I Have An Unusual Situation

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
User avatar
Diiizzzzoooo
Posts: 123
Joined: Mon Aug 16, 2010 11:18 pm

I Have An Unusual Situation

Postby Diiizzzzoooo » Mon Nov 22, 2010 11:23 pm

I'll get right to it.


I have several absents on my records for past LSAT tests. The reason for this is always an inability last minute for my boss to give me the Saturday off to take the test I had registered for. Take that as it is, the story behind it is unnecessary.

My boss has offered to write a supplemental letter to my addendum explaining the unique situation, as well as offer himself available to any schools who need to follow up.

My question is, do I submit this as a normal LOR or attach it as an addendum?

User avatar
JazzOne
Posts: 2938
Joined: Tue Sep 09, 2008 11:04 am

Re: I Have An Unusual Situation

Postby JazzOne » Mon Nov 22, 2010 11:28 pm

Diiizzzzoooo wrote:I'll get right to it.


I have several absents on my records for past LSAT tests. The reason for this is always an inability last minute for my boss to give me the Saturday off to take the test I had registered for. Take that as it is, the story behind it is unnecessary.

My boss has offered to write a supplemental letter to my addendum explaining the unique situation, as well as offer himself available to any schools who need to follow up.

My question is, do I submit this as a normal LOR or attach it as an addendum?

I wouldn't address this at all unless the "story behind it" is really compelling. Otherwise, it just sounds kind of silly. I mean, are you a trauma surgeon or something?

User avatar
Diiizzzzoooo
Posts: 123
Joined: Mon Aug 16, 2010 11:18 pm

Re: I Have An Unusual Situation

Postby Diiizzzzoooo » Mon Nov 22, 2010 11:31 pm

JazzOne wrote:I wouldn't address this at all unless the "story behind it" is really compelling. Otherwise, it just sounds kind of silly. I mean, are you a trauma surgeon or something?



Let's say you are an admissions officer. You aren't the least bit interested why the applicant in front of you has seven straight absences?

User avatar
Bildungsroman
Posts: 5548
Joined: Sun Apr 11, 2010 2:42 pm

Re: I Have An Unusual Situation

Postby Bildungsroman » Mon Nov 22, 2010 11:32 pm

Diiizzzzoooo wrote:
JazzOne wrote:I wouldn't address this at all unless the "story behind it" is really compelling. Otherwise, it just sounds kind of silly. I mean, are you a trauma surgeon or something?



Let's say you are an admissions officer. You aren't the least bit interested why the applicant in front of you has seven straight absences?

:shock:

Yeah, that might raise some eyebrows.

User avatar
JazzOne
Posts: 2938
Joined: Tue Sep 09, 2008 11:04 am

Re: I Have An Unusual Situation

Postby JazzOne » Mon Nov 22, 2010 11:33 pm

Diiizzzzoooo wrote:
JazzOne wrote:I wouldn't address this at all unless the "story behind it" is really compelling. Otherwise, it just sounds kind of silly. I mean, are you a trauma surgeon or something?



Let's say you are an admissions officer. You aren't the least bit interested why the applicant in front of you has seven straight absences?

It's not that I wouldn't be interested. It's that if your job is not of the type that you should have justifiably sacrificed seven test days, then it could be construed against you. That's why I think it's important what kind of work you do or what kind of circumstances required such a sacrifice.
Last edited by JazzOne on Mon Nov 22, 2010 11:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
The Gentleman
Posts: 670
Joined: Fri Jul 02, 2010 12:25 am

Re: I Have An Unusual Situation

Postby The Gentleman » Mon Nov 22, 2010 11:35 pm

JazzOne wrote:
Diiizzzzoooo wrote:I'll get right to it.


I have several absents on my records for past LSAT tests. The reason for this is always an inability last minute for my boss to give me the Saturday off to take the test I had registered for. Take that as it is, the story behind it is unnecessary.

My boss has offered to write a supplemental letter to my addendum explaining the unique situation, as well as offer himself available to any schools who need to follow up.

My question is, do I submit this as a normal LOR or attach it as an addendum?

I wouldn't address this at all unless the "story behind it" is really compelling. Otherwise, it just sounds kind of silly. I mean, are you a trauma surgeon or something?


I could only imagine the crap a trauma surgeon would get if they came on TLS and said they wanted to go to law school.

But having your boss submit the addendum as a LoR sounds kinda ridiculous. At most, I would write a very brief explanation. And even that may be unnecessary.

EDIT: If you have seven straight absences, then this may not be as ridiculous as it first sounded.

User avatar
JazzOne
Posts: 2938
Joined: Tue Sep 09, 2008 11:04 am

Re: I Have An Unusual Situation

Postby JazzOne » Mon Nov 22, 2010 11:36 pm

The Gentleman wrote:I could only imagine the crap a trauma surgeon would get if they came on TLS and said they wanted to go to law school.

Man, you just ruined a perfectly good flame.

I make $700K, but I long for a career in PI!!!

User avatar
Diiizzzzoooo
Posts: 123
Joined: Mon Aug 16, 2010 11:18 pm

Re: I Have An Unusual Situation

Postby Diiizzzzoooo » Mon Nov 22, 2010 11:38 pm

JazzOne wrote:
Diiizzzzoooo wrote:
JazzOne wrote:I wouldn't address this at all unless the "story behind it" is really compelling. Otherwise, it just sounds kind of silly. I mean, are you a trauma surgeon or something?



Let's say you are an admissions officer. You aren't the least bit interested why the applicant in front of you has seven straight absences?

It's not that I wouldn't be interested. It's that if your job is not of the type that you should have justifiably sacrificed seven straight test days, then it could be construed against you. That's why I think it's important what kind of work you do or what kind of circumstances required such a sacrifice.



So if my job is some shitty manual labor position on a boat somewhere, my absences aren't justified? I'm not understanding what you mean by "not of the type". I'm a single father who has to feed his children, and if my boss says, "I can't give you this day off", then I have no choice but to bite the bullet and wait for the next opportunity.

User avatar
JazzOne
Posts: 2938
Joined: Tue Sep 09, 2008 11:04 am

Re: I Have An Unusual Situation

Postby JazzOne » Mon Nov 22, 2010 11:40 pm

Diiizzzzoooo wrote:
JazzOne wrote:
Diiizzzzoooo wrote:
JazzOne wrote:I wouldn't address this at all unless the "story behind it" is really compelling. Otherwise, it just sounds kind of silly. I mean, are you a trauma surgeon or something?



Let's say you are an admissions officer. You aren't the least bit interested why the applicant in front of you has seven straight absences?

It's not that I wouldn't be interested. It's that if your job is not of the type that you should have justifiably sacrificed seven straight test days, then it could be construed against you. That's why I think it's important what kind of work you do or what kind of circumstances required such a sacrifice.



So if my job is some shitty manual labor position on a boat somewhere, my absences aren't justified? I'm not understanding what you mean by "not of the type". I'm a single father who has to feed his children, and if my boss says, "I can't give you this day off", then I have no choice but to bite the bullet and wait for the next opportunity.

Easy there on the selective quoting. I also said, "it's important what . . . kind of circumstances required such a sacrifice." And your boss sounds like a total ass.

whymeohgodno
Posts: 2508
Joined: Mon Jul 19, 2010 8:15 pm

Re: I Have An Unusual Situation

Postby whymeohgodno » Mon Nov 22, 2010 11:42 pm

Your boss is a complete asshole. You tell him months in advance for one day off and he can't even give it to you...multiple times?

User avatar
calilaw
Posts: 149
Joined: Tue Nov 02, 2010 10:29 pm

Re: I Have An Unusual Situation

Postby calilaw » Mon Nov 22, 2010 11:44 pm

whymeohgodno wrote:Your boss is a complete asshole.


I would make sure the admissions committees know your situation, possibly through your personal statement.
Last edited by calilaw on Mon Nov 22, 2010 11:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
JazzOne
Posts: 2938
Joined: Tue Sep 09, 2008 11:04 am

Re: I Have An Unusual Situation

Postby JazzOne » Mon Nov 22, 2010 11:45 pm

whymeohgodno wrote:Your boss is a complete asshole. You tell him months in advance for one day off and he can't even give it to you...multiple times?

Which is why I asked what kind of work it was. Some jobs are worth this kind of sacrifice. Some aren't. Some circumstances require it. Some are just wtf are you thinking?

User avatar
Diiizzzzoooo
Posts: 123
Joined: Mon Aug 16, 2010 11:18 pm

Re: I Have An Unusual Situation

Postby Diiizzzzoooo » Mon Nov 22, 2010 11:46 pm

JazzOne wrote:Easy there on the selective quoting. I also said, "it's important what . . . kind of circumstances required such a sacrifice." And your boss sounds like a total ass.



Sorry. I just know that my particular situation may require some explanation, and I'm not sure what the best course of action is. And you're right, my boss is an ass, but he's also in a tough spot with a skeleton staff, and that fact remains that he is willing to help me explain this.

What should I do?

User avatar
Diiizzzzoooo
Posts: 123
Joined: Mon Aug 16, 2010 11:18 pm

Re: I Have An Unusual Situation

Postby Diiizzzzoooo » Mon Nov 22, 2010 11:47 pm

whymeohgodno wrote:Your boss is a complete asshole. You tell him months in advance for one day off and he can't even give it to you...multiple times?



Maybe, but again, the background information is irrelevant. This is where I find myself right now.

User avatar
JazzOne
Posts: 2938
Joined: Tue Sep 09, 2008 11:04 am

Re: I Have An Unusual Situation

Postby JazzOne » Mon Nov 22, 2010 11:48 pm

Diiizzzzoooo wrote:
JazzOne wrote:Easy there on the selective quoting. I also said, "it's important what . . . kind of circumstances required such a sacrifice." And your boss sounds like a total ass.



Sorry. I just know that my particular situation may require some explanation, and I'm not sure what the best course of action is. And you're right, my boss is an ass, but he's also in a tough spot with a skeleton staff, and that fact remains that he is willing to help me explain this.

What should I do?

It's really a tough question. You could explain one or two or three, but seven straight. If your circumstances are truly that compelling, I suggest an addendum and an LOR from your boss mentioning how indispensable you are that you will put off law school year after year to make sure his skeleton crew is ok.

grover23
Posts: 46
Joined: Wed Jun 09, 2010 12:31 pm

Re: I Have An Unusual Situation

Postby grover23 » Mon Nov 22, 2010 11:49 pm

i would definitely explain it in some way. whether just by an addendum, or an additional letter from your boss, that may be a question you might pose to an admissions office at some of the schools you're applying to... just what i think, but from what i've heard, adcomms want to hear explanations in circumstances that make them go hmmm

User avatar
Diiizzzzoooo
Posts: 123
Joined: Mon Aug 16, 2010 11:18 pm

Re: I Have An Unusual Situation

Postby Diiizzzzoooo » Mon Nov 22, 2010 11:55 pm

JazzOne wrote:
It's really a tough question. You could explain one or two or three, but seven straight. If your circumstances are truly that compelling, I suggest an addendum and an LOR from your boss mentioning how indispensable you are that you will put off law school year after year to make sure his skeleton crew is ok.



Should my addendum serve as a primer for the LOR? Honestly, what you just suggested was my original idea all along, I was just unsure on how to "pack" it all. Truth is, he feels terrible about putting me in this situation multiple times. He has paid me the $800+ it has cost me and everything. I guess his offer to help explain it all is his way of making it right.

r6_philly
Posts: 10707
Joined: Sat Dec 19, 2009 4:32 pm

Re: I Have An Unusual Situation

Postby r6_philly » Tue Nov 23, 2010 12:01 am

Diiizzzzoooo wrote:
whymeohgodno wrote:Your boss is a complete asshole. You tell him months in advance for one day off and he can't even give it to you...multiple times?



Maybe, but again, the background information is irrelevant. This is where I find myself right now.


It may be irrelevant in this discussion, but if you want someone to give you useful and good advice on this topic, then the info becomes relevant to that person.

It is hard to imagine you could be forced to make this decision. Some occupations come to mind, all of which (that came to mind) would be good topics to write about. So I would suggest you disclose it, and use the space to your advantage. However, this could be patently bad advice if the situation is not all that compelling. So that's why background info is relevant. I mean, you can't get free for 4-5 hours on a day that you chose for at least the last 2 years and losing $$$ in the form of testing fees... it wouldn't be responsible to give you advice without knowing the background info.

User avatar
northwood
Posts: 4872
Joined: Fri May 14, 2010 7:29 pm

Re: I Have An Unusual Situation

Postby northwood » Tue Nov 23, 2010 12:02 am

write an addendum if youd like, but if you do make sure to say that your boss is willing to write or call if you( the law school) would like.

User avatar
MrKappus
Posts: 1685
Joined: Tue Mar 31, 2009 2:46 am

Re: I Have An Unusual Situation

Postby MrKappus » Tue Nov 23, 2010 12:09 am

What if your boss can't stand the thought of losing you as an employee, and so he's thwarted your LSAT-taking at every turn? What if the "addendum" he's offered to write is just the next logical step in his dastardly plan to keep you from going to law school? Just a thought.

User avatar
JazzOne
Posts: 2938
Joined: Tue Sep 09, 2008 11:04 am

Re: I Have An Unusual Situation

Postby JazzOne » Tue Nov 23, 2010 12:10 am

MrKappus wrote:What if your boss can't stand the thought of losing you as an employee, and so he's thwarted your LSAT-taking at every turn? What if the "addendum" he's offered to write is just the next logical step in his dastardly plan to keep you from going to law school? Just a thought.

+1

This story just doesn't pass the smell test.

User avatar
Diiizzzzoooo
Posts: 123
Joined: Mon Aug 16, 2010 11:18 pm

Re: I Have An Unusual Situation

Postby Diiizzzzoooo » Tue Nov 23, 2010 12:12 am

r6_philly wrote:
Diiizzzzoooo wrote:
whymeohgodno wrote:Your boss is a complete asshole. You tell him months in advance for one day off and he can't even give it to you...multiple times?



Maybe, but again, the background information is irrelevant. This is where I find myself right now.


It may be irrelevant in this discussion, but if you want someone to give you useful and good advice on this topic, then the info becomes relevant to that person.

It is hard to imagine you could be forced to make this decision. Some occupations come to mind, all of which (that came to mind) would be good topics to write about. So I would suggest you disclose it, and use the space to your advantage. However, this could be patently bad advice if the situation is not all that compelling. So that's why background info is relevant. I mean, you can't get free for 4-5 hours on a day that you chose for at least the last 2 years and losing $$$ in the form of testing fees... it wouldn't be responsible to give you advice without knowing the background info.



The only reason I am saying it is irrelevant is because a) it doesn't change anything, and b) it isn't compelling at all.

I work on a boat. The job pays well, but unfortunately there is a bare minimum of employees available to do the job. The LSAT falls on my particular shift, and there is one other person available to cover me in the event of an emergency. That person has responsibilities (or perhaps is just a dick), and has not been able to cover those days. My boss encouraged me to register each time, telling me that he can't make any promises, but should he be able to find coverage he would. It hasn't happened. I haven't even had a vacation in the last 4 years.


That job is all I have right now. Again, I have two kids who rely on me. I would never want to jeopardize my employment. It isn't a pretty story, but it's the truth. It may sound Ebenezer Scrooge-ish, but it is what it is. Sorry it isn't glamorous.

User avatar
Diiizzzzoooo
Posts: 123
Joined: Mon Aug 16, 2010 11:18 pm

Re: I Have An Unusual Situation

Postby Diiizzzzoooo » Tue Nov 23, 2010 12:15 am

MrKappus wrote:What if your boss can't stand the thought of losing you as an employee, and so he's thwarted your LSAT-taking at every turn? What if the "addendum" he's offered to write is just the next logical step in his dastardly plan to keep you from going to law school? Just a thought.



ok.

User avatar
JazzOne
Posts: 2938
Joined: Tue Sep 09, 2008 11:04 am

Re: I Have An Unusual Situation

Postby JazzOne » Tue Nov 23, 2010 12:17 am

Diiizzzzoooo wrote:
r6_philly wrote:
Diiizzzzoooo wrote:
whymeohgodno wrote:Your boss is a complete asshole. You tell him months in advance for one day off and he can't even give it to you...multiple times?



Maybe, but again, the background information is irrelevant. This is where I find myself right now.


It may be irrelevant in this discussion, but if you want someone to give you useful and good advice on this topic, then the info becomes relevant to that person.

It is hard to imagine you could be forced to make this decision. Some occupations come to mind, all of which (that came to mind) would be good topics to write about. So I would suggest you disclose it, and use the space to your advantage. However, this could be patently bad advice if the situation is not all that compelling. So that's why background info is relevant. I mean, you can't get free for 4-5 hours on a day that you chose for at least the last 2 years and losing $$$ in the form of testing fees... it wouldn't be responsible to give you advice without knowing the background info.



The only reason I am saying it is irrelevant is because a) it doesn't change anything, and b) it isn't compelling at all.

I work on a boat. The job pays well, but unfortunately there is a bare minimum of employees available to do the job. The LSAT falls on my particular shift, and there is one other person available to cover me in the event of an emergency. That person has responsibilities (or perhaps is just a dick), and has not been able to cover those days. My boss encouraged me to register each time, telling me that he can't make any promises, but should he be able to find coverage he would. It hasn't happened. I haven't even had a vacation in the last 4 years.


That job is all I have right now. Again, I have two kids who rely on me. I would never want to jeopardize my employment. It isn't a pretty story, but it's the truth. It may sound Ebenezer Scrooge-ish, but it is what it is. Sorry it isn't glamorous.

You see, the background is relevant. If this "type of job" is such that you have to operate some kind of ship, then it makes more sense why you can't miss a day of work. Most of us work office or academic jobs where it would be ridiculous not to be able to take off a few days that you planned far in advance.

User avatar
ahduth
Posts: 2468
Joined: Wed Sep 29, 2010 10:55 am

Re: I Have An Unusual Situation

Postby ahduth » Tue Nov 23, 2010 12:23 am

Diiizzzzoooo wrote:That job is all I have right now. Again, I have two kids who rely on me. I would never want to jeopardize my employment. It isn't a pretty story, but it's the truth. It may sound Ebenezer Scrooge-ish, but it is what it is. Sorry it isn't glamorous.


Well, that's pretty compelling. The boss kinda sounds like a meatbag, I wouldn't let him near my application personally, but you obviously know him better than I. Sounds like the addendum needs to tie into the personal statement needs to tie into the single father diversity statement. Or something.




Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: zot1 and 7 guests