Criminal History /Chances of Law School

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
SoccerFan1551

Criminal History /Chances of Law School

Postby SoccerFan1551 » Tue Nov 23, 2010 4:55 pm

OK well I have some transgressions that make me uneasy about applying to law school.

My freshman year of college I ran away from the police for three miles for underage drinking, I was charged with disorderly conduct, obstruction of justice, and resisting arrest. I got everything dropped except that drinking ticket (municipal ordinance violation) and resisting arrest which is expunged.

My sophomore year of college i was issued a warning for academic cheating, no punishment or probation was issued. It simply states in my file that I was issued a warning.

My junior year of college I received my second and third drinking tickets, the first was in the beginning of the year and I received a municipal ordinance violation. Furthermore I had my brothers id confiscated by the police and my license was suspended for a year (received no citation or conviction for it, it simply is reflected as "possession of id" on my driver abstract). My third ticket was a state issued ticket that is not on record due to court supervision.

I have a 3.82 GPA and a 170 on my LSAT. Im not an alcoholic, my small UG university is just strict about drinking and the academic warning was for using answers from a test from a previous semester (half of the class received this warning). After my third drinking ticket I quit drinking entirely and have had no incidents. I am now a senior.

I was specifically looking at schools like UIUC or other Midwest colleges. Assuming I have no further incidents, are law schools likely to accept me? Or would waiting a year or so be better.

Thanks, and I know I was wrong so please don't tell me what an idiot I am.

OGR3

Re: Criminal History /Chances of Law School

Postby OGR3 » Tue Nov 23, 2010 4:57 pm

Disclose everything and you'll be fine.

kwais

Postby kwais » Tue Nov 23, 2010 5:01 pm

You should be ok. Personally, I'd be more worried about the academic thing than the drinking, although an explanation about the drinking (including maybe the part about you quitting) might help. People might disagree with me, but I think if you are up front, it will not preclude admission. Especially with your numbers

HopefulFish

Postby HopefulFish » Tue Nov 23, 2010 5:28 pm

academic cheating > being a college student.

cartercl

Postby cartercl » Tue Nov 23, 2010 5:33 pm

For some reason Superbad comes to mind when you mention running away from the police. But seriously, you'll be fine. Definitely think you should be more concerned about the cheating. Just be ready to explain it.

Patriot1208

Postby Patriot1208 » Tue Nov 23, 2010 6:26 pm

The real question is, how, after three miles, did you not get away from the police? What did you run in a straight line down the street?

NZA

Postby NZA » Tue Nov 23, 2010 6:35 pm

Patriot1208 wrote:The real question is, how, after three miles, did you not get away from the police? What did you run in a straight line down the street?

if he was that drunk it couldn't have been a straight line.
Last edited by NZA on Tue Nov 30, 2010 12:16 am, edited 1 time in total.

SoccerFan1551

Postby SoccerFan1551 » Tue Nov 23, 2010 6:42 pm

Well, I ran off of the campus and the police used their radios to zero in on my position. It was snowing and they could follow my tracks. Basically, I only got caught because they released a police dog on me when I ran into a park. There was nine police cars by the end of the chase. Story of my life lol.

Deuce

Postby Deuce » Tue Nov 23, 2010 6:49 pm

Last edited by Deuce on Wed Nov 24, 2010 3:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Patriot1208

Postby Patriot1208 » Tue Nov 23, 2010 7:45 pm

SoccerFan1551 wrote:Well, I ran off of the campus and the police used their radios to zero in on my position. It was snowing and they could follow my tracks. Basically, I only got caught because they released a police dog on me when I ran into a park. There was nine police cars by the end of the chase. Story of my life lol.

lol I have absolutely never heard of police trying that hard to bust a kid drinking, especially not using dogs. You got to have a plan, run to a place you can stay.

ResolutePear

Postby ResolutePear » Tue Nov 23, 2010 7:49 pm

Patriot1208 wrote:
SoccerFan1551 wrote:Well, I ran off of the campus and the police used their radios to zero in on my position. It was snowing and they could follow my tracks. Basically, I only got caught because they released a police dog on me when I ran into a park. There was nine police cars by the end of the chase. Story of my life lol.

lol I have absolutely never heard of police trying that hard to bust a kid drinking, especially not using dogs. You got to have a plan, run to a place you can stay.

Why run? Just plea the 5th and no harm will come to you!

--ImageRemoved--

OGR3

Postby OGR3 » Tue Nov 23, 2010 7:51 pm

Patriot1208 wrote:

He should have built himself an igloo.

Seriously, with the exception of the most small and remote college towns, the police have much bigger problems on their hands, like how to legally harass minorities.

ResolutePear

Postby ResolutePear » Tue Nov 23, 2010 8:04 pm

OGR3 wrote:
Patriot1208 wrote:

He should have built himself an igloo.

Seriously, with the exception of the most small and remote college towns, the police have much bigger problems on their hands, like how to legally harass minorities.

I do not consent to this search!

WHY ARE YOU GIVING ME A HANDJOB....

SoccerFan1551

Postby SoccerFan1551 » Tue Nov 23, 2010 8:10 pm

Sweet, thanks folks. I'll be sure to fully disclose and steer clear of trouble. This has been bothering me for the past couple months

Ratchet Jackson

Postby Ratchet Jackson » Wed Nov 24, 2010 2:35 pm

SoccerFan1551 wrote:Sweet, thanks folks. I'll be sure to fully disclose and steer clear of trouble. This has been bothering me for the past couple months

yeah you're fine. be honest, explain everything fully and accept responsibility (aka dont say you got arrested cuz cops in your town are jerks) and you will be good to go.

northwood

Postby northwood » Wed Nov 24, 2010 2:56 pm

too bad law schools dont have a track, or cross country team. You would be getting offered tons of sholarships if they knew you could outrun someone for 3 miles drunk.

that being said, you willbe fine. Just own up to it, and dont make excuses. For the alcohol part- state that you went to treatment to prove to them that you dont have an issue ( most of these incidents were alcohol related)

In regard to the acadmic issue. State the facts, and dont give any excuse. If you have learned something from this ( other than dont get caught) then state it. otherwise offer to explain it in person if need be.

best of luck forrest.

paratactical

Postby paratactical » Wed Nov 24, 2010 2:59 pm

northwood wrote:too bad law schools dont have a track, or cross country team. You would be getting offered tons of sholarships if they knew you could outrun someone for 3 miles drunk.

Oh man, I want to watch a drunk cross country race.

champ33

Postby champ33 » Wed Nov 24, 2010 3:44 pm

I'll just add my two cents I disclosed 3 separate underage drinking incidents and it didn't seem to effect my cycle in the slightest. Good luck.

Grizz

Postby Grizz » Wed Nov 24, 2010 3:46 pm

paratactical wrote:
northwood wrote:too bad law schools dont have a track, or cross country team. You would be getting offered tons of sholarships if they knew you could outrun someone for 3 miles drunk.

Oh man, I want to watch a drunk cross country race.

This. I've tried to run while blackout before. It's not pretty.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”