Call from adimssions leaves me wondering.

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
p_r

Call from adimssions leaves me wondering.

Postby p_r » Tue Nov 23, 2010 1:13 am

Earlier today, I got a phone-call from the admissions office of a school I applied to in September. The call was to inform me that the faculty admissions chair wants to schedule a phone conference with me. Needless to say, this was a surprise and I've been thinking about what this conference might entail.
Some background here so that the knowledgeable of you may provide some insight: I am above both medians, but not above either of the 75th percentiles; I have very unique/diverse softs, but am not a URM, and; I do not have a criminal record.
Is it conceivable that the school may offer a scholarship of some sort over the phone? I asked the admissions office rep if the decision regarding my candidacy has been made, but she wouldn't impart any information, saying only that I will find out during the conference.

So, should I be worried or pleased?

Fresh

Re: Call from adimssions leaves me wondering.

Postby Fresh » Tue Nov 23, 2010 1:14 am

p_r wrote:Earlier today, I got a phone-call from the admissions office of a school I applied to in September. The call was to inform me that the faculty admissions chair wants to schedule a phone conference with me. Needless to say, this was a surprise and I've been thinking about what this conference might entail.
Some background here so that the knowledgeable of you may provide some insight: I am above both medians, but not above either of the 75th percentiles; I have very unique/diverse softs, but am not a URM, and; I do not have a criminal record.
Is it conceivable that the school may offer a scholarship of some sort over the phone? I asked the admissions office rep if the decision regarding my candidacy has been made, but she wouldn't impart any information, saying only that I will find out during the conference.

what schoo lsir

cartercl

Postby cartercl » Tue Nov 23, 2010 1:17 am

Let me look into my crystal ball...

Adjudicator

Postby Adjudicator » Tue Nov 23, 2010 1:19 am

They've kidnapped your family. They want to discuss the terms of the ransom. Don't negotiate with them... you're playing right into their game.

sissyclark

Postby sissyclark » Tue Nov 23, 2010 1:21 am

Are there any possible inconsistencies in your application?

bdubs

Postby bdubs » Tue Nov 23, 2010 1:22 am

p_r wrote:Earlier today, I got a phone-call from the admissions office of a school I applied to in September. The call was to inform me that the faculty admissions chair wants to schedule a phone conference with me. Needless to say, this was a surprise and I've been thinking about what this conference might entail.

Treat it like a phone interview. Refresh your memory regarding the aspects of the school you like and make you want to go there. Perhaps it's a YP thing, or maybe it's part of their merit scholarship process. Either way I would think it is generally a good thing.

chicubs88

Postby chicubs88 » Tue Nov 23, 2010 1:26 am

If your soft(s) are in fact very unique it could be that they want to verify a few things before making a decision. Hopefully, they want to offer you some scholarship money and are simply making sure that you either haven't overstated or flat out bs'd the softs.

JazzOne

Postby JazzOne » Tue Nov 23, 2010 1:30 am

cartercl wrote:Let me look into my crystal ball...

lol

sissyclark

Postby sissyclark » Tue Nov 23, 2010 1:34 am

Actually, if I were you, I'd be worried. After reading through some of your posts, you had a criminal infraction or something. I'm assuming it has to do with that.

champ33

Postby champ33 » Tue Nov 23, 2010 2:05 am

I very highly doubt they're going to reject you over the phone. If the above is true and you have a criminal disclosure, the call will likely have a positive result if you can give a good and clear explanation of that incident. Other thing I can think of from last cycle is that schools make calls to find out if the applicant has a real interest in the school or if they just applied to 30 random schools. In that case you're likely in if you can show a genuine interest.
Last edited by champ33 on Tue Nov 23, 2010 2:06 am, edited 1 time in total.

p_r

Postby p_r » Tue Nov 23, 2010 2:06 am

sissyclark wrote:Actually, if I were you, I'd be worried. After reading through some of your posts, you had a criminal infraction or something. I'm assuming it has to do with that.

I got a speeding ticket which, in my state, is not a criminal infraction.

sissyclark

Postby sissyclark » Tue Nov 23, 2010 2:09 am

champ33 wrote:I very highly doubt they're going to reject you over the phone. If the above is true and you have a criminal disclosure, the call will likely have a positive result if you can give a good and clear explanation of that incident. Other thing I can think of from last cycle is that schools make calls to find out if the applicant has a real interest in the school or if they just applied to 30 random schools. In that case you're likely in if you can show a genuine interest.

I agree. I think as long as you can explain away ny inconsistency or problem, then you might be ok. Although, I really don't think they are calling to see if you ahve a genuine interest if your numbers aren't that far above median.

And I misspoke about the criminal infraction. I just saw something in your previous posts about how you had a speeding ticket and didn't want to write an addendum about it or something. But I really do think it would be about that. Hopefully you were forthcoming about it.

HopefulFish

Postby HopefulFish » Tue Nov 23, 2010 2:11 am

What school?

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”