Stanford Personal Statement's length

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
ocean

Stanford Personal Statement's length

Postby ocean » Thu Nov 25, 2010 4:14 pm

When schools limit the maximum length of the PS to be 2 pages, they usually specify it, something like: 1 inch margin, at least 11 font and most importantly, double space.

There is no such specification from Stanford, all it says is two pages. Anyone else notices this?

I think I am gonna send a single space one if this is confirmed.

UPennLaw

Re: Stanford Personal Statement's length

Postby UPennLaw » Thu Nov 25, 2010 4:42 pm

I was under the impression that all PS should be double spaced unless specifically stated otherwise.

ocean

Postby ocean » Thu Nov 25, 2010 5:19 pm

UPennLaw wrote:I was under the impression that all PS should be double spaced unless specifically stated otherwise.

But I have never seen this notion being specifically defined...

Now I am really curious.

eve2490

Postby eve2490 » Thu Nov 25, 2010 7:12 pm

Last edited by eve2490 on Sat Jan 07, 2012 12:35 am, edited 1 time in total.

r6_philly

Postby r6_philly » Thu Nov 25, 2010 9:20 pm

NYU scholarship essay requirement is interesting. It states 1 page, 500-750 words. You cannot fit 500 words onto 1 page double spaced. I end up doing 1.3 spacing for 600 words to fit. I wanted to keep it double spaced, but 500 would run more than 2 pages. Ultimately I felt adhering to the word count and the page count is better than the formatting. Just find it interesting, they obviously expected single space - for the scholarship essays at least.

Gotti

Postby Gotti » Thu Nov 25, 2010 11:35 pm

From their website:

Personal Statement. Enclose a statement of about two pages describing important or unusual aspects of yourself not otherwise apparent in your application

Never ever single space a personal statement. If your essays exceed 2 pages double spaced, you are not being succinct enough. Unless you're writing a PS for Boalt. In that case, they still prefer conciseness...they just give you a 4 page limit.

WestOfTheRest

Postby WestOfTheRest » Thu Nov 25, 2010 11:50 pm

Gotti wrote:From their website:

Personal Statement. Enclose a statement of about two pages describing important or unusual aspects of yourself not otherwise apparent in your application

Never ever single space a personal statement. If your essays exceed 2 pages double spaced, you are not being succinct enough. Unless you're writing a PS for Boalt. In that case, they still prefer conciseness...they just give you a 4 page limit.

Not to mention I got into boalt with 2 pages. If you can't say what you have to say in two pages, you need to get over yourself. You're not a special snowflake, regardless of what grandma says.

ads222

Postby ads222 » Fri Nov 26, 2010 1:55 am

CastleRock wrote:
Gotti wrote:From their website:

Not to mention I got into boalt with 2 pages. If you can't say what you have to say in two pages, you need to get over yourself. You're not a special snowflake, regardless of what grandma says.

+1. I was concerned about the length (or lack thereof) of my Boalt essay, but it wasn't a problem.

OP: don't try to outsmart the admissions office. Poor life decision. I would HATE to read one single-spaced essay, let alone thousands, and I'd want to smack - not admit - the applicants writing them.

Dany

Postby Dany » Fri Nov 26, 2010 2:00 am

I'm just going to +1 double-spacing, which is always TCR re: personal statements.

Also, OP, I love your avatar. :mrgreen: Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Saltqjibo

Postby Saltqjibo » Sat Nov 27, 2010 12:59 am

What do you guys think about possibly sneaking in some 1.9 or 1.8 spacing using a condensed font (garamond)? I did it for some schools who said around 2 pages 11+ etc, just to sneak my PS under (its about 2 pages and 7 lines in times new roman 11pt). Think I'll get a knock against me for it?

Weirdlog

Postby Weirdlog » Sat Nov 27, 2010 11:59 am

Saltqjibo wrote:What do you guys think about possibly sneaking in some 1.9 or 1.8 spacing using a condensed font (garamond)? I did it for some schools who said around 2 pages 11+ etc, just to sneak my PS under (its about 2 pages and 7 lines in times new roman 11pt). Think I'll get a knock against me for it?

Honestly, unless you go egregiously over the limit, I really don't think this will be that big of a deal. I think I did a bit of doctoring to fit my PS on 2 pages and I would be amazed if formatting issues ended up making or breaking your application.

ahduth

Postby ahduth » Sat Nov 27, 2010 12:03 pm

Weirdlog wrote:
Saltqjibo wrote:What do you guys think about possibly sneaking in some 1.9 or 1.8 spacing using a condensed font (garamond)? I did it for some schools who said around 2 pages 11+ etc, just to sneak my PS under (its about 2 pages and 7 lines in times new roman 11pt). Think I'll get a knock against me for it?

Honestly, unless you go egregiously over the limit, I really don't think this will be that big of a deal. I think I did a bit of doctoring to fit my PS on 2 pages and I would be amazed if formatting issues ended up making or breaking your application.

I'm guessing their process is: load up application in Acrobat. Expand/contract all fonts to 11 point. Force double-spacing. Crop application at 1" margins. Print and read.

So as long as you don't lose anything critical during that process, you should be fine.

christinalsat

Postby christinalsat » Thu Dec 02, 2010 1:00 pm

Mine was 750 words. I did double spaced (came out to two pages). I actually didn't notice the one page requirement. Will this hurt me?

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”