LoR Confidentiality Form

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
postn0bills

LoR Confidentiality Form

Postby postn0bills » Wed Nov 24, 2010 12:59 pm

I've been reading about signing and submitting a specific form to LSAC confirming that I will not be reading the LoRs before they are sent to LSAC... I believe it's some sort of LoR candidness and/or confidentiality form? I'm just wondering where I can find it on the web site. I have only found the individual LoR forms to be sent with each individual letter -- are these the confidentiality forms or is there a separate form? I would appreciate any help with this. Thank you in advance.

QuailMan

Re: LoR Confidentiality Form

Postby QuailMan » Wed Nov 24, 2010 1:57 pm

I think you're just talking about the cover letter you give to each person writing you a LOR. It has a space for you to sign.

im_blue

Postby im_blue » Wed Nov 24, 2010 3:06 pm

That is the form, and btw signing that form only means you give up your right to see the LORs as part of the educational record of whichever law school you attend. It does not say that you promise not to read them - you could still ask your LOR writers for a copy - but whether they are willing to show you is another matter.

goingeast

Postby goingeast » Wed Nov 24, 2010 4:12 pm

postn0bills wrote:I've been reading about signing and submitting a specific form to LSAC confirming that I will not be reading the LoRs before they are sent to LSAC... I believe it's some sort of LoR candidness and/or confidentiality form? I'm just wondering where I can find it on the web site. I have only found the individual LoR forms to be sent with each individual letter -- are these the confidentiality forms or is there a separate form? I would appreciate any help with this. Thank you in advance.

im_blue wrote:That is the form, and btw signing that form only means you give up your right to see the LORs as part of the educational record of whichever law school you attend. It does not say that you promise not to read them - you could still ask your LOR writers for a copy - but whether they are willing to show you is another matter.

This is correct, you are waiving your right to see the letters once you are in fact admitted. There is no confidentiality form to sign, and as a general rule, the people reading your letters will be more likely to feel that your recommender is being completely open, honest, and candid if you have waived your right to see the letters, since they know your recommender is not worried that you might read what they have written.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”