? what did she have to gain? it was like a 1st date.

There's much more to it but I don't want to get into specifics. It was poorly investigated, my bail was raised after I was already bailed out, she was dating a cop at the time (I had no clue), she lied and said we never slept with each other before that night, and the list can go on. She had been raped her whole life by a stepbrother, abused by her husband, and eventually it all fell on me. It was like I was a scapegoat for her whole life.

justadude55

Postby justadude55 » Fri Nov 26, 2010 9:52 pm

if this is all true, why don't you sue the police department? it sounds like they were grossly negligent in a way that damaged the quality of both your present and future. if you sued and woman, and had the conviction overturned, you would have no bar issues whatsoever.

EDIT: At any rate, this is a terrible PS, because it does the opposite of what a good PS should do - help you get in. if i read this, i'd think hmmmmmm, our students getting sexually battered....that sounds like something that might be bad. let me lightly reject this person so they don't pull a joran van der sleuth at our school.

edubs003

Postby edubs003 » Fri Nov 26, 2010 9:59 pm

justadude55 wrote:if this is all true, why don't you sue the police department? it sounds like they were grossly negligent in a way that damaged the quality of both your present and future. if you sued and woman, and had the conviction overturned, you would have no bar issues whatsoever.

I pled guilty. I don't think I can sue anyone now. Also, I hired a PI but that didn't mean shit to the court.

justadude55

Postby justadude55 » Fri Nov 26, 2010 9:59 pm

IAFG wrote:
edubs003 wrote:

to play devil's advocate, what does being a sexual batter/rapist have to do with being a good lawyer? can't you argue that a lawyer who lies on his taxes is more inclined to be a dishonest lawyer?

TommyK

Postby TommyK » Fri Nov 26, 2010 10:00 pm

I don't think the PS is a bad idea. It's not like they won't know about the conviction if he doesn't bring it up. I think it's kind of compelling. But the point is probably moot...

I just also don't think he has a shot even if his PS is about him curing cancer.

His gpa is low, low lsat, and sexual assault conviction. I'm not sure I'd want to go to any school willing to accept me with those three strikes.

justadude55

Postby justadude55 » Fri Nov 26, 2010 10:01 pm

edubs003 wrote:
justadude55 wrote:if this is all true, why don't you sue the police department? it sounds like they were grossly negligent in a way that damaged the quality of both your present and future. if you sued and woman, and had the conviction overturned, you would have no bar issues whatsoever.

I pled guilty. I don't think I can sue anyone now. Also, I hired a PI but that didn't mean shit to the court.

i'm confused. just because a woman wanted to sleep with u once does not give u access to her whenever. if that was the case, with the attractiveness of some of the women ive been with, i can assure you i would not be writing this right now.

justadude55

Postby justadude55 » Fri Nov 26, 2010 10:02 pm

TommyK wrote:I don't think the PS is a bad idea. It's not like they won't know about the conviction if he doesn't bring it up. I think it's kind of compelling. But the point is probably moot...

I just also don't think he has a shot even if his PS is about him curing cancer.

His gpa is low, low lsat, and sexual assault conviction. I'm not sure I'd want to go to any school willing to accept me with those three strikes.

well a good LSAT score can change anything. if u break 170, ull get into a tier 1 somewhere. they'll just take out a bigger insurance policy on the female body.

edubs003

Postby edubs003 » Fri Nov 26, 2010 10:02 pm

EDIT: At any rate, this is a terrible PS, because it does the opposite of what a good PS should do - help you get in. if i read this, i'd think hmmmmmm, our students getting sexually battered....that sounds like something that might be bad. let me lightly reject this person so they don't pull a joran van der sleuth at our school.

I've had people tell me it's good, and people have told me it's bad. I don't really know what the adcom will think but I hope it's the opposite.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”