Might Have Messed up Early Decision App... Please Help?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
Judge Philip Banks

Might Have Messed up Early Decision App... Please Help?

Postby Judge Philip Banks » Thu Nov 25, 2010 1:21 am

So I think I might have messed up my application for my Early Decision school today. The deadline for applications to go complete is next Wednesday (Dec. 1st), and I submitted my application via LSAC's website this afternoon. The problem is that there is about a 1 week turnaround for the schools to receive the complete application from when LSAC mails everything to the school (according to an admissions person at the school I spoke with today). So ideally that would put me right at the deadline (since today is the Wednesday before the deadline). However, since it is Thanksgiving weekend, my application was surely not sent out today (also, I submitted everything shortly after LSAC's offices closed), and will only first get mailed out on Monday. There is no way that it will make it from Pennsylvania to California in under 2 days... That is my problem... (aside from my waiting until the last minute... so this is ultimately my fault. but I did not know there was a 1 week turnaround from submitting to going complete at the school...)

I spoke with a woman in the admissions office today, and she said to make sure to email the admissions office today explaining the situation (which I did) and to overnight the early decision agreement to their office so it is there before the deadline (which I also did). In their reply to my email, they basically just said to check with them in the beginning of next week to confirm my application is being processed on time and that this will be noted in my file. The woman also told me that I am not the only one who is experiencing this problem this cycle, and that in years past it has worked out alright because they were able to review everything online (maybe "unofficially"?) instead of waiting for the physical application and assorted documents to be received via US mail. But she could not guarantee anything to me, and that she would talk to a supervisor about this situation.

Is there anything I can do to make sure that my application will make it from LSAC's offices to admissions dept. on or before Wednesday? I was planning on calling LSAC Monday morning and seeing if there is anything that can be done, and also calling the admissions people again and asking the same, based on what LSAC tells me. I am really worried that the admissions people will be strict with their deadline and that LSAC will not be accommodating.

Has anyone else been in this situation and can offer advice? Or know of anything that might help? Any advice/commentary is much appreciated. (sorry for this long and probably incoherent post, too. just had to vent and ask for advice I guess...) Thanks TLS.

ShakinNotStirred

Re: Might Have Messed up Early Decision App... Please Help?

Postby ShakinNotStirred » Thu Nov 25, 2010 2:08 am

I think that you are probably fine, because your ED contract & electronic application were received prior to the ED deadline. My experience is limited to one school, but when I applied ED they sent me my decision the day after my electronic application was received (so they definitely hadn't received a hard copy yet). I don't think there is anything you can do to as far as speeding along the hard copy, but again i don't think you need to worry about it.

Judge Philip Banks

Postby Judge Philip Banks » Thu Nov 25, 2010 2:37 am

Yeah, I hear ya. I hope you are right. I know it is a stretch, but I was hoping that I might be able to pay for my application materials being overnighted instead of US mailed. But that is unlikely to happen.

Even though my electronic application and the early decision contract were both received (or will be received) before the deadline, the woman in admissions made it clear that my materials had to be received from LSAC in order for my application to be considered in the early decision pool. However, I am sure she "has" to say these things to cover their bases, because she also made it clear to me that in years past it has worked out, but could not guarantee me anything for this cycle. I hope that both LSAC and the admissions people will work with me and the other early decision applicants on this and not throw us into the regular decision pool. What will people do that apply next week though? People that do not know about the potential one week turnaround between submitting and "going complete"?

lalalawya

Postby lalalawya » Thu Nov 25, 2010 10:15 am

Loyola? If so, from my expeirence thus far, the admissions staff is very helpful. I am sure you are right about the lady having to cover her bases and tell you that all hard materials must be received by the deadline--I would think that they would be willing to make a slight accomodation for people who did not take into account mailing time, because if these said people are accepted through ED, that is one more person who will have to attend while paying sticker. But I really have no authority at all on this matter, so this is just a guess :).

Good luck!

Judge Philip Banks

Postby Judge Philip Banks » Thu Nov 25, 2010 3:29 pm

lalalawya wrote:Loyola? If so, from my expeirence thus far, the admissions staff is very helpful. I am sure you are right about the lady having to cover her bases and tell you that all hard materials must be received by the deadline--I would think that they would be willing to make a slight accomodation for people who did not take into account mailing time, because if these said people are accepted through ED, that is one more person who will have to attend while paying sticker. But I really have no authority at all on this matter, so this is just a guess :).

Good luck!

Yep. I hope you are right... So far this cycle, everyone I've dealt with at LSAC and at schools' admissions departments have been as helpful as possible, so let's just hope the trend continues through next week... :)

Judge Philip Banks

Postby Judge Philip Banks » Fri Nov 26, 2010 2:42 pm

just a little bump... anyone else...?

Judge Philip Banks

Postby Judge Philip Banks » Sun Nov 28, 2010 10:30 pm

So I guess I will be calling LSAC tomorrow morning to find out if anything can be done... Any last minute advice?

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”