Legacyish

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
User avatar
FlanAl
Posts: 1474
Joined: Fri Mar 12, 2010 4:53 pm

Legacyish

Postby FlanAl » Wed Nov 24, 2010 2:28 am

So I recently learned that an ancestor (I say ancestor because this goes back a few generations) of mine is the guy who a certain law school is named after. No one in my family ever went to the law school (or to law school period) but a lot of them went to this school for undergrad. I'd like to maybe put something about this in a "Why X school" essay since before I learned this the school really wasn't on my radar. Quite frankly a big draw to this school would be a fascination with my family history etc.. However I'm really worried that this could be looked at as some kind of a last ditch effort to gain acceptance. Or something like "I'm super distant illegitimate relative of Thomas Jefferson so let me into Uva" type thing (this relative is not that distant and the school isn't Uva). Or that it could come off as some pretentious entitlement move. Really its just the most honest reason of why I'd pick that school over similar ones. And any chance i'd get any kind of a boost? (haha big question saved for last)

thanks for any advice

boyxxx666
Posts: 7
Joined: Sat Nov 20, 2010 5:42 pm

Re: Legacyish

Postby boyxxx666 » Wed Nov 24, 2010 2:36 am

FlanAl wrote:So I recently learned that an ancestor (I say ancestor because this goes back a few generations) of mine is the guy who a certain law school is named after. No one in my family ever went to the law school (or to law school period) but a lot of them went to this school for undergrad. I'd like to maybe put something about this in a "Why X school" essay since before I learned this the school really wasn't on my radar. Quite frankly a big draw to this school would be a fascination with my family history etc.. However I'm really worried that this could be looked at as some kind of a last ditch effort to gain acceptance. Or something like "I'm super distant illegitimate relative of Thomas Jefferson so let me into Uva" type thing (this relative is not that distant and the school isn't Uva). Or that it could come off as some pretentious entitlement move. Really its just the most honest reason of why I'd pick that school over similar ones. And any chance i'd get any kind of a boost? (haha big question saved for last)

thanks for any advice

I was an illegitimate great greatgrandson of william andrews clark of clark hall at UVA ha that you mentioned it at one time he was the 2nd richest man in the usa to John D. Rockefeller ...william bought into the senate then lost his seat and was like 60+ with a 16 yr old wife wow he went to spain where he met my great great grandmother and bang!!Would I use that YOU GODAMNED RIGHT I WOULD!! See these folks can research these things and if true as the great Gov. Blagoyavitch (spelling) said it's F'ing Golden!!!As long as you meet the lsat and gpa levels that generally get people accepted..Whoever u r and whatever the school I hope you get yours!!!

boyxxx666
Posts: 7
Joined: Sat Nov 20, 2010 5:42 pm

Re: Legacyish

Postby boyxxx666 » Wed Nov 24, 2010 2:38 am

FlanAl wrote:So I recently learned that an ancestor (I say ancestor because this goes back a few generations) of mine is the guy who a certain law school is named after. No one in my family ever went to the law school (or to law school period) but a lot of them went to this school for undergrad. I'd like to maybe put something about this in a "Why X school" essay since before I learned this the school really wasn't on my radar. Quite frankly a big draw to this school would be a fascination with my family history etc.. However I'm really worried that this could be looked at as some kind of a last ditch effort to gain acceptance. Or something like "I'm super distant illegitimate relative of Thomas Jefferson so let me into Uva" type thing (this relative is not that distant and the school isn't Uva). Or that it could come off as some pretentious entitlement move. Really its just the most honest reason of why I'd pick that school over similar ones. And any chance i'd get any kind of a boost? (haha big question saved for last)

thanks for any advice

I was an illegitimate great greatgrandson of william andrews clark of clark hall at UVA ha that you mentioned it at one time he was the 2nd richest man in the usa to John D. Rockefeller ...william bought into the senate then lost his seat and was like 60+ with a 16 yr old wife wow he went to spain where he met my great great grandmother and bang!!Would I use that YOU ARE GODDAMNED RIGHT I WOULD!! See these folks can research these things and if true as the great Gov. Blagoyavitch (spelling) said it's F'ing Golden!!!As long as you meet the lsat and gpa levels that generally get people accepted..Whoever u r and whatever the school I hope you get yours!!!

User avatar
FlanAl
Posts: 1474
Joined: Fri Mar 12, 2010 4:53 pm

Re: Legacyish

Postby FlanAl » Wed Nov 24, 2010 2:42 am

how would you go about putting it in your app? would you put it in a "why school X" essay? Are you planning on doing this for Uva this cycle? Thanks for your insight by the way.

User avatar
Pleasye
Posts: 7963
Joined: Sun Mar 14, 2010 4:22 pm

Re: Legacyish

Postby Pleasye » Wed Nov 24, 2010 5:25 am

Pretty sure the only place you should mention legacy is when they ask "did you have any relatives that went to our school?" [ ] yes [ ] no. Unless he donated large sums of money or has a building named after him then it prob doesn't matter.

User avatar
lalalawya
Posts: 321
Joined: Mon Oct 04, 2010 2:34 pm

Re: Legacyish

Postby lalalawya » Wed Nov 24, 2010 11:21 am

LSpleaseee wrote:Pretty sure the only place you should mention legacy is when they ask "did you have any relatives that went to our school?" [ ] yes [ ] no. Unless he donated large sums of money or has a building named after him then it prob doesn't matter.


He says in his OP that the law school is named after him....

OP, I would absolutely mention it in a "why x" essay. I think it would be realistic that one of your interests in the school lies in the fact that it is named after an ancestor. Just out of curiousity, how far extended is this relative?

User avatar
iShotFirst
Posts: 460
Joined: Thu Nov 12, 2009 2:13 am

Re: Legacyish

Postby iShotFirst » Wed Nov 24, 2010 11:24 am

lalalawya wrote:
LSpleaseee wrote:Pretty sure the only place you should mention legacy is when they ask "did you have any relatives that went to our school?" [ ] yes [ ] no. Unless he donated large sums of money or has a building named after him then it prob doesn't matter.


He says in his OP that the law school is named after him....

OP, I would absolutely mention it in a "why x" essay. I think it would be realistic that one of your interests in the school lies in the fact that it is named after an ancestor. Just out of curiousity, how far extended is this relative?


Considering that people write about their BS high school chess club or whatever on their apps, I think the fact that the law school is NAMED AFTER YOUR RELATIVE is a pretty valid point to include. How are you even considering not putting this on there? It's bolstered by the fact that many of your relatives went to undergrad, but you would be the first one to go to the law school --- maybe work that in somehow.

User avatar
FlanAl
Posts: 1474
Joined: Fri Mar 12, 2010 4:53 pm

Re: Legacyish

Postby FlanAl » Wed Nov 24, 2010 12:23 pm

According to the school's website the relative is essentially financially responsible for the school's new/current (built in the 20's) law school building.
I'm pretty sure the relation is my great great great grandfather but I'll need to research it myself and make sure he's not a great great uncle or something. I mean I found out by telling my aunt that I was interested in law school and her response was, "Well have you looked into X? I mean almost everyone in our family went there and one of your relatives pretty much built the law school. They're sure to let you in."
As far as the undergrad goes I know my grandfather, great grandfather and great great grandfather all attended.
So the consensus seems to be to definitely include it in a "why X school" essay. But how much focus should I put on it? Should I make it the whole thing and really play the legacy card. Or just make it a nice little cherry (a very shiny tasty cherry) on top of a nice "your clinics etc." essay.

User avatar
YCrevolution
Posts: 4714
Joined: Sat Oct 25, 2008 1:25 am

Re: Legacyish

Postby YCrevolution » Wed Nov 24, 2010 12:34 pm

..

User avatar
lalalawya
Posts: 321
Joined: Mon Oct 04, 2010 2:34 pm

Re: Legacyish

Postby lalalawya » Wed Nov 24, 2010 12:36 pm

I personally think that the "Why X" statement should be centered on your ridiculously strong ties to the school, while mentioning specific programs that have furthered your interest in the school.

bdubs
Posts: 3729
Joined: Sat Feb 06, 2010 2:23 pm

Re: Legacyish

Postby bdubs » Wed Nov 24, 2010 12:50 pm

YCrevolution wrote:
FlanAl wrote:According to the school's website the relative is essentially financially responsible for the school's new/current (built in the 20's) law school building.
I'm pretty sure the relation is my great great great grandfather but I'll need to research it myself and make sure he's not a great great uncle or something. I mean I found out by telling my aunt that I was interested in law school and her response was, "Well have you looked into X? I mean almost everyone in our family went there and one of your relatives pretty much built the law school. They're sure to let you in."
As far as the undergrad goes I know my grandfather, great grandfather and great great grandfather all attended.
So the consensus seems to be to definitely include it in a "why X school" essay. But how much focus should I put on it? Should I make it the whole thing and really play the legacy card. Or just make it a nice little cherry (a very shiny tasty cherry) on top of a nice "your clinics etc." essay.

A nice touch. I'm pretty sure the current law school buildings definitely weren't built in the 1920s though. The only way it'd be a significant boost is if your family continued/s to give money or UVA thinks they'll start/continue to give money. And by money, we're talking at least six figures, if not 7+.


I think OP was not referring to UVA, he has not named the school. That reference was from some annoying troll who posted the same response twice.

OP: I agree that this is an excellent point to mention in a paragraph of you Why X essay. Don't sound pompous and presumptuous when you say it though, that would be a major turn off (if I were an adcomm).

User avatar
IAFG
Posts: 6665
Joined: Mon Jun 15, 2009 1:26 pm

Re: Legacyish

Postby IAFG » Wed Nov 24, 2010 12:56 pm

You made it sound charming and quirky when posting about it here. I am sure you can do the same in your Why X. Something would love the chance to make him proud in the school that meant so much to him something.

User avatar
FlanAl
Posts: 1474
Joined: Fri Mar 12, 2010 4:53 pm

Re: Legacyish

Postby FlanAl » Wed Nov 24, 2010 1:00 pm

YCrev the school isn't Uva I just used it as an example in the OP, haha. And yeah the continued donations is my worry. Since my dad didn't go there I know he doesn't donate. My grandfather might but I doubt its much. But the relative in question donated a large enough sum to get the law school built (according to the schools timeline) and it is still named after him. I don't know if it would make a difference but this was a fairly large sum that if stretched out over generations would be a solid six figure donation every year from the donation until quite a few years from now. But yeah I'm with you on not seeing it as that much of a boost I'm not sure adcomms think that a huge one off should be looked at as a bunch of little ones over the years.

I'm not trying to argue with you (just wanted to clarify about the significance of the donation and see if that made any difference) I'm with you on the fact of the donation not being that much of a boost (although I hope we're both wrong, ha) but I think it could make for a compelling "why X" essay.

User avatar
lalalawya
Posts: 321
Joined: Mon Oct 04, 2010 2:34 pm

Re: Legacyish

Postby lalalawya » Wed Nov 24, 2010 1:14 pm

FlanAl wrote:YCrev the school isn't Uva I just used it as an example in the OP, haha. And yeah the continued donations is my worry. Since my dad didn't go there I know he doesn't donate. My grandfather might but I doubt its much. But the relative in question donated a large enough sum to get the law school built (according to the schools timeline) and it is still named after him. I don't know if it would make a difference but this was a fairly large sum that if stretched out over generations would be a solid six figure donation every year from the donation until quite a few years from now. But yeah I'm with you on not seeing it as that much of a boost I'm not sure adcomms think that a huge one off should be looked at as a bunch of little ones over the years.

I'm not trying to argue with you (just wanted to clarify about the significance of the donation and see if that made any difference) I'm with you on the fact of the donation not being that much of a boost (although I hope we're both wrong, ha) but I think it could make for a compelling "why X" essay.


Haha, well I will argue with YCrev for you because I disagree with him.
I think the fact that your ancestor donated enough money to BUILD the law school trumps the fact that your more immediate family members have not continued contributing. Obviously the school thought enough about the donation to name the law school after your great great great grandfather (or whoever it is).
Also, I read somewhere on lawschool numbers (and it was brought up in the current "Yale Legacy" posta) that a Yale legacy (his father, uncle, and grandpa or something all attended and his uncle is a current professor) that an applicant with a 158 and 3.86 or something got in. If this kid got into YALE with that LSAT and those kind of ties, I think you have a strong chance of getting into whatever school your ancestor donated a shit ton to.

User avatar
FlanAl
Posts: 1474
Joined: Fri Mar 12, 2010 4:53 pm

Re: Legacyish

Postby FlanAl » Wed Nov 24, 2010 1:17 pm

bdubs yeah the main issue is including it without sounding pompous. But yeah I could definitely see it coming off like this

reasonable_man wrote:Just call in to the admissions office and say: " Good sir, I do say that I am planning on taking up a career in the learned profession of the law and have chosen to follow my birthrite, which leads me to this fine university. As I'm sure you know, my blood lines run deep here at Yale, what with many generations of noblemen from my family having attended since the early 1800's and my grandmother's third counsin's aunt's father having recently agreed to take up PHD at the old school. I just wanted to call in to make sure that legacy students, such as myself, are required to take part in the rifraffery of a written application or if such procedures are handled in the more gentlemenly manner of a hand shake over a fine cigar and brandy at the old boys club. Do let me know old chap. Cherio!"


which is definitely not my intention, and I'd really have no right coming off like that since i'm not that privileged.

Which brings me to another point. For me this is sort of a lost family heritage that I'd like to try and connect with. I don't want to sound pretentious and entitled but I also don't want to distance myself too much from the legacy.

I think IAFG's about keeping it quirky might be the best bet. I mean this definitely isn't a I should be granted admission to X school ploy. It really more a wow wouldn't it be cool to study in a building one of my relatives played a part in creating, cheeseball but hey its true.

bdubs
Posts: 3729
Joined: Sat Feb 06, 2010 2:23 pm

Re: Legacyish

Postby bdubs » Wed Nov 24, 2010 1:20 pm

FlanAl wrote:bdubs yeah the main issue is including it without sounding pompous. But yeah I could definitely see it coming off like this

reasonable_man wrote:Just call in to the admissions office and say: " Good sir, I do say that I am planning on taking up a career in the learned profession of the law and have chosen to follow my birthrite, which leads me to this fine university. As I'm sure you know, my blood lines run deep here at Yale, what with many generations of noblemen from my family having attended since the early 1800's and my grandmother's third counsin's aunt's father having recently agreed to take up PHD at the old school. I just wanted to call in to make sure that legacy students, such as myself, are required to take part in the rifraffery of a written application or if such procedures are handled in the more gentlemenly manner of a hand shake over a fine cigar and brandy at the old boys club. Do let me know old chap. Cherio!"


which is definitely not my intention, and I'd really have no right coming off like that since i'm not that privileged.

Which brings me to another point. For me this is sort of a lost family heritage that I'd like to try and connect with. I don't want to sound pretentious and entitled but I also don't want to distance myself too much from the legacy.

I think IAFG's about keeping it quirky might be the best bet. I mean this definitely isn't a I should be granted admission to X school ploy. It really more a wow wouldn't it be cool to study in a building one of my relatives played a part in creating, cheeseball but hey its true.


I agree. Just please don't mention or quote what your aunt said to you. It sounds as though you had never thought about applying to school X until you heard that you had this long lost family history. Also, her comments about you being a shoe-in for admission are obviously not the message you want to send.

User avatar
FlanAl
Posts: 1474
Joined: Fri Mar 12, 2010 4:53 pm

Re: Legacyish

Postby FlanAl » Wed Nov 24, 2010 1:29 pm

well yeah the Yale kids ties were active though and I think thats what makes his situation clearer. I mean if my dad and grandad both went to this law school we'd be having a different conversation. I think that wanting to get in touch with a distant past hopefully makes it seem like i'm kinda more appreciative and not so entitled. And if I did get in and happen to do well for myself I would definitely donate to this school. haha a sort of follow in my ancestors footsteps type thing. But my worry is that would come off as presumptuous ITE.

bdubs I would definitely not mention what my aunt said. And what she said was what got me researching the school and my family's ties to it over a year ago. I think my post might have made it sound like I just learned about it while applying this cycle and decided to throw an app there way because of the new info. This isn't the case. But I'm not going to lie, the family history is probably the main draw to this particular school.

User avatar
FlanAl
Posts: 1474
Joined: Fri Mar 12, 2010 4:53 pm

Re: Legacyish

Postby FlanAl » Wed Nov 24, 2010 1:44 pm

I want to thank everyone for their advice. I'm definitely going to include something about it in a "why X" essay which i'll probably post in the next few weeks (after I do some more research, should I make sure to state the specific relation to the person who donated?) and would be grateful for any critiques. I also welcome and appreciate any further advice people might want to post in this thread.

thanks again




Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Baidu [Spider], guybourdin, mrtux45, xn3345 and 5 guests