Should I apply to more reaches/which ones?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
User avatar
JenDarby
Posts: 13327
Joined: Wed Oct 20, 2010 3:02 am

Should I apply to more reaches/which ones?

Postby JenDarby » Fri Nov 26, 2010 4:53 am

I can't bring myself to look at any more numbers to try and sway myself one way or the other as far as if its realistic/worth it to apply to some t-14 reaches.

So far I have applied to:
UCLA
USC
Boston University
Boston College
Cornell
Notre Dame
Loyola LA
William and Mary


Aside from Cornell and BC, I had fee waivers to all of them. Are there are t-14 schools I actually have a realistic chance at that would be worth paying app fees for? I'm really just looking for any opinions as I can't decide at this point.....
Last edited by JenDarby on Wed Aug 10, 2011 4:37 am, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Grizz
Posts: 10583
Joined: Mon Jan 04, 2010 6:31 pm

Re: Should I apply to more reaches/which ones?

Postby Grizz » Fri Nov 26, 2010 5:07 am

Out at T14s, but maybe throw some apps to UT and Vandy. Vandy is unlikely, but Texas might just maybe happen.

concurrent fork
Posts: 669
Joined: Sun Mar 21, 2010 9:40 am

Re: Should I apply to more reaches/which ones?

Postby concurrent fork » Fri Nov 26, 2010 12:13 pm

NU and GULC are worth the app fee IMO.

User avatar
ahduth
Posts: 2468
Joined: Wed Sep 29, 2010 10:55 am

Re: Should I apply to more reaches/which ones?

Postby ahduth » Fri Nov 26, 2010 12:15 pm

concurrent fork wrote:NU and GULC are worth the app fee IMO.


+1 to NU with 4 years WE, depending on what it is I suppose.

User avatar
beachbum
Posts: 2766
Joined: Tue Jun 29, 2010 9:35 pm

Re: Should I apply to more reaches/which ones?

Postby beachbum » Fri Nov 26, 2010 12:54 pm

rad law wrote:Out at T14s, but maybe throw some apps to UT and Vandy. Vandy is unlikely, but Texas might just maybe happen.


+1

dreakol
Posts: 572
Joined: Sat Nov 13, 2010 1:56 pm

Re: Should I apply to more reaches/which ones?

Postby dreakol » Fri Nov 26, 2010 2:33 pm

I have numbers similar to you and sent out applications to the bottom half of the T-14

however, I only did this because i was granted fee waivers from most of them (Duke, NW, Virginia, GULC, Penn, Michigan, Etc).

If they grant you a fee waiver, the chance of getting extremely lucky is worth 12 bucks.

User avatar
cortnf
Posts: 127
Joined: Sat Oct 09, 2010 10:13 pm

Re: Should I apply to more reaches/which ones?

Postby cortnf » Fri Nov 26, 2010 6:25 pm

ahduth wrote:
concurrent fork wrote:NU and GULC are worth the app fee IMO.


+1 to NU with 4 years WE, depending on what it is I suppose.


+1

User avatar
JenDarby
Posts: 13327
Joined: Wed Oct 20, 2010 3:02 am

Re: Should I apply to more reaches/which ones?

Postby JenDarby » Fri Nov 26, 2010 9:51 pm

I didn't get fee waivers for any of them, or I would risk the $12 for each!
Last edited by JenDarby on Wed Aug 10, 2011 4:36 am, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
im_blue
Posts: 3276
Joined: Sun Apr 12, 2009 3:53 am

Re: Should I apply to more reaches/which ones?

Postby im_blue » Sat Nov 27, 2010 7:03 pm

Cornell is your only shot at the T14. I'd add schools like Fordham, UT, WUSTL, Minnesota, and Illinois (free app!) for possible scholarship leverage.

whymeohgodno
Posts: 2508
Joined: Mon Jul 19, 2010 8:15 pm

Re: Should I apply to more reaches/which ones?

Postby whymeohgodno » Sat Nov 27, 2010 7:40 pm

Add Texas for sure. Maybe Vanderbilt also.

User avatar
JenDarby
Posts: 13327
Joined: Wed Oct 20, 2010 3:02 am

Re: Should I apply to more reaches/which ones?

Postby JenDarby » Sun Nov 28, 2010 10:05 pm

Fordham shot me down for a fee waiver, I can't decide if they are worth the app price. I will be applying to Cornell today though, as well as some scattered schools in the 20/30s I have fee waivers to.

User avatar
applepiecrust
Posts: 476
Joined: Sat Jun 12, 2010 11:38 am

Re: Should I apply to more reaches/which ones?

Postby applepiecrust » Mon Dec 20, 2010 3:02 pm

You could try Michigan? I got in with almost identical numbers (.02 higher GPA) but I was ED.

You could also try EDing UVA if finances are not a consideration. Or ED round 2 at Duke.

Cornell could work (again, I got in with the same numbers).

User avatar
Grizz
Posts: 10583
Joined: Mon Jan 04, 2010 6:31 pm

Re: Should I apply to more reaches/which ones?

Postby Grizz » Mon Dec 20, 2010 3:11 pm

applepiecrust wrote:You could try Michigan? I got in with almost identical numbers (.02 higher GPA) but I was ED.

You could also try EDing UVA if finances are not a consideration. Or ED round 2 at Duke.

Cornell could work (again, I got in with the same numbers).


ED UVA isn't gonna work. Below both medians.

User avatar
applepiecrust
Posts: 476
Joined: Sat Jun 12, 2010 11:38 am

Re: Should I apply to more reaches/which ones?

Postby applepiecrust » Mon Dec 20, 2010 3:14 pm

rad law wrote:
applepiecrust wrote:You could try Michigan? I got in with almost identical numbers (.02 higher GPA) but I was ED.

You could also try EDing UVA if finances are not a consideration. Or ED round 2 at Duke.

Cornell could work (again, I got in with the same numbers).


ED UVA isn't gonna work. Below both medians.



You're right. According to LSN, Michigan seems to be OP's best bet in the T14 after Cornell. Worth a shot.

Also, OP, is your LSAT 169 or 168? It says 168 here but 169 on profile.

User avatar
JenDarby
Posts: 13327
Joined: Wed Oct 20, 2010 3:02 am

Re: Should I apply to more reaches/which ones?

Postby JenDarby » Mon Dec 20, 2010 3:57 pm

It's 168. I have decided to just see how this cycle goes, I am going to retake in either Feb or June, as I seriously underperformed in Oct as far as how I PT'ed on about 45 tests (driving 60 miles at 7am the morning of my birthday to get to the site, after celebrating the night before might not have been the most ideal situation). If my increase is minimal, or non existent, I will stick with what I have so far this year, but if it's substantial I will probably reapply first thing next cycle. If I am really shooting high, I'd like to have some chance at money, which right now I recognize I don't.

User avatar
Ratchet Jackson
Posts: 2703
Joined: Wed Nov 17, 2010 6:41 pm

Re: Should I apply to more reaches/which ones?

Postby Ratchet Jackson » Mon Dec 20, 2010 4:03 pm

JenDarby wrote:It's 168. I have decided to just see how this cycle goes, I am going to retake in either Feb or June, as I seriously underperformed in Oct as far as how I PT'ed on about 45 tests (driving 60 miles at 7am the morning of my birthday to get to the site, after celebrating the night before might not have been the most ideal situation). If my increase is minimal, or non existent, I will stick with what I have so far this year, but if it's substantial I will probably reapply first thing next cycle. If I am really shooting high, I'd like to have some chance at money, which right now I recognize I don't.


Sounds like a good plan. Feel your cycle out and if waiting a year won't be too detrimental to you, then by all means you should. A 170+ will open new doors for you next cycle. A 173+ could be a game changer. A little word of advice, no drinking/partying the night before Feb/June LSAT exam haha. You can get out of control afterwards, though.

User avatar
JenDarby
Posts: 13327
Joined: Wed Oct 20, 2010 3:02 am

Re: Should I apply to more reaches/which ones?

Postby JenDarby » Mon Dec 20, 2010 4:07 pm

RJ127 wrote:
JenDarby wrote:It's 168. I have decided to just see how this cycle goes, I am going to retake in either Feb or June, as I seriously underperformed in Oct as far as how I PT'ed on about 45 tests (driving 60 miles at 7am the morning of my birthday to get to the site, after celebrating the night before might not have been the most ideal situation). If my increase is minimal, or non existent, I will stick with what I have so far this year, but if it's substantial I will probably reapply first thing next cycle. If I am really shooting high, I'd like to have some chance at money, which right now I recognize I don't.


Sounds like a good plan. Feel your cycle out and if waiting a year won't be too detrimental to you, then by all means you should. A 170+ will open new doors for you next cycle. A 173+ could be a game changer. A little word of advice, no drinking/partying the night before Feb/June LSAT exam haha. You can get out of control afterwards, though.


Ha yea, this same thing happened to me in HS when I took the SATs on my birthday, can't they just pick a different date than oct. 9th?! Fortunately in HS it didn't affect my results. Oh well, hopefully this cycle goes well. If not hopefully I do well enough to leverage some money at schools, or start all over next year.

User avatar
Ratchet Jackson
Posts: 2703
Joined: Wed Nov 17, 2010 6:41 pm

Re: Should I apply to more reaches/which ones?

Postby Ratchet Jackson » Mon Dec 20, 2010 4:14 pm

JenDarby wrote:
RJ127 wrote:
JenDarby wrote:It's 168. I have decided to just see how this cycle goes, I am going to retake in either Feb or June, as I seriously underperformed in Oct as far as how I PT'ed on about 45 tests (driving 60 miles at 7am the morning of my birthday to get to the site, after celebrating the night before might not have been the most ideal situation). If my increase is minimal, or non existent, I will stick with what I have so far this year, but if it's substantial I will probably reapply first thing next cycle. If I am really shooting high, I'd like to have some chance at money, which right now I recognize I don't.


Sounds like a good plan. Feel your cycle out and if waiting a year won't be too detrimental to you, then by all means you should. A 170+ will open new doors for you next cycle. A 173+ could be a game changer. A little word of advice, no drinking/partying the night before Feb/June LSAT exam haha. You can get out of control afterwards, though.


Ha yea, this same thing happened to me in HS when I took the SATs on my birthday, can't they just pick a different date than oct. 9th?! Fortunately in HS it didn't affect my results. Oh well, hopefully this cycle goes well. If not hopefully I do well enough to leverage some money at schools, or start all over next year.


Haha yeah, my birthday was the weekend before the Oct LSAT so I had to take it easy. Sending positive vibes your way for your cycle, fellow libra.

User avatar
applepiecrust
Posts: 476
Joined: Sat Jun 12, 2010 11:38 am

Re: Should I apply to more reaches/which ones?

Postby applepiecrust » Mon Dec 20, 2010 5:32 pm

JenDarby wrote:It's 168. I have decided to just see how this cycle goes, I am going to retake in either Feb or June, as I seriously underperformed in Oct as far as how I PT'ed on about 45 tests (driving 60 miles at 7am the morning of my birthday to get to the site, after celebrating the night before might not have been the most ideal situation). If my increase is minimal, or non existent, I will stick with what I have so far this year, but if it's substantial I will probably reapply first thing next cycle. If I am really shooting high, I'd like to have some chance at money, which right now I recognize I don't.


Yeah, I am retaking in February too, but it's more just ego satisfaction (I KNOW a 168 is not representative of my abilities) since I am committed to Michigan and thrilled about it.

Good luck!

CanadianWolf
Posts: 10439
Joined: Wed Mar 24, 2010 4:54 pm

Re: Should I apply to more reaches/which ones?

Postby CanadianWolf » Mon Dec 20, 2010 5:38 pm

You may be underestimating the value of your work experience.

User avatar
JenDarby
Posts: 13327
Joined: Wed Oct 20, 2010 3:02 am

Re: Should I apply to more reaches/which ones?

Postby JenDarby » Mon Dec 20, 2010 5:41 pm

CanadianWolf wrote:You may be underestimating the value of your work experience.


Oh? How much do you think I might be underestimating it?

I did end up applying to UT a few weeks ago as well.

CanadianWolf
Posts: 10439
Joined: Wed Mar 24, 2010 4:54 pm

Re: Should I apply to more reaches/which ones?

Postby CanadianWolf » Mon Dec 20, 2010 5:48 pm

It's difficult to predict--especially this late in the application cycle. Unfortunately, the best answer is to apply to the bottom half of the Top 14 & wait for the results. Your application should receive a serious read as you are unlikely to fall into either the auto-admit or auto-reject piles.

User avatar
dextermorgan
Posts: 1138
Joined: Wed Jul 09, 2008 12:37 am

Re: Should I apply to more reaches/which ones?

Postby dextermorgan » Mon Dec 20, 2010 6:11 pm

Cornell and NU are your best shots at T-14. GULC would be a long shot IMO.




Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot], Dcc617, Yahoo [Bot] and 3 guests