2 potentially stupid questions

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
Nailjohnj

2 potentially stupid questions

Postby Nailjohnj » Wed Nov 24, 2010 2:48 pm

20. Has your college, university, graduate, professional or technical school course of study ever been interrupted for one or more terms, for any reason?
D. Has your College or University, Graduate or Professional been interrupted for one or more terms for any reason?

I graduated college 2 years ago and am just now applying to law school. does this type of question apply to me? My studies were never interrupted in college, I was just dealing with some issues that prevented me from going to law school.

Excluding only minor traffic offenses, have you ever been detained, arrested, formally accused, cited, or prosecuted for the violation of any law?

I know this one has been asked before, but I have only been cited for minor traffic violations, with the worst being a careless A driving ticket. Does this one apply to me?

Thanks for the help, everybody!

r6_philly

Re: 2 potentially stupid questions

Postby r6_philly » Wed Nov 24, 2010 2:50 pm

1. No. That's the norm. They want to see disruption before you receive your degree.

2. Careless driving usually is a minor offense. Reckless driving is more serious and a demeanor I think. I wouldn't worry about careless.

northwood

Postby northwood » Wed Nov 24, 2010 2:51 pm

first question- does not apply to you. A lot of law school applicants have been out of undergrad for a year or 2 or more before they apply. It only applies to someone who takes a break before graduating ( major illness, childbirth, etc)

second question- depends on how the school words it. If it says ( including speeding tickets, etc) then yes. If it does not, then you dont have to answer. If you are still confused, call the school and ask.

NZA

Postby NZA » Wed Nov 24, 2010 2:52 pm

Nailjohnj wrote:#1
20. Has your college, university, graduate, professional or technical school course of study ever been interrupted for one or more terms, for any reason?
D. Has your College or University, Graduate or Professional been interrupted for one or more terms for any reason?

I graduated college 2 years ago and am just now applying to law school. does this type of question apply to me? My studies were never interrupted in college, I was just dealing with some issues that prevented me from going to law school.

Excluding only minor traffic offenses, have you ever been detained, arrested, formally accused, cited, or prosecuted for the violation of any law?

I know this one has been asked before, but I have only been cited for minor traffic violations, with the worst being a careless A driving ticket. Does this one apply to me?

Thanks for the help, everybody!

1. No. They're thinking more about things like, "I was too stressed out senior year of college and had a nervous break down and so now I have five withdrawls on my transcripts."

2. Probably not. I think most of the time, they're looking for misdemeanors and felonies. BUT, I don't understand what a "careless A driving ticket" is, so I'd ask the school you're applying to. Couldn't hurt.

Nailjohnj

Postby Nailjohnj » Wed Nov 24, 2010 2:55 pm

Awesome, thanks for the help, everybody

Nailjohnj

Postby Nailjohnj » Wed Nov 24, 2010 3:22 pm

NZA wrote:2. Probably not. I think most of the time, they're looking for misdemeanors and felonies. BUT, I don't understand what a "careless A driving ticket" is, so I'd ask the school you're applying to. Couldn't hurt.

I called an admissions officer and they said that I should disclose everything, even though the application says to exclude minor violations. So that being said, I am going to give them everything and I wanted to know if this will hurt my application. I have been pulled over 6 times, one accident (the careless driving), 2 speeding tickets, 2 operating motor vehicle without license (left my wallet at home both times), a seatbelt violation, and a driving without proof of insurance. All of these violations were at least 5 years ago with the exception of a 5 mile over speeding ticket in July of this year.

Am I screwed or is this question just making sure I haven't gone on a killing spree recently and will be able to pass the bar?

sarahh

Postby sarahh » Wed Nov 24, 2010 3:46 pm

Nailjohnj wrote:
NZA wrote:2. Probably not. I think most of the time, they're looking for misdemeanors and felonies. BUT, I don't understand what a "careless A driving ticket" is, so I'd ask the school you're applying to. Couldn't hurt.

I called an admissions officer and they said that I should disclose everything, even though the application says to exclude minor violations. So that being said, I am going to give them everything and I wanted to know if this will hurt my application. I have been pulled over 6 times, one accident (the careless driving), 2 speeding tickets, 2 operating motor vehicle without license (left my wallet at home both times), a seatbelt violation, and a driving without proof of insurance. All of these violations were at least 5 years ago with the exception of a 5 mile over speeding ticket in July of this year.

Am I screwed or is this question just making sure I haven't gone on a killing spree recently and will be able to pass the bar?

The latter. Just be honest, and you should be okay.

NZA

Postby NZA » Wed Nov 24, 2010 6:38 pm

Nailjohnj wrote:

Nah, they won't care all too much, especially if it was a while back. At least, I can't imagine they would. Good luck! :)

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”