Yale Legacy

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
canuck

Yale Legacy

Postby canuck » Wed Nov 24, 2010 8:58 am

So I have an sibling who attended Yale. She was a PhD student (and later a prof). I realize the application asks for family members from the law school specifically, but do you think my sibling will help me out at all? If so, how should I indicate it to the add comm?

Thanks!

sophia.olive

Re: Yale Legacy

Postby sophia.olive » Wed Nov 24, 2010 9:03 am

no

reasonable_man

Postby reasonable_man » Wed Nov 24, 2010 9:04 am

Just call in to the admissions office and say: " Good sir, I do say that I am planning on taking up a career in the learned profession of the law and have chosen to follow my birthrite, which leads me to this fine university. As I'm sure you know, my blood lines run deep here at Yale, what with many generations of noblemen from my family having attended since the early 1800's and my grandmother's third counsin's aunt's father having recently agreed to take up PHD at the old school. I just wanted to call in to make sure that legacy students, such as myself, are required to take part in the rifraffery of a written application or if such procedures are handled in the more gentlemenly manner of a hand shake over a fine cigar and brandy at the old boys club. Do let me know old chap. Cherio!"

Sinra

Postby Sinra » Wed Nov 24, 2010 9:12 am

canuck wrote:So I have an sibling who attended Yale. She was a PhD student (and later a prof). I realize the application asks for family members from the law school specifically, but do you think my sibling will help me out at all? If so, how should I indicate it to the add comm?

Thanks!

Be like this kid:

http://lawschoolnumbers.com/Fingerscrossed27

And everyone freaks out about URMs. LOL. Something like 20% of Harvard, Yale, Stanford admits are based on pure legacy.

http://thechoice.blogs.nytimes.com/2010/09/23/legacy/

concurrent fork

Postby concurrent fork » Wed Nov 24, 2010 9:32 am

:roll:
Although remember he is "extremely intelligent" according to his LSN profile

canuck

Postby canuck » Wed Nov 24, 2010 9:42 am

concurrent fork wrote:

That is unreal. I'm flabbergasted.
I guess I should have realized TLS would have beef with me suggesting an advantage over them with legacy. I

BrownBears09

Postby BrownBears09 » Wed Nov 24, 2010 10:25 am

Sinra wrote:
canuck wrote:So I have an sibling who attended Yale. She was a PhD student (and later a prof). I realize the application asks for family members from the law school specifically, but do you think my sibling will help me out at all? If so, how should I indicate it to the add comm?

Thanks!

Be like this kid:

http://lawschoolnumbers.com/Fingerscrossed27

And everyone freaks out about URMs. LOL. Something like 20% of Harvard, Yale, Stanford admits are based on pure legacy.

http://thechoice.blogs.nytimes.com/2010/09/23/legacy/

Wait wait wait. Hold on. You're telling me that people sometimes use family connections to obtain otherwise unobtainable goals?

Wow. This is complete news to me.

TTH

Postby TTH » Wed Nov 24, 2010 10:34 am

canuck wrote:
concurrent fork wrote:

I guess I should have realized TLS would have beef with me suggesting an advantage over them with legacy. I

INORITE? It's shocking to think ANYONE could hate on legacies.

Sinra

Postby Sinra » Wed Nov 24, 2010 10:35 am

canuck wrote:
concurrent fork wrote:

I actually think you should do whatever you can to get in. I just remember running across that profile and :roll: . It's just hilarious that basically his entire family works at YLS and they couldn't get him to score higher than a 158? But he's extremely intelligent. At least he's probably been told that his whole life.

paratactical

Postby paratactical » Wed Nov 24, 2010 11:10 am

canuck wrote:That is unreal. I'm flabbergasted.

Yeah. It's totally not because it's fucking retarded to think that just having a sister who went there is enough to be a legacy. Everyone is totes jealous.

HowdyYall

Postby HowdyYall » Wed Nov 24, 2010 11:29 am

Sinra wrote:
canuck wrote:
concurrent fork wrote:

I actually think you should do whatever you can to get in. I just remember running across that profile and :roll: . It's just hilarious that basically his entire family works at YLS and they couldn't get him to score higher than a 158? But he's extremely intelligent. At least he's probably been told that his whole life.

Holy crap, i thought that guy was a made up profile; apparently not (see lowest LSAT score)
http://www.law.yale.edu/admissions/profile.htm

Sinra

Postby Sinra » Wed Nov 24, 2010 11:35 am

HowdyYall wrote:
Holy crap, i thought that guy was a made up profile; apparently not (see lowest LSAT score)

Well, grandad, dad and uncle went there! And uncle is on staff. The gall that they waitlisted him originally.

LockBox

Postby LockBox » Wed Nov 24, 2010 12:17 pm

reasonable_man wrote:Just call in to the admissions office and say: " Good sir, I do say that I am planning on taking up a career in the learned profession of the law and have chosen to follow my birthrite, which leads me to this fine university. As I'm sure you know, my blood lines run deep here at Yale, what with many generations of noblemen from my family having attended since the early 1800's and my grandmother's third counsin's aunt's father having recently agreed to take up PHD at the old school. I just wanted to call in to make sure that legacy students, such as myself, are required to take part in the rifraffery of a written application or if such procedures are handled in the more gentlemenly manner of a hand shake over a fine cigar and brandy at the old boys club. Do let me know old chap. Cherio!"

:lol:

canuck

Postby canuck » Wed Nov 24, 2010 12:18 pm

paratactical wrote:

Yeah. It's totally not because it's fucking retarded to think that just having a sister who went there is enough to be a legacy. Everyone is totes jealous.

I was referring to the dude with the 150s LSAT, not with reactions to myself.

And FYI, it is enough for other parts of the school. I was just asking for clarification about the law school. Your douchiness is, while minimally entertaining, a waste of space.

reasonable_man

Postby reasonable_man » Wed Nov 24, 2010 12:48 pm

canuck wrote:
paratactical wrote:

I was referring to the dude with the 150s LSAT, not with reactions to myself.

And FYI, it is enough for other parts of the school. I was just asking for clarification about the law school. Your douchiness is, while minimally entertaining, a waste of space.

Para's douchieness is an essential element of the fucntionality of TLS. Cosmic forces that you cannot possibly understand are at work here. You're simply not in a position to comment in this regard.

bdubs

Postby bdubs » Wed Nov 24, 2010 1:02 pm

OP: How are you planning to convey this in your application? There is no Yale-general legacy information on the application. You really can't seriously submit a LOR written by your sister. This would be a horrible waste of a 250 and a Why X for Yale seems silly.

You have no way of even telling them this information without sounding like a total prick and adding an addendum saying "My sister went here for her PhD, please let me in."

canuck

Postby canuck » Wed Nov 24, 2010 1:14 pm

bdubs wrote:OP: How are you planning to convey this in your application? There is no Yale-general legacy information on the application. You really can't seriously submit a LOR written by your sister. This would be a horrible waste of a 250 and a Why X for Yale seems silly.

You have no way of even telling them this information without sounding like a total prick and adding an addendum saying "My sister went here for her PhD, please let me in."

Ya I agree. This is the problem. I probably don't have a shot at Yale without a boost though, and it seems like it's worth the $100 to give it a whirl. My sister is going to email her friend who is a Yale Law prof to ask how I should go about it. I realize it's a long shot (I'm working with a 3.9X and 170) but not applying = reject.

bdubs

Postby bdubs » Wed Nov 24, 2010 1:17 pm

canuck wrote:
bdubs wrote:OP: How are you planning to convey this in your application? There is no Yale-general legacy information on the application. You really can't seriously submit a LOR written by your sister. This would be a horrible waste of a 250 and a Why X for Yale seems silly.

Ya I agree. This is the problem. I probably don't have a shot at Yale without a boost though, and it seems like it's worth the $100 to give it a whirl. My sister is going to email her friend who is a Yale Law prof to ask how I should go about it. I realize it's a long shot (I'm working with a 3.9X and 170) but not applying = reject.

Just put together the strongest application you can. The involvement of faculty in Yale's review process should help you out if your sister actually has connections to the LS faculty.

philosoraptor

Postby philosoraptor » Wed Nov 24, 2010 1:20 pm

HowdyYall wrote:Holy crap, i thought that guy was a made up profile; apparently not (see lowest LSAT score)
It's probably made-up -- afaik, Columbia doesn't let undergrads into the J-school, only experienced journalists.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”