UR at Berkeley without LoR?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
camelcrema

UR at Berkeley without LoR?

Postby camelcrema » Mon Nov 22, 2010 4:47 pm

I just went under review at Berkeley, but LSAC says one of my Letters of Rec (that was assigned to Berkeley) has not yet been received. Does this mean they are reviewing without the letter?

Oh, and sorry for the false alarm to those of you who are waiting for Berkeley decisions today; I know every time you see "Berkeley" in a thread title, your heart skips a beat.

sarahh

Re: UR at Berkeley without LoR?

Postby sarahh » Mon Nov 22, 2010 4:56 pm

It is possible. LORs are not required at Berkeley.

whymeohgodno

Postby whymeohgodno » Mon Nov 22, 2010 5:08 pm

Weird

r6_philly

Postby r6_philly » Mon Nov 22, 2010 5:25 pm

From the LSAC application instructions:

Letters of Recommendation (LORs)
Letters of recommendation are optional and are not required to complete your application. If you are sending letters, we recommend that you submit two letters from recommenders who are familiar with your past academic performance and are able to assess your potential for law study, such as professors or teaching assistants. If you have been away from academia for some time, letters from work colleagues are often valuable. A dean's certification letter is not required.

The Admissions Office will not hold your application for review pending receipt of your letters of recommendation. If you want all of your letters to be considered in the review process, be sure that they are available with your Credential Assembly Service (CAS) report at the time you submit your application.

You are required to use the LSAC Letter of Recommendation Service if you submit letters. This service is included in your CAS registration. Your letters will be sent electronically to Berkeley Law with your CAS report. LSAC will transmit a maximum of four letters to Berkeley Law.

Emphasis original.

ads222

Postby ads222 » Tue Nov 23, 2010 2:12 am

berkeley's weird because their website seems to suggest that 2 LORs are required, but the LSAC website says that none are required. i went under review without any LORs -- big oops, to say the least. one was received maybe a week after i went under review, and another was received a full month after i went ur.

i have a missed call from earlier tonight from dean tom (his number, at least). i think you have time to get LORs in, and even if you have just 1 LOR in by the time they read your application, i doubt it will be to any great detriment. (as long as the 1 LOR is actually a strong one, that is)

im_blue

Postby im_blue » Tue Nov 23, 2010 2:22 am

ads222 wrote:berkeley's weird because their website seems to suggest that 2 LORs are required, but the LSAC website says that none are required. i went under review without any LORs -- big oops, to say the least. one was received maybe a week after i went under review, and another was received a full month after i went ur.

i have a missed call from earlier tonight from dean tom (his number, at least). i think you have time to get LORs in, and even if you have just 1 LOR in by the time they read your application, i doubt it will be to any great detriment. (as long as the 1 LOR is actually a strong one, that is)

Most likely they used to require LORs but no longer do. NU's web site also has the same problem.

r6_philly

Postby r6_philly » Tue Nov 23, 2010 10:59 am

im_blue wrote:
ads222 wrote:berkeley's weird because their website seems to suggest that 2 LORs are required, but the LSAC website says that none are required. i went under review without any LORs -- big oops, to say the least. one was received maybe a week after i went under review, and another was received a full month after i went ur.

Most likely they used to require LORs but no longer do. NU's web site also has the same problem.

I wouldn't trust any websites to always have the latest updated info ( I know this best :mrgreen: ). The priority is always with the actual app and instructions.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”