Why is everyone so negative

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
Gatorbull84

Why is everyone so negative

Postby Gatorbull84 » Wed Nov 24, 2010 12:21 am

Why is it that whenever someone asks a specific question on these forums everyone ignores the question and just gives some condescending negative answer?

I mean I have read threads where the op asked a question unrelated to admissions(something basic like which school has the best library) and everyone just tells the person that they are screwed.

Everybody realizes that the economy and the legal field sucks right now but come on. Its almost like everyone has a autoanswer key that just says "retake the LSAT or you are screwed" and they apply that to every scenario.

kwais

Re: Why is everyone so negative

Postby kwais » Wed Nov 24, 2010 12:25 am

couldn't agree more

renaissanceman83

Postby renaissanceman83 » Wed Nov 24, 2010 12:27 am

I disagree, but I think you both need to retake the LSAT or you'll be in trouble. The market is a mess in case you didn't realize, and even HYS grads aren't guaranteed anything.

well-hello-there

Postby well-hello-there » Wed Nov 24, 2010 12:27 am

If you don't re-take the LSAT, how could you NOT be screwed?

JazzOne

Postby JazzOne » Wed Nov 24, 2010 12:29 am

Gatorbull84 wrote:Why is it that whenever someone asks a specific question on these forums everyone ignores the question and just gives some condescending negative answer?

I mean I have read threads where the op asked a question unrelated to admissions(something basic like which school has the best library) and everyone just tells the person that they are screwed.

Everybody realizes that the economy and the legal field sucks right now but come on. Its almost like everyone has a autoanswer key that just says "retake the LSAT or you are screwed" and they apply that to every scenario.

This has nothing to do with admissions. Way to ruin the forum.

Postby 09042014 » Wed Nov 24, 2010 12:29 am

Gatorbull84 wrote:Why is it that whenever someone asks a specific question on these forums everyone ignores the question and just gives some condescending negative answer?

Because we can see what time of stupidity the poster is plotting by looking at the question they are asking.

If someone asks what school is best or South American Bird Law, they are probably trying to make a career in South American Bird Law, which doesn't exist.

Danteshek

Postby Danteshek » Wed Nov 24, 2010 12:30 am

Start another website. I'm serious. The problem with TLS is that most of the Mods are douche bags and permit behavior to continue.

Gatorbull84

Postby Gatorbull84 » Wed Nov 24, 2010 12:35 am

Desert Fox wrote:

Because we can see what time of stupidity the poster is plotting by looking at the question they are asking.

If someone asks what school is best or South American Bird Law, they are probably trying to make a career in South American Bird Law, which doesn't exist.

This is pretty much what I am talking about. Lets say hypothetically you are right and everyone of the "you are screwed" responses are justified by the op being stupid. Than what are you really accomplishing by never answering the question and just trying to put the person down? If South American Bird Law is what that person wants than so be it. If they end up screwed in the long run than that is just life

On a side I have seen responses like Im talking about to questions like "Should I go to Emory with $10,000 or Vandy with no money" questions. Not just stupid bird law questions

Mike12188

Postby Mike12188 » Wed Nov 24, 2010 12:41 am

Danteshek wrote:

Start another website. I'm serious. The problem with TLS is that most of the Mods are douche bags and permit behavior to continue.

You can start one called Shitty-law-schools.com and be the mod. You guys can talk about TTT law schools, unicorns, rainbows, and butterflies.

Gatorbull84

Postby Gatorbull84 » Wed Nov 24, 2010 12:45 am

JazzOne wrote:

Yes this one post ruined this forum not all of the completely irrelevant answers.

JazzOne

Postby JazzOne » Wed Nov 24, 2010 12:48 am

Gatorbull84 wrote:
JazzOne wrote:

Yes this one post ruined this forum not all of the completely irrelevant answers.

I'm just pointing out how silly it is for you to complain about the conduct in the forum while you are breaking one of the forum rules.

slacker

Postby slacker » Wed Nov 24, 2010 12:48 am

What you're describing happens everywhere on the internet. This forum is also incredibly helpful. None of us would be here if it wasn't.

Gatorbull84

Postby Gatorbull84 » Wed Nov 24, 2010 12:50 am

slacker wrote:What you're describing happens everywhere on the internet. This forum is also incredibly helpful. None of us would be here if it wasn't.

Im not arguing that you cannot find helpful information on this forum but its pretty hard to ignore the fact that the majority of replies are negative and pretty darn similar

Mike12188

Postby Mike12188 » Wed Nov 24, 2010 12:51 am

Gatorbull84 wrote:
slacker wrote:What you're describing happens everywhere on the internet. This forum is also incredibly helpful. None of us would be here if it wasn't.

Im not arguing that you cannot find helpful information on this forum but its pretty hard to ignore the fact that the majority of replies are negative and pretty darn similar

Retake

Gatorbull84

Postby Gatorbull84 » Wed Nov 24, 2010 12:55 am

JazzOne wrote:
Gatorbull84 wrote:
JazzOne wrote:

I'm just pointing out how silly it is for you to complain about the conduct in the forum while you are breaking one of the forum rules.

I really doubt you were trying to point out a simple instance of irony.

pppokerface

Postby pppokerface » Wed Nov 24, 2010 1:00 am

Sounds like you pretty much answered your own question.
"Everybody realizes that the economy and the legal field sucks right now"
including graduates from highly ranked schools (though probably less so than the lower tier schools), so unless job prospects greatly improve by 2014/15 etc, TLSers are trying to encourage people to get to the best schools that they can to...minimize the blow. I think that people are just trying to be realistic.

beachbum

Postby beachbum » Wed Nov 24, 2010 1:01 am

Gatorbull84 wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:

This is pretty much what I am talking about. Lets say hypothetically you are right and everyone of the "you are screwed" responses are justified by the op being stupid. Than what are you really accomplishing by never answering the question and just trying to put the person down? If South American Bird Law is what that person wants than so be it. If they end up screwed in the long run than that is just life

On a side I have seen responses like Im talking about to questions like "Should I go to Emory with $10,000 or Vandy with no money" questions. Not just stupid bird law questions

Then who is more of a dick: one who tells this person to retake/reconsider/get WE in an effort to prevent them from probable financial suicide, or one who says nothing (or even encourages them), knowing that this person's foray into law school and the legal market will likely end in failure and under/unemployment? I agree that TLS can be harsh, but sometimes harsh works best.

rayiner

Postby rayiner » Wed Nov 24, 2010 1:02 am

Desert Fox wrote:

+1.

pppokerface

Postby pppokerface » Wed Nov 24, 2010 1:04 am

beachbum wrote:
Gatorbull84 wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:

Then who is more of a dick: one who tells this person to retake/reconsider/get WE in an effort to prevent them from probable financial suicide, or one who says nothing (or even encourages them), knowing that this person's foray into law school and the legal market will likely end in failure and under/unemployment? I agree that TLS can be harsh, but sometimes harsh works best.

Seriously. If I want fluff I can just go to nonTLSers, most of whom (that I know anyways) think that every law student will become a $$$$$$$$$$$ lawyer who owns 100 Porsches.

NJcollegestudent

Postby NJcollegestudent » Wed Nov 24, 2010 1:04 am

Students who go to TTT or TTTT schools are not necessarily shut out from job opportunities. It simply depends on what you want to do and where you are comfortable. Honestly, what is the difference between someone making $80,000 and $150,000. Either of those salaries is decent to live upon, and even excessive in many instances.

About the retaking, again it comes down to your own individual situation and where you want to go. If you tell me that someone who scored a 170 will do much better than a person in the 140's in law school, that just is not accurate. Scores while reflective of the ability to recognize certain testing attributes, do not speak to a persons ability to learn law material in a complete manner.

I am certain that someone who scores in the lower brackets, with hard work could suceed at HYS.

JazzOne

Postby JazzOne » Wed Nov 24, 2010 1:06 am

Gatorbull84 wrote:I really doubt you were trying to point out a simple instance of irony.

No, not irony. Stupidity.

Gatorbull84

Postby Gatorbull84 » Wed Nov 24, 2010 1:10 am

Im sorry I don't buy the "people are just trying to help others" response. The only reason someone avoids someone else's questions and just attempts to put them down is because they want to feel superior to that person.

PinkCow

Postby PinkCow » Wed Nov 24, 2010 1:10 am

--ImageRemoved--

Welcome to the internet. You gotta sift through sh*t, but you'll find some gems from time to time.
Last edited by PinkCow on Wed Nov 24, 2010 1:11 am, edited 1 time in total.

JazzOne

Postby JazzOne » Wed Nov 24, 2010 1:10 am

NJcollegestudent wrote:If you tell me that someone who scored a 170 will do much better than a person in the 140's in law school, that just is not accurate.

I suppose it's not guaranteed, but you'd be a fool to wager otherwise.

NJcollegestudent wrote:Scores while reflective of the ability to recognize certain testing attributes, do not speak to a persons ability to learn law material in a complete manner.

Luckily, none of my LS exams has ever tested the manner in which I learned the material.

NJcollegestudent wrote:I am certain that someone who scores in the lower brackets, with hard work could suceed at HYS.

Define "suceed" (sic).
Last edited by JazzOne on Wed Nov 24, 2010 1:12 am, edited 1 time in total.

JazzOne

Postby JazzOne » Wed Nov 24, 2010 1:11 am

Gatorbull84 wrote:Im sorry I don't buy the "people are just trying to help others" response. The only reason someone avoids someone else's questions and just attempts to put them down is because they want to feel superior to that person.

That's the only possible reason? It couldn't just be for shits and giggles? We just want to feel superior to an anonymous internet account? lol
Last edited by JazzOne on Wed Nov 24, 2010 1:16 am, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”