How bad is 1 LOR?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
whymeohgodno
Posts: 2508
Joined: Mon Jul 19, 2010 8:15 pm

How bad is 1 LOR?

Postby whymeohgodno » Mon Nov 22, 2010 7:49 pm

Well me being stupid and not asking earlier, I'll have only 1 LOR ready by beginning of December. How bad is it to apply to schools with just one?

User avatar
glitter178
Posts: 771
Joined: Sun Mar 07, 2010 8:21 pm

Re: How bad is 1 LOR?

Postby glitter178 » Mon Nov 22, 2010 7:50 pm

depends. which schools are you applying to?

dakatz
Posts: 2460
Joined: Sat Mar 29, 2008 4:19 pm

Re: How bad is 1 LOR?

Postby dakatz » Mon Nov 22, 2010 7:51 pm

Many schools specifically require 2. Make sure to confirm this because you may not have a choice.

User avatar
vanwinkle
Posts: 9740
Joined: Sun Dec 21, 2008 3:02 am

Re: How bad is 1 LOR?

Postby vanwinkle » Mon Nov 22, 2010 7:52 pm

dakatz wrote:Many schools specifically require 2. Make sure to confirm this because you may not have a choice.

Not only that, but even at schools that only allow one, it will still look bad that you couldn't find two people in your entire academic career thus far who will vouch for you.

User avatar
Sinra
Posts: 240
Joined: Wed Apr 22, 2009 9:15 pm

Re: How bad is 1 LOR?

Postby Sinra » Mon Nov 22, 2010 8:01 pm

vanwinkle wrote:
dakatz wrote:Many schools specifically require 2. Make sure to confirm this because you may not have a choice.

Not only that, but even at schools that only allow one, it will still look bad that you couldn't find two people in your entire academic career thus far who will vouch for you.



Wait, what? If they only allow one why would they look down on you for less than two? NYU requires and recommends one. I sent them one. Not that I'm getting in anyway. :lol:
Last edited by Sinra on Mon Nov 22, 2010 8:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ATR
Posts: 1119
Joined: Sun Oct 03, 2010 9:18 pm

Re: How bad is 1 LOR?

Postby ATR » Mon Nov 22, 2010 8:04 pm

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O_05qJTeNNI

Actually, it's pretty not good. I have two but they're both excellent. From what I understand, 3 is preferable.

whymeohgodno
Posts: 2508
Joined: Mon Jul 19, 2010 8:15 pm

Re: How bad is 1 LOR?

Postby whymeohgodno » Mon Nov 22, 2010 8:28 pm

Ok so I'll take this as a don't send it in with 1 LOR.

whymeohgodno
Posts: 2508
Joined: Mon Jul 19, 2010 8:15 pm

Re: How bad is 1 LOR?

Postby whymeohgodno » Mon Nov 22, 2010 8:35 pm

glitter178 wrote:depends. which schools are you applying to?


And I was applying to lower t14 through t17.

whymeohgodno
Posts: 2508
Joined: Mon Jul 19, 2010 8:15 pm

Re: How bad is 1 LOR?

Postby whymeohgodno » Tue Nov 23, 2010 1:10 am

atresia wrote:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O_05qJTeNNI

Actually, it's pretty not good. I have two but they're both excellent. From what I understand, 3 is preferable.


Is it true that 3 is preferable..?

ATR
Posts: 1119
Joined: Sun Oct 03, 2010 9:18 pm

Re: How bad is 1 LOR?

Postby ATR » Tue Nov 23, 2010 1:50 am

whymeohgodno wrote:
atresia wrote:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O_05qJTeNNI

Actually, it's pretty not good. I have two but they're both excellent. From what I understand, 3 is preferable.


Is it true that 3 is preferable..?

I've seen people say so, but that's assuming you get 3 good ones. 2 good ones >>> 2 good ones and 1 mediocre/bad one. Just make sure you meet what the school "recommends," which you can find on LSAC.

SG09
Posts: 19
Joined: Fri Nov 19, 2010 9:35 pm

Re: How bad is 1 LOR?

Postby SG09 » Tue Nov 23, 2010 2:06 am

atresia wrote:I've seen people say so, but that's assuming you get 3 good ones. 2 good ones >>> 2 good ones and 1 mediocre/bad one. Just make sure you meet what the school "recommends," which you can find on LSAC.

But if a school "recommends" 1, how does 1 good one compare to 1 good one and 1 mediocre one?

ATR
Posts: 1119
Joined: Sun Oct 03, 2010 9:18 pm

Re: How bad is 1 LOR?

Postby ATR » Tue Nov 23, 2010 2:51 am

SG09 wrote:
atresia wrote:I've seen people say so, but that's assuming you get 3 good ones. 2 good ones >>> 2 good ones and 1 mediocre/bad one. Just make sure you meet what the school "recommends," which you can find on LSAC.

But if a school "recommends" 1, how does 1 good one compare to 1 good one and 1 mediocre one?

I don't know for sure, but, personally, I error on the side of having quality LORs for sure than trying to add another that may be underwhelming.




Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Aquinas, ATLgroupie, Baidu [Spider], Bing [Bot], TriSapien and 8 guests