JD/MBA

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
bigben5289

JD/MBA

Postby bigben5289 » Tue Nov 23, 2010 3:00 am

How does the whole JD/MBA application process work?

Can I apply to be part of a MBA during my first year or do I need to be accepted into both programs before I start law school?

Thanks

James Bond

Re: JD/MBA

Postby James Bond » Tue Nov 23, 2010 3:01 am

It differs, but generally you need to be accepted into both the business school and the law school independently, then they combine you

bigben5289

Postby bigben5289 » Tue Nov 23, 2010 3:04 am

James Bond wrote:It differs, but generally you need to be accepted into both the business school and the law school independently, then they combine you

When you say independently, does that mean that I can be a 1L and decided I want a MBA and apply or no?

James Bond

Postby James Bond » Tue Nov 23, 2010 3:06 am

bigben5289 wrote:
James Bond wrote:It differs, but generally you need to be accepted into both the business school and the law school independently, then they combine you

When you say independently, does that mean that I can be a 1L and decided I want a MBA and apply or no?

I'm...unsure.

I want to say that it would most likely depend on the internal policies of the school, however. I'm leaning no, but you never know about school policies. I'm sure you can call and ask, if you have specific schools in mind :)

T6Hopeful

Postby T6Hopeful » Tue Nov 23, 2010 3:29 am

bigben5289 wrote:

I THINK (I could be hallucinating) that you can do that at many schools, depending on how the different tracks work (i.e. different schools will start the "MBA" portion at a different point).

Specifically:
--LinkRemoved--
Penn says you can apply during your 1L year.

http://www.law.duke.edu/admis/apply/jd-mba
Duke wants you to apply beforehand, but says that applicants that are not admitted to one of the programs (and presumably 1Ls) can apply later in your academic career at Duke.

"The dual degree program is not open to those who have already earned either the JD or the MBA. Students who are registered in the first or second year at the Law School OR the first year of Ross School of Business may apply to the dual degree program."
UMich

Just a few...

WestOfTheRest

Postby WestOfTheRest » Tue Nov 23, 2010 3:38 am

bigben5289 wrote:How does the whole JD/MBA application process work?

Can I apply to be part of a MBA during my first year or do I need to be accepted into both programs before I start law school?

Thanks

It's fairly common for schools to allow admission to thejoint program after first year.

capitalacq

Postby capitalacq » Tue Nov 23, 2010 3:56 am

Thanks

you can usually apply during your 1L year. but depending on what you want to do/what school you go to, odds are that 1L year you'll realize there's no point in the MBA (if you go in with an open mind, at least)

James Bond

Postby James Bond » Tue Nov 23, 2010 3:58 am

capitalacq wrote:

Thanks

you can usually apply during your 1L year. but depending on what you want to do/what school you go to, odds are that 1L year you'll realize there's no point in the MBA (if you go in with an open mind, at least)

lol more like you're realize there's no point to the JD

WestOfTheRest

Postby WestOfTheRest » Tue Nov 23, 2010 4:00 am

capitalacq wrote:

Thanks

This completely depends on what your direction in life is.... I would assume anyways. Obviously, if you only want to practice law, an MBA is useless.

PDaddy

Postby PDaddy » Tue Nov 23, 2010 4:56 am

An MBA can be useful depending on what type of law you go into and your overall career goals. Many firms recommend against an MBA until an attorney has established his/her career. That having been said, the best JD/MBA deal on the planet is Northwestern's, IMO, for three reasons.

1) Both schools are arguably the best at what they do. Forget about the law rankings that put Northwestern below Harvard and the rest. Educationally, I don't think an employer could blindly tell the difference between a Northwestern grad and grads from schools ranked above it. As the saying goes, for example, Chicago Law students and NU Law students are all nerds. NU Law students just care more about the placement of a comma in a merger contract. Chicago Law students care about the placement of a comma in an amendment to the U.S. Constitution. The Kellogg SOB (excuse the pun, lol) is as good as advertised, and arguably the best in the country.

2) One can apply to both schools w/o taking the dredded LSAT, and with one single application! The entire file (including all essays, etc) is passed between the two departments, and you get one decision. This is good news for those who kick ass on the GMAT but don't on the LSAT.

3) Chicago...Chicago...Chicago! Like NY, it's one of the business and law epicenters.

A JD/MBA from Stanford, Harvard or Penn might be just as good or even better, but it's still a great deal.
Last edited by PDaddy on Tue Nov 23, 2010 4:59 am, edited 2 times in total.

capitalacq

Postby capitalacq » Tue Nov 23, 2010 4:57 am

edgarfigaro

Postby edgarfigaro » Tue Nov 23, 2010 9:36 am

PDaddy wrote:An MBA can be useful depending on what type of law you go into and your overall career goals. Many firms recommend against an MBA until an attorney has established his/her career. That having been said, the best JD/MBA deal on the planet is Northwestern's, IMO, for three one reasons.
1) Both schools are arguably the best at what they do. Forget about the law rankings that put Northwestern below Harvard and the rest. Educationally, I don't think an employer could blindly tell the difference between a Northwestern grad and grads from schools ranked above it. As the saying goes, for example, Chicago Law students and NU Law students are all nerds. NU Law students just care more about the placement of a comma in a merger contract. Chicago Law students care about the placement of a comma in an amendment to the U.S. Constitution. The Kellogg SOB (excuse the pun, lol) is as good as advertised, and arguably the best in the country.

2) One can apply to both schools w/o taking the dredded LSAT, and with one single application! The entire file (including all essays, etc) is passed between the two departments, and you get one decision. This is good news for those who kick ass on the GMAT but don't on the LSAT.

3) Chicago...Chicago...Chicago! Like NY, it's one of the business and law epicenters.

A JD/MBA from Stanford, Harvard or Penn might be just as good or even better, but it's still a great deal.

There's only one correct reason- NU's JD/MBA program only takes three years.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”