Should I apply to more reaches/which ones?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
JenDarby

Should I apply to more reaches/which ones?

Postby JenDarby » Fri Nov 26, 2010 4:53 am

I can't bring myself to look at any more numbers to try and sway myself one way or the other as far as if its realistic/worth it to apply to some t-14 reaches.

So far I have applied to:
UCLA
USC
Boston University
Boston College
Cornell
Notre Dame
Loyola LA
William and Mary

Aside from Cornell and BC, I had fee waivers to all of them. Are there are t-14 schools I actually have a realistic chance at that would be worth paying app fees for? I'm really just looking for any opinions as I can't decide at this point.....
Last edited by JenDarby on Wed Aug 10, 2011 4:37 am, edited 1 time in total.

Grizz

Re: Should I apply to more reaches/which ones?

Postby Grizz » Fri Nov 26, 2010 5:07 am

Out at T14s, but maybe throw some apps to UT and Vandy. Vandy is unlikely, but Texas might just maybe happen.

concurrent fork

Postby concurrent fork » Fri Nov 26, 2010 12:13 pm

NU and GULC are worth the app fee IMO.

ahduth

Postby ahduth » Fri Nov 26, 2010 12:15 pm

concurrent fork wrote:NU and GULC are worth the app fee IMO.

+1 to NU with 4 years WE, depending on what it is I suppose.

beachbum

Postby beachbum » Fri Nov 26, 2010 12:54 pm

rad law wrote:Out at T14s, but maybe throw some apps to UT and Vandy. Vandy is unlikely, but Texas might just maybe happen.

+1

dreakol

Postby dreakol » Fri Nov 26, 2010 2:33 pm

I have numbers similar to you and sent out applications to the bottom half of the T-14

however, I only did this because i was granted fee waivers from most of them (Duke, NW, Virginia, GULC, Penn, Michigan, Etc).

If they grant you a fee waiver, the chance of getting extremely lucky is worth 12 bucks.

cortnf

Postby cortnf » Fri Nov 26, 2010 6:25 pm

ahduth wrote:
concurrent fork wrote:NU and GULC are worth the app fee IMO.

+1 to NU with 4 years WE, depending on what it is I suppose.

+1

JenDarby

Postby JenDarby » Fri Nov 26, 2010 9:51 pm

I didn't get fee waivers for any of them, or I would risk the $12 for each!
Last edited by JenDarby on Wed Aug 10, 2011 4:36 am, edited 1 time in total.

im_blue

Postby im_blue » Sat Nov 27, 2010 7:03 pm

Cornell is your only shot at the T14. I'd add schools like Fordham, UT, WUSTL, Minnesota, and Illinois (free app!) for possible scholarship leverage.

whymeohgodno

Postby whymeohgodno » Sat Nov 27, 2010 7:40 pm

Add Texas for sure. Maybe Vanderbilt also.

JenDarby

Postby JenDarby » Sun Nov 28, 2010 10:05 pm

Fordham shot me down for a fee waiver, I can't decide if they are worth the app price. I will be applying to Cornell today though, as well as some scattered schools in the 20/30s I have fee waivers to.

applepiecrust

Postby applepiecrust » Mon Dec 20, 2010 3:02 pm

You could try Michigan? I got in with almost identical numbers (.02 higher GPA) but I was ED.

You could also try EDing UVA if finances are not a consideration. Or ED round 2 at Duke.

Cornell could work (again, I got in with the same numbers).

Grizz

Postby Grizz » Mon Dec 20, 2010 3:11 pm

applepiecrust wrote:You could try Michigan? I got in with almost identical numbers (.02 higher GPA) but I was ED.

You could also try EDing UVA if finances are not a consideration. Or ED round 2 at Duke.

ED UVA isn't gonna work. Below both medians.

applepiecrust

Postby applepiecrust » Mon Dec 20, 2010 3:14 pm

rad law wrote:
applepiecrust wrote:You could try Michigan? I got in with almost identical numbers (.02 higher GPA) but I was ED.

ED UVA isn't gonna work. Below both medians.

You're right. According to LSN, Michigan seems to be OP's best bet in the T14 after Cornell. Worth a shot.

Also, OP, is your LSAT 169 or 168? It says 168 here but 169 on profile.

JenDarby

Postby JenDarby » Mon Dec 20, 2010 3:57 pm

It's 168. I have decided to just see how this cycle goes, I am going to retake in either Feb or June, as I seriously underperformed in Oct as far as how I PT'ed on about 45 tests (driving 60 miles at 7am the morning of my birthday to get to the site, after celebrating the night before might not have been the most ideal situation). If my increase is minimal, or non existent, I will stick with what I have so far this year, but if it's substantial I will probably reapply first thing next cycle. If I am really shooting high, I'd like to have some chance at money, which right now I recognize I don't.

Ratchet Jackson

Postby Ratchet Jackson » Mon Dec 20, 2010 4:03 pm

JenDarby wrote:It's 168. I have decided to just see how this cycle goes, I am going to retake in either Feb or June, as I seriously underperformed in Oct as far as how I PT'ed on about 45 tests (driving 60 miles at 7am the morning of my birthday to get to the site, after celebrating the night before might not have been the most ideal situation). If my increase is minimal, or non existent, I will stick with what I have so far this year, but if it's substantial I will probably reapply first thing next cycle. If I am really shooting high, I'd like to have some chance at money, which right now I recognize I don't.

Sounds like a good plan. Feel your cycle out and if waiting a year won't be too detrimental to you, then by all means you should. A 170+ will open new doors for you next cycle. A 173+ could be a game changer. A little word of advice, no drinking/partying the night before Feb/June LSAT exam haha. You can get out of control afterwards, though.

JenDarby

Postby JenDarby » Mon Dec 20, 2010 4:07 pm

RJ127 wrote:
JenDarby wrote:It's 168. I have decided to just see how this cycle goes, I am going to retake in either Feb or June, as I seriously underperformed in Oct as far as how I PT'ed on about 45 tests (driving 60 miles at 7am the morning of my birthday to get to the site, after celebrating the night before might not have been the most ideal situation). If my increase is minimal, or non existent, I will stick with what I have so far this year, but if it's substantial I will probably reapply first thing next cycle. If I am really shooting high, I'd like to have some chance at money, which right now I recognize I don't.

Sounds like a good plan. Feel your cycle out and if waiting a year won't be too detrimental to you, then by all means you should. A 170+ will open new doors for you next cycle. A 173+ could be a game changer. A little word of advice, no drinking/partying the night before Feb/June LSAT exam haha. You can get out of control afterwards, though.

Ha yea, this same thing happened to me in HS when I took the SATs on my birthday, can't they just pick a different date than oct. 9th?! Fortunately in HS it didn't affect my results. Oh well, hopefully this cycle goes well. If not hopefully I do well enough to leverage some money at schools, or start all over next year.

Ratchet Jackson

Postby Ratchet Jackson » Mon Dec 20, 2010 4:14 pm

JenDarby wrote:
RJ127 wrote:

Ha yea, this same thing happened to me in HS when I took the SATs on my birthday, can't they just pick a different date than oct. 9th?! Fortunately in HS it didn't affect my results. Oh well, hopefully this cycle goes well. If not hopefully I do well enough to leverage some money at schools, or start all over next year.

Haha yeah, my birthday was the weekend before the Oct LSAT so I had to take it easy. Sending positive vibes your way for your cycle, fellow libra.

applepiecrust

Postby applepiecrust » Mon Dec 20, 2010 5:32 pm

Yeah, I am retaking in February too, but it's more just ego satisfaction (I KNOW a 168 is not representative of my abilities) since I am committed to Michigan and thrilled about it.

Good luck!

CanadianWolf

Postby CanadianWolf » Mon Dec 20, 2010 5:38 pm

You may be underestimating the value of your work experience.

JenDarby

Postby JenDarby » Mon Dec 20, 2010 5:41 pm

CanadianWolf wrote:You may be underestimating the value of your work experience.

Oh? How much do you think I might be underestimating it?

I did end up applying to UT a few weeks ago as well.

CanadianWolf

Postby CanadianWolf » Mon Dec 20, 2010 5:48 pm

It's difficult to predict--especially this late in the application cycle. Unfortunately, the best answer is to apply to the bottom half of the Top 14 & wait for the results. Your application should receive a serious read as you are unlikely to fall into either the auto-admit or auto-reject piles.

dextermorgan

Postby dextermorgan » Mon Dec 20, 2010 6:11 pm

Cornell and NU are your best shots at T-14. GULC would be a long shot IMO.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”