I Have An Unusual Situation

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
r6_philly
Posts: 10707
Joined: Sat Dec 19, 2009 4:32 pm

Re: I Have An Unusual Situation

Postby r6_philly » Tue Nov 23, 2010 12:29 am

Diiizzzzoooo wrote:

The only reason I am saying it is irrelevant is because a) it doesn't change anything, and b) it isn't compelling at all.

I work on a boat. The job pays well, but unfortunately there is a bare minimum of employees available to do the job. The LSAT falls on my particular shift, and there is one other person available to cover me in the event of an emergency. That person has responsibilities (or perhaps is just a dick), and has not been able to cover those days. My boss encouraged me to register each time, telling me that he can't make any promises, but should he be able to find coverage he would. It hasn't happened. I haven't even had a vacation in the last 4 years.


That job is all I have right now. Again, I have two kids who rely on me. I would never want to jeopardize my employment. It isn't a pretty story, but it's the truth. It may sound Ebenezer Scrooge-ish, but it is what it is. Sorry it isn't glamorous.


Thanks for sharing. I think it is a compelling story precisely because of the background. Not everyone is in such a situation where this kind of employment is tolerable. You definitely should explain it, and have your boss write a LOR and stress the importance of your presence on the boat, which caused you to miss test after test. I don't really think it is a good deal, but better not leave them wondering why.

I do wonder how you will be able to afford to go to law school, but that's off topic and I respect if you don't want answer. I don't think I could ever live with your job precisely because of my kids. I can't imagine working a job where I can't get free if my kids need me for whatever reason. Good luck with law school, and securing better employment.

r6_philly
Posts: 10707
Joined: Sat Dec 19, 2009 4:32 pm

Re: I Have An Unusual Situation

Postby r6_philly » Tue Nov 23, 2010 12:31 am

JazzOne wrote:You see, the background is relevant. If this "type of job" is such that you have to operate some kind of ship, then it makes more sense why you can't miss a day of work. Most of us work office or academic jobs where it would be ridiculous not to be able to take off a few days that you planned far in advance.


I like the jobs where you can do this without giving advanced notice :lol:

User avatar
Diiizzzzoooo
Posts: 123
Joined: Mon Aug 16, 2010 11:18 pm

Re: I Have An Unusual Situation

Postby Diiizzzzoooo » Tue Nov 23, 2010 12:36 am

ahduth wrote:
Diiizzzzoooo wrote:That job is all I have right now. Again, I have two kids who rely on me. I would never want to jeopardize my employment. It isn't a pretty story, but it's the truth. It may sound Ebenezer Scrooge-ish, but it is what it is. Sorry it isn't glamorous.


Well, that's pretty compelling. The boss kinda sounds like a meatbag, I wouldn't let him near my application personally, but you obviously know him better than I. Sounds like the addendum needs to tie into the personal statement needs to tie into the single father diversity statement. Or something.




Despite his shortcomings, doesn't his statement strengthen my application by providing a verifiable explanation for an alarming amount of absences?

User avatar
JazzOne
Posts: 2938
Joined: Tue Sep 09, 2008 11:04 am

Re: I Have An Unusual Situation

Postby JazzOne » Tue Nov 23, 2010 12:38 am

Here's a whole new can of worms: What did you score on the LSAT?

User avatar
ahduth
Posts: 2468
Joined: Wed Sep 29, 2010 10:55 am

Re: I Have An Unusual Situation

Postby ahduth » Tue Nov 23, 2010 12:47 am

Diiizzzzoooo wrote:Despite his shortcomings, doesn't his statement strengthen my application by providing a verifiable explanation for an alarming amount of absences?


I don't think he will be able to speak to your ability to succeed academically in law school. Your entire application should not be centered on a series of absences from the LSAT. You need to explain that issue away, and then move on to why you will be a successful law school student and lawyer.

User avatar
Diiizzzzoooo
Posts: 123
Joined: Mon Aug 16, 2010 11:18 pm

Re: I Have An Unusual Situation

Postby Diiizzzzoooo » Tue Nov 23, 2010 12:47 am

r6_philly wrote:
Thanks for sharing. I think it is a compelling story precisely because of the background. Not everyone is in such a situation where this kind of employment is tolerable. You definitely should explain it, and have your boss write a LOR and stress the importance of your presence on the boat, which caused you to miss test after test. I don't really think it is a good deal, but better not leave them wondering why.

I do wonder how you will be able to afford to go to law school, but that's off topic and I respect if you don't want answer. I don't think I could ever live with your job precisely because of my kids. I can't imagine working a job where I can't get free if my kids need me for whatever reason. Good luck with law school, and securing better employment.



Much obliged. I am considering law school as a reason to leave this job, and invest in a future for my family. My mom has promised to take my kids and I in, even after all the bullshit I put her through years ago, provided I make good on my promise to get through law school. It's been rough just finishing my undergrad with work and kids (took me 6 years of part time). Yes, I will have rely on loans if money isn't given to me, but I'm not expecting to become a baller out of law school. I just want some security, a career that will help me realize my dreams, and the ability to show my children that I worked hard for them so that they can be proud of their father.

User avatar
Diiizzzzoooo
Posts: 123
Joined: Mon Aug 16, 2010 11:18 pm

Re: I Have An Unusual Situation

Postby Diiizzzzoooo » Tue Nov 23, 2010 12:52 am

JazzOne wrote:Here's a whole new can of worms: What did you score on the LSAT?



I'm registered to take it on the 11th, and the situation at my job has changed in my favor. I haven't scored lower than a 170 over my last 15 practice exams. I posted earlier in WAMC a score of 168, but that was only because I can't imagine scoring any lower than that, and I wanted to know if that was enough for acceptance into Fordham. It's the only school I really want to attend.

User avatar
JazzOne
Posts: 2938
Joined: Tue Sep 09, 2008 11:04 am

Re: I Have An Unusual Situation

Postby JazzOne » Tue Nov 23, 2010 12:56 am

Diiizzzzoooo wrote:
JazzOne wrote:Here's a whole new can of worms: What did you score on the LSAT?



I'm registered to take it on the 11th, and the situation at my job has changed in my favor. I haven't scored lower than a 170 over my last 15 practice exams. I posted earlier in WAMC a score of 168, but that was only because I can't imagine scoring any lower than that, and I wanted to know if that was enough for acceptance into Fordham. It's the only school I really want to attend.

OK, just making sure your head is on straight. Make sure you don't incur too much debt. And I would start scoping out the job situation pretty early. I know you're more worried about LSAT right now, as you should be, but there is a lot more work to be done before you sign your name on those loan documents.

r6_philly
Posts: 10707
Joined: Sat Dec 19, 2009 4:32 pm

Re: I Have An Unusual Situation

Postby r6_philly » Tue Nov 23, 2010 1:03 am

Diiizzzzoooo wrote:
r6_philly wrote:
Thanks for sharing. I think it is a compelling story precisely because of the background. Not everyone is in such a situation where this kind of employment is tolerable. You definitely should explain it, and have your boss write a LOR and stress the importance of your presence on the boat, which caused you to miss test after test. I don't really think it is a good deal, but better not leave them wondering why.

I do wonder how you will be able to afford to go to law school, but that's off topic and I respect if you don't want answer. I don't think I could ever live with your job precisely because of my kids. I can't imagine working a job where I can't get free if my kids need me for whatever reason. Good luck with law school, and securing better employment.



Much obliged. I am considering law school as a reason to leave this job, and invest in a future for my family. My mom has promised to take my kids and I in, even after all the bullshit I put her through years ago, provided I make good on my promise to get through law school. It's been rough just finishing my undergrad with work and kids (took me 6 years of part time). Yes, I will have rely on loans if money isn't given to me, but I'm not expecting to become a baller out of law school. I just want some security, a career that will help me realize my dreams, and the ability to show my children that I worked hard for them so that they can be proud of their father.


Having been dirt poor for half of my life, I totally understand your motivation. Anyone who has to stay with that kind of job has a compelling story and deserve a chance to break out of that life. I wish you the best of luck. There are many scholarships from various schools that are aimed at helping social-economically disadvantaged law students. You sound like the perfect candidate, you should look into them and the schools that offer them.

I think missing all these LSAT's + working on the boat could be a wonderful PS topic, if you have not written one. What you wrote above ties in nicely explaining why you want to go to law school.

User avatar
Diiizzzzoooo
Posts: 123
Joined: Mon Aug 16, 2010 11:18 pm

Re: I Have An Unusual Situation

Postby Diiizzzzoooo » Tue Nov 23, 2010 1:05 am

JazzOne wrote:
Diiizzzzoooo wrote:
JazzOne wrote:Here's a whole new can of worms: What did you score on the LSAT?



I'm registered to take it on the 11th, and the situation at my job has changed in my favor. I haven't scored lower than a 170 over my last 15 practice exams. I posted earlier in WAMC a score of 168, but that was only because I can't imagine scoring any lower than that, and I wanted to know if that was enough for acceptance into Fordham. It's the only school I really want to attend.

OK, just making sure your head is on straight. Make sure you don't incur too much debt. And I would start scoping out the job situation pretty early. I know you're more worried about LSAT right now, as you should be, but there is a lot more work to be done before you sign your name on those loan documents.



Forgive my ignorance, but when you say "start scoping out the job situation" what exactly does that mean? As far as I'm aware, my next few steps consisted of taking the LSAT, picking a school, and signing loan documents. I'm obviously missing a few things, huh?

etown989
Posts: 117
Joined: Tue May 11, 2010 10:33 pm

Re: I Have An Unusual Situation

Postby etown989 » Tue Nov 23, 2010 1:07 am

Didn't bother reading through the back and forth of all these questions... but 7 absences. lol you mean to say for the last 2 years he conveniently needed you to work on that particular Saturday and there is nobody else he knows that could do the job you do?


Sounds like your in a pretty good position to ask for a big raise

User avatar
Diiizzzzoooo
Posts: 123
Joined: Mon Aug 16, 2010 11:18 pm

Re: I Have An Unusual Situation

Postby Diiizzzzoooo » Tue Nov 23, 2010 1:08 am

r6_philly wrote:
Having been dirt poor for half of my life, I totally understand your motivation. Anyone who has to stay with that kind of job has a compelling story and deserve a chance to break out of that life. I wish you the best of luck. There are many scholarships from various schools that are aimed at helping social-economically disadvantaged law students. You sound like the perfect candidate, you should look into them and the schools that offer them.

I think missing all these LSAT's + working on the boat could be a wonderful PS topic, if you have not written one. What you wrote above ties in nicely explaining why you want to go to law school.




Thank you, I appreciate the kind words. Truth is, I never went to high school. Was a teenage runaway living at my friend's houses and slipped into a piece of pussy that paid me back in diapers and enfamil. Was forced to grow up at the same time I was raising a son. Got this job through a friend, and 8 years later here we are.

User avatar
JazzOne
Posts: 2938
Joined: Tue Sep 09, 2008 11:04 am

Re: I Have An Unusual Situation

Postby JazzOne » Tue Nov 23, 2010 1:09 am

Diiizzzzoooo wrote:
JazzOne wrote:
Diiizzzzoooo wrote:
JazzOne wrote:Here's a whole new can of worms: What did you score on the LSAT?



I'm registered to take it on the 11th, and the situation at my job has changed in my favor. I haven't scored lower than a 170 over my last 15 practice exams. I posted earlier in WAMC a score of 168, but that was only because I can't imagine scoring any lower than that, and I wanted to know if that was enough for acceptance into Fordham. It's the only school I really want to attend.

OK, just making sure your head is on straight. Make sure you don't incur too much debt. And I would start scoping out the job situation pretty early. I know you're more worried about LSAT right now, as you should be, but there is a lot more work to be done before you sign your name on those loan documents.



Forgive my ignorance, but when you say "start scoping out the job situation" what exactly does that mean? As far as I'm aware, my next few steps consisted of taking the LSAT, picking a school, and signing loan documents. I'm obviously missing a few things, huh?

lol

Just checking

User avatar
Diiizzzzoooo
Posts: 123
Joined: Mon Aug 16, 2010 11:18 pm

Re: I Have An Unusual Situation

Postby Diiizzzzoooo » Tue Nov 23, 2010 1:10 am

etown989 wrote:Didn't bother reading through the back and forth of all these questions... but 7 absences. lol you mean to say for the last 2 years he conveniently needed you to work on that particular Saturday and there is nobody else he knows that could do the job you do?


Sounds like your in a pretty good position to ask for a big raise



He has made it worth my while. I was never in a rush to be quite honest, and he has not had the best luck with other employees.

r6_philly
Posts: 10707
Joined: Sat Dec 19, 2009 4:32 pm

Re: I Have An Unusual Situation

Postby r6_philly » Tue Nov 23, 2010 1:16 am

Diiizzzzoooo wrote:Thank you, I appreciate the kind words. Truth is, I never went to high school. Was a teenage runaway living at my friend's houses and slipped into a piece of pussy that paid me back in diapers and enfamil. Was forced to grow up at the same time I was raising a son. Got this job through a friend, and 8 years later here we are.


Hey if you keep trying things have to get better. I was a homeless teen, but somehow manage not to produce any offsprings or get into any real trouble until I got my life together. Took 3 years to get a GED and 14 years to get a BS. Victory is sweeter this way 8) I have confidence you will get what you want, sounds like you got what it takes.

User avatar
omninode
Posts: 405
Joined: Tue Oct 12, 2010 2:09 pm

Re: I Have An Unusual Situation

Postby omninode » Tue Nov 23, 2010 1:27 am

I think you can spin it as a positive thing. The fact that you were irreplaceable and a dedicated worker (so much so that you missed the LSAT 7 times) makes you compelling to say the least. I would write an addendum about it and mention that the boss is ready to vouch for you if necessary, but not include his statement by default. Putting his note in with your application makes it seem like you feel you have to justify your experiences, when in reality they are absolutely unique and, in my opinion, add to your value as a law school candidate.

If you were somebody who missed the LSAT 7 times because you overslept or were hungover, you would need to apologize for that. Missing the LSAT 7 times because your job can't function without you can absolutely be a positive thing if you sell it that way.

User avatar
20160810
Posts: 19648
Joined: Fri May 02, 2008 1:18 pm

Re: I Have An Unusual Situation

Postby 20160810 » Tue Nov 23, 2010 1:34 am

Honestly the work thing just sounds implausible. You might be better off just saying you have anxiety issues or something so they don't think you're full of beans. 7 absences is... unusual.

User avatar
cortnf
Posts: 127
Joined: Sat Oct 09, 2010 10:13 pm

Re: I Have An Unusual Situation

Postby cortnf » Tue Nov 23, 2010 1:38 am

You definitely need to provide an explanation. I would focus on your reliance on the job because of your children. I think you have a compelling story, and have legitimate reasons for wanting to go to law school. You could have an absolutely killer PS and DS.

If you score 170+, you have an very real shot at Fordham with money. Be careful about Fordham though. Although it's a good law school, their job prospects are not amazing, and I'd be very wary of taking on debt to finance an education from there.

canuck
Posts: 222
Joined: Mon Oct 11, 2010 7:26 pm

Re: I Have An Unusual Situation

Postby canuck » Tue Nov 23, 2010 1:50 am

That is completely unreal. I can't actually fathom missing 7 straight tests with all the anxiety and preparation that comes along with each of them. I'd lose my mind. If this is legit then good luck to you dude. I would hire you.

User avatar
Diiizzzzoooo
Posts: 123
Joined: Mon Aug 16, 2010 11:18 pm

Re: I Have An Unusual Situation

Postby Diiizzzzoooo » Tue Nov 23, 2010 1:52 am

cortnf wrote:You definitely need to provide an explanation. I would focus on your reliance on the job because of your children. I think you have a compelling story, and have legitimate reasons for wanting to go to law school. You could have an absolutely killer PS and DS.

If you score 170+, you have an very real shot at Fordham with money. Be careful about Fordham though. Although it's a good law school, their job prospects are not amazing, and I'd be very wary of taking on debt to finance an education from there.


What other choices do I have? I need to stay close to that area because of my kids. So, we have St. John's, Cordoza, UCONN, Quinnipiac, Brooklyn, or Hofstra.

User avatar
LAWLAW09
Posts: 303
Joined: Mon Dec 29, 2008 12:09 am

Re: I Have An Unusual Situation

Postby LAWLAW09 » Tue Nov 23, 2010 1:53 am

Write well, and forcefully. Good luck.
Last edited by LAWLAW09 on Tue Nov 23, 2010 12:09 pm, edited 2 times in total.

User avatar
Diiizzzzoooo
Posts: 123
Joined: Mon Aug 16, 2010 11:18 pm

Re: I Have An Unusual Situation

Postby Diiizzzzoooo » Tue Nov 23, 2010 1:54 am

canuck wrote:That is completely unreal. I can't actually fathom missing 7 straight tests with all the anxiety and preparation that comes along with each of them. I'd lose my mind. If this is legit then good luck to you dude. I would hire you.



Thanks, and I assure you that it's all legit. I wouldn't see the value in fabricating any of it.

User avatar
cortnf
Posts: 127
Joined: Sat Oct 09, 2010 10:13 pm

Re: I Have An Unusual Situation

Postby cortnf » Tue Nov 23, 2010 2:30 am

Diiizzzzoooo wrote:
cortnf wrote:You definitely need to provide an explanation. I would focus on your reliance on the job because of your children. I think you have a compelling story, and have legitimate reasons for wanting to go to law school. You could have an absolutely killer PS and DS.

If you score 170+, you have an very real shot at Fordham with money. Be careful about Fordham though. Although it's a good law school, their job prospects are not amazing, and I'd be very wary of taking on debt to finance an education from there.


What other choices do I have? I need to stay close to that area because of my kids. So, we have St. John's, Cordoza, UCONN, Quinnipiac, Brooklyn, or Hofstra.


If you absolutely demolish your LSAT (174+), you have an (outside) shot at Columbia, and a shot at NYU. Granted, this is in all likelihood without any merit-based money, but maybe some need-based. You're in a tough spot, and I don't envy you, but don't relegate your search to Fordham "just because". In your situation, I would apply to literally every school in the NYC market that you could commute to, see who gives you the most money, see how high in the rankings you can manage.

Regarding your multiple absent LSAT: explain in detail the circumstances of your employment and family situation. Tie it in with your PS and DS. Ask for interviews. And please, please, please do amazingly on the LSAT. The absolute last thing you want is a string of absences followed by a mediocre LSAT.

User avatar
lalalawya
Posts: 321
Joined: Mon Oct 04, 2010 2:34 pm

Re: I Have An Unusual Situation

Postby lalalawya » Wed Nov 24, 2010 1:29 pm

r6_philly wrote:I think missing all these LSAT's + working on the boat could be a wonderful PS topic, if you have not written one. What you wrote above ties in nicely explaining why you want to go to law school.


I agree. I think the fact that you have been basically barred from taking the LSAT seven times by your boss and the desire still remains to try for an 8th time and still pursue your interest in law shows an extreme amount of resiliance and perseverance. Even if you have already written a personal statement, I would re-craft it to include the aforementioned.

Good luck!

EDIT. And for sure include your upbringing (never went to HS, teenage runaway, single father). I think a discussion of all the obstacles you have faced (and overcome) would make for an excellent character PS.

User avatar
IAFG
Posts: 6665
Joined: Mon Jun 15, 2009 1:26 pm

Re: I Have An Unusual Situation

Postby IAFG » Wed Nov 24, 2010 1:37 pm

Prolly one of those things that perturbs TLS far more than adcomms. "He has the numbers, but so many absences?! Ding!"




Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 5 guests