How do you think law schools should be ranked?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
elegally

New
Posts: 36
Joined: Fri Oct 15, 2010 11:43 am

How do you think law schools should be ranked?

Postby elegally » Tue Nov 23, 2010 2:39 pm

List any factors that you think would lead to better rankings of law schools.

Also, since there are bound to be some silly answers, let me get this out of the way.

Lol! You should be a comedian!

No. You should really be a comedian. The legal market is saturated.

User avatar
Adjudicator

Silver
Posts: 1108
Joined: Fri Jul 23, 2010 4:18 am

Re: How do you think law schools should be ranked?

Postby Adjudicator » Tue Nov 23, 2010 2:42 pm

Allow me to make the first joke!


Library size.

Aqualibrium

Gold
Posts: 2010
Joined: Tue Feb 24, 2009 5:57 am

Re: How do you think law schools should be ranked?

Postby Aqualibrium » Tue Nov 23, 2010 2:43 pm

By USNEWS and World Report...

User avatar
YankeesFan

Silver
Posts: 533
Joined: Wed Oct 20, 2010 8:42 pm

Re: How do you think law schools should be ranked?

Postby YankeesFan » Tue Nov 23, 2010 2:43 pm

Number of bars within a 5 block radius

User avatar
4for44

Bronze
Posts: 209
Joined: Sat Mar 13, 2010 4:05 pm

Re: How do you think law schools should be ranked?

Postby 4for44 » Tue Nov 23, 2010 2:44 pm

Lay person prestige... ;)

User avatar
OGR3

Silver
Posts: 881
Joined: Wed Dec 23, 2009 6:56 pm

Re: How do you think law schools should be ranked?

Postby OGR3 » Tue Nov 23, 2010 2:44 pm

Eliminate T-3 and T-4.

Then alphabetically.

User avatar
4for44

Bronze
Posts: 209
Joined: Sat Mar 13, 2010 4:05 pm

Re: How do you think law schools should be ranked?

Postby 4for44 » Tue Nov 23, 2010 2:45 pm

OGR3 wrote:Eliminate T-3 and T-4.

Then alphabetically.


Oh god... Poor Yale...

User avatar
Adjudicator

Silver
Posts: 1108
Joined: Fri Jul 23, 2010 4:18 am

Re: How do you think law schools should be ranked?

Postby Adjudicator » Tue Nov 23, 2010 2:47 pm

4for44 wrote:
OGR3 wrote:Eliminate T-3 and T-4.

Then alphabetically.


Oh god... Poor Yale...


If we did this, the #1 school in the country would be... Alabama? Followed by American University.

User avatar
thelaststraw05

Silver
Posts: 1028
Joined: Fri Nov 05, 2010 7:47 am

Re: How do you think law schools should be ranked?

Postby thelaststraw05 » Tue Nov 23, 2010 2:48 pm

Some type of employment statistic that isn't ENTIRELY made up.

User avatar
thelaststraw05

Silver
Posts: 1028
Joined: Fri Nov 05, 2010 7:47 am

Re: How do you think law schools should be ranked?

Postby thelaststraw05 » Tue Nov 23, 2010 2:49 pm

Adjudicator wrote:
4for44 wrote:
OGR3 wrote:Eliminate T-3 and T-4.

Then alphabetically.


Oh god... Poor Yale...


If we did this, the #1 school in the country would be... Alabama? Followed by American University.


Cooley's ranking would be severely increased. Also many schools would be looking to go from "The University of XXXXX" to "XXXXX, The University of."

User avatar
YankeesFan

Silver
Posts: 533
Joined: Wed Oct 20, 2010 8:42 pm

Re: How do you think law schools should be ranked?

Postby YankeesFan » Tue Nov 23, 2010 2:51 pm

thelaststraw05 wrote:Some type of employment statistic that isn't ENTIRELY made up.


WIN.

Borhas

Platinum
Posts: 6248
Joined: Sun Sep 27, 2009 6:09 pm

Re: How do you think law schools should be ranked?

Postby Borhas » Tue Nov 23, 2010 2:52 pm

employment outcomes
diversity
faculty
Last edited by Borhas on Sun Jan 28, 2018 2:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
thelaststraw05

Silver
Posts: 1028
Joined: Fri Nov 05, 2010 7:47 am

Re: How do you think law schools should be ranked?

Postby thelaststraw05 » Tue Nov 23, 2010 2:54 pm

Average debt load upon graduation?

In this economy, graduating with a heavy debt burden can be a death sentence.

User avatar
Bildungsroman

Platinum
Posts: 5529
Joined: Sun Apr 11, 2010 2:42 pm

Re: How do you think law schools should be ranked?

Postby Bildungsroman » Tue Nov 23, 2010 3:09 pm

Employment after graduation.

User avatar
Sentry

Silver
Posts: 1234
Joined: Tue Mar 02, 2010 6:38 pm

Re: How do you think law schools should be ranked?

Postby Sentry » Tue Nov 23, 2010 3:13 pm

JD required employment
Biglaw+clerkship is a pretty good rough indicator.

tk4386

New
Posts: 12
Joined: Wed Nov 03, 2010 12:56 pm

Re: How do you think law schools should be ranked?

Postby tk4386 » Tue Nov 23, 2010 3:14 pm

Sluttiness of the locals.

User avatar
kwais

Gold
Posts: 1675
Joined: Tue May 11, 2010 12:28 pm

Re: How do you think law schools should be ranked?

Postby kwais » Tue Nov 23, 2010 3:18 pm

1 minus %hipsters/%students

pereira6

Silver
Posts: 616
Joined: Tue Jul 20, 2010 6:10 pm

Re: How do you think law schools should be ranked?

Postby pereira6 » Tue Nov 23, 2010 3:28 pm

BCS rankings and men's bball coaches' polls, duh.

I think some sort of analysis of how well the school does in its home market should be in play. For example, lots of Tier 2 schools have a great placement in their regions, while others struggle to even place their students at the law firm next door.

User avatar
omninode

Bronze
Posts: 405
Joined: Tue Oct 12, 2010 2:09 pm

Re: How do you think law schools should be ranked?

Postby omninode » Tue Nov 23, 2010 3:33 pm

Quality of local pizza.

canuck

Bronze
Posts: 222
Joined: Mon Oct 11, 2010 7:26 pm

Re: How do you think law schools should be ranked?

Postby canuck » Tue Nov 23, 2010 3:38 pm

[(job stats/1L difficulty) + library comfort] x hot undegrads

User avatar
northwood

Moderator
Posts: 5018
Joined: Fri May 14, 2010 7:29 pm

Re: How do you think law schools should be ranked?

Postby northwood » Tue Nov 23, 2010 3:40 pm

ratio of bars to students

User avatar
2807

Silver
Posts: 597
Joined: Thu Dec 17, 2009 10:23 pm

Re: How do you think law schools should be ranked?

Postby 2807 » Tue Nov 23, 2010 3:43 pm

I would like to see a blind test for employment after law school.
Employment will be determined by what you learned--not where where you learned it.

Then, rank schools accordingly.

T4 or T1 will have no value.
Work-product should be king.

User avatar
omninode

Bronze
Posts: 405
Joined: Tue Oct 12, 2010 2:09 pm

Re: How do you think law schools should be ranked?

Postby omninode » Tue Nov 23, 2010 3:53 pm

2807 wrote:I would like to see a blind test for employment after law school.
Employment will be determined by what you learned--not where where you learned it.

Then, rank schools accordingly.

T4 or T1 will have no value.
Work-product should be king.

I think the rankings would probably be roughly the same, with perhaps a few surprises (mainly T1s/T2s moving down). I don't think you would see T4 schools jumping into the top 50.

User avatar
2807

Silver
Posts: 597
Joined: Thu Dec 17, 2009 10:23 pm

Re: How do you think law schools should be ranked?

Postby 2807 » Tue Nov 23, 2010 4:03 pm

omninode wrote:
2807 wrote:I would like to see a blind test for employment after law school.
Employment will be determined by what you learned--not where where you learned it.

Then, rank schools accordingly.

T4 or T1 will have no value.
Work-product should be king.

I think the rankings would probably be roughly the same, with perhaps a few surprises (mainly T1s/T2s moving down). I don't think you would see T4 schools jumping into the top 50.


Well, maybe. That is why I would like a blind test. It will tell the truth. It would make the teachers teach, and the students learn. Pedigree would mean nothing. If it so happened that pedigree and work-product equated to the same rankings I would be surprised, but at least it would really validate that ranking--and for the right reason.

canuck

Bronze
Posts: 222
Joined: Mon Oct 11, 2010 7:26 pm

Re: How do you think law schools should be ranked?

Postby canuck » Tue Nov 23, 2010 4:08 pm

2807 wrote:
omninode wrote:
2807 wrote:I would like to see a blind test for employment after law school.
Employment will be determined by what you learned--not where where you learned it.

Then, rank schools accordingly.

T4 or T1 will have no value.
Work-product should be king.

I think the rankings would probably be roughly the same, with perhaps a few surprises (mainly T1s/T2s moving down). I don't think you would see T4 schools jumping into the top 50.


Well, maybe. That is why I would like a blind test. It will tell the truth. It would make the teachers teach, and the students learn. Pedigree would mean nothing. If it so happened that pedigree and work-product equated to the same rankings I would be surprised, but at least it would really validate that ranking--and for the right reason.


This is so flawed in so many ways.



Return to “Law School Admissions Forum�

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 20 guests